PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on this for awhile :( Help sought

designergigi
05-11-2002, 11:20 AM
bonjour!

This painting has been staring back at me for some time, now. I can't put my finger on it, but, it seems to be missing something.

Ideas welcome!
Thanks in advance,
Gigi

20 x 24 acrylic on canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2002/Girl_going_home.JPG

Here's another that I am more pleased with and like the "painterly" effect it gives. It is a copy of a Pisarro. I am self taught, and use this method to improve.
Again, I appreciate the help!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2002/Painting_in_the_Pisarro_style.JPG

LDianeJohnson
05-11-2002, 06:06 PM
Hi Gigi,

It is hard to say what is missing since we do not have the original you painted from to faithfully compare.

However, just taking it as posted, you have many tall verticals; the house, the figure, the trees to the right. The figure is fairly far to the right and the open sky area tends to separate the house and figure even more. You have plenty of subjects in this piece, you just need to visually tie the figure to the house. Is the scene telling a story about this woman in blue? Perhaps she longs to go to the house or is just enjoying being outside? If you can clarify her relationship to the scene it would solidify it more. And if you could correct the front side of the roof so it naturally comes forward more, this would pull it into the painting rather than away from the scene.

You could also bring some of the grass up overlapping the bottom of her dress so it looks like she is in the grass rather than floating above it.

You've chosen a great master painter to learn from in Pissaro. Keep up the good work!

All the Best,
Diane

designergigi
05-11-2002, 08:58 PM
Actually, there is no original to compare this first work to, Diane. It was just a composition I put together. Your advice to put tie the woman to the house is exactly right. I guess I am not sure what I want to do to accomplish this task. I like the advice about pulling the grass up. I did a little of this, obviously not enough if she appears to "float". :)

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. I admire your work a great deal.

Thanks,
Gigi

orchidlover6
05-13-2002, 12:59 PM
i think you need more darker tones also. squint your eyes and look at the picture. Does it all look the same? or does certain parts pop out at you? If nothing does, your colors are too closely related.

btw I like your second post the best. it has more contrast to it too.

ikre8t
05-14-2002, 12:18 PM
I have to agree...I feel the woman needs to get into the grass a bit, or as previously suggested pulling the grass up a bit.

Orrrrrrrr....I could see something or someone way in the forground. Someone following her? too much suggestion, sorry

I love the second piece!!!:clap: I can walk right into this one, and would do so, very inviting, makes me want to reach the cool shade of the veranda/porch of this home. Love it!

Lori

designergigi
05-15-2002, 12:21 PM
Orchid lover, I think you are quite right about my colors not having enough punch. I had come to the same conclusion myself. I am going to rework some of the trees and see what happens. Normally, my paintings have a lot of color and contrast. So...here goes...

Lori, thanks for the compliment. I erred when I stated it was a Pisarro, it is actually by Callibote (I think that is the correct spelling) who's work reminds me a great deal of Pisarro. I love the freedom I see in his strokes.
I am going to put some grass up onto the woman, as well. That seems to be a recurring theme on this thread...

I'll post the revised painting again.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your input.

Gigi

terrygar
05-15-2002, 04:43 PM
I really like the second one it show real talent and it looks very european. The first one draws my eye directly to that hat and then it trails off to the sky (sky is very good).

I like paintings that control my eye and lead me.