PDA

View Full Version : Purple Flowers

RooGal
06-12-2007, 08:15 AM
:wave: G'day,
As a beginner in pastels and art in general, I've only posted in the monthly projects so far. Thought I would try one solo, so here it is. I found this in the reference library, my apologies for not recalling who submitted it; but I thought the shapes were simple enough for me. The flash has washed it out a bit.

I'm wondering if I should have gone a shade darker in all the flowers, now that I'm looking at it here. Would appreciate any C&C as I am here to learn. And I am hoping I am moving in the right direction.
Cheers,
Pam

Doodlebug1967
06-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Hi Pam, Your flowers look good. It's hard to tell if the flowers should be darker without seeing the reference image. When I do something light like that I always hear that I should have more darks for contrast in the image. Maybe just a little more shadow in the underlying flowers. Otherwise, I think you are doing a great job.

Ronda

RooGal
06-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks Ronda. I have had a lot of fun creating it. Although when to blend, when not to blend, when to stop blending :lol: I find at times, it's hard to keep my hands off it after a while and am trying hard not to ruin it.

I think I still have the reference photo, so will try and attach it to this post.

Cheers,
Pam

Forgot to mention this was done on Canson (smooth side), with Rembrandts, Art Spectrum and Sennelier pastels.

NickyW
06-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Hi Pam your flowers look really soft and pretty..good work.

RooGal
06-13-2007, 06:20 AM
Thanks for that Nicky. Looking at that blotchy background, I can see I'll have to use the easel from now on. I painted it while it was flat on the table, so from my angle it didn't look quite so "rough".

Have been thinking about perhaps trying it again, this time using darker shades. Will see how it goes, but for now just lying low with a wicked head and upper respiratory bug.

Cheers for now,
Pam

NickyW
06-13-2007, 06:54 AM
Hi Pam, awwww:grouphug: feeling for you with the flu bug as i have it myself, thought i was going ok but getting a sore throat again...Yes an easel does help, im pretty new to art and pastels, and WC, so i am right at the start too. Its a really nice homely place here, with lots of lovely helpful people. Its all about learning, so go for it when you feel better, i seem to be stuck at the moment on my artwork, not really going in any direction. Mainly due to not feeling so good. So from one Aussie to another Welcome and happy painting.

RooGal
06-13-2007, 05:54 PM
thought i was going ok but getting a sore throat again...

Oi I hope I don't start all over again with the sore throat. Stock up on OJ.
Hope you are better soon.

im pretty new to art and pastels, and WC, so i am right at the start too. Its a really nice homely place here, with lots of lovely helpful people. Its all about learning, so go for it when you feel better, i seem to be stuck at the moment on my artwork, not really going in any direction.

I find that I get stuck as well, I think alot of it is because I have so many ideas running through my head, I don't know where to start first. I want to do it all. :lol:

NickyW
06-13-2007, 07:52 PM
I find that I get stuck as well, I think alot of it is because I have so many ideas running through my head, I don't know where to start first. I want to do it all. :lol: [/QUOTE]
Yes i can relate to that too, phew thought i was going mad:lol: . I have been doing my own juices too, lots of different vegies and fruit..been quite yum.

svo164
03-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Wow are you making progress! The subtle coloration in these will show up in later works, too. You give me hope for myself. I really like these. The texture and fragility come through, and the colors are beautiful.
Sandra