PDA

View Full Version : ebay - auction or store?

annay
05-11-2002, 12:40 PM
Hi

I am a complete novice so far as promoting my art via the internet is concerned, but I am going to try ebay as a first step.

Do you think my first attempt should be in an auction or a store?

Ann

timelady
05-11-2002, 02:02 PM
If it's your first try definitely start with some auctions. If possible, you might want to build up a bit of positive feedback by winning some smaller auctions. For things you'd like, of course! :) Maybe tapes, books, videos, or something. Once you're settled in and decide if you like eBay and it's system (ie price ranges and the customers) then you could try a store. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're sure though. And with a store I still run some auctions - stores on their own don't seem well advertised. I think most bidders see auctions and then visit the seller's store. I know that's how I've found some stuff to buy.

Hope that helps a bit. :)
Tina.

Sumafra
05-11-2002, 06:13 PM
Just something to keep in mind, in order to have a store, you must have a feedback rating of 20 or more, OR be ID verified which is only available to people living in the US. For me, living in Canada, my feeback rating is now 17, so I have to wait until I go up to 20 before I can even try it.

annay
05-12-2002, 02:23 PM
Thank you Tina and Sumafra (?Suzette) for your advice and information - I hadn't realised that the choice between auction and store was not actually open to me yet! Probably better that way, anyway, for the time being. It'll give me time to get to know the system and perhaps, as you advise, Tina, to try it out from the buyer's angle.

All the best,

Ann

tammy
05-17-2002, 10:42 PM
I've heard that the stores only help if you have auctions too. They kind of point the way to your store.

annay
05-18-2002, 12:37 PM
That sounds like sense, too, Tammy. Thinking about it, I would probably only visit someone's store if I had seen something else of theirs that I liked in the auctions - otherwise I'd be trawling through stores for ever.

Thank you for responding, Tammy

Ann