PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher June 11 - June 17

Pat Isaac
06-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Good morning everyone,

It was a busy weekend with graduation parties and computer glitches..Spent Sat. running back and forth to the Apple store(it is nearby) with my computer paraphenalia. Icons wouldn't appear on desktop and I couldn't download my pictures. They tested everything at the store and all worked....go figure...The technician said he thought the computer just wanted a ride :lol: Anyway it all worked at home too, so all it cost was a few rides back and forth.
So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

AngelaF
06-12-2007, 07:51 AM
How ironic, Pat. But glad it wasn't more serious and didn't keep you out of commission. I had a nice weekend at my brother's house. Startied stripping wallpaper yesterday -- the product I used was not quite as good as claimed -- but better than anything I have tried before (on the same wall) and is not toxic to work with -- it is still work -- but I can see it as doable at least. Last time I tried to strip some of the walls here before papering over them, the wall board was getting damaged. I am inching along on my painting -- 40 minutes or an hour here and there. The doctor said he didn't think my mom should go back to assisted living just yet due to weakness -- but really she can't find anything to do there but lie in bed too much -- she is supposed to talk to physical therapy today and I will talk to assisted living. She is very frail and does not eat as much as she should -- but I don't think she will get better staying there. Just is scary, worrying about her falling again. I get a glimpse of what it would be like to worry about your children, but you can't keep them in a glass bubble, can you?

Supposed to be warm and dry here all week, hope you are all doing well. Angela

Pat Isaac
06-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Ugh...stripping wallpaper...sometimes it's easy and sometimes its not! When we bought out house there was bright red wallpaper in one of the rooms that my husband would be using for an office, so right away we decided to change it. Well, underneath was the old horsehair, plaster and slat walls. What a mess. the house is over 100 yrs. old and that was the construction then. I don't think there are any more walls left like that in the house now. Good luck with your task.
I'm sorry to hear that your mother is still having trouble. It is a worry and I hope it all works out for your Mom.
Glad to hear the painting is progressing. Keep it up.:)

Pat

wabbitt
06-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi Pat, Angela, everyone :)

I had a quiet Sunday at home, as Mom was feeling tired. Since we blew off our plans to go a local Greek festival, I found myself sitting at my art table with nothing to paint or draw. I ended up doing two more support experiments which I finished last night: Colorfix clear primer over an acrylic wash and liquitex clear gesso over an acrylic wash. I was expecting the Liquetex gesso to feel like the black or white gesso, but I was surprised to feel the same texture as the colorfix. As you may know already I didn't like sanded texture for OPs. This did not change my mind. So on the other test, I used soft pastels. I love it for soft pastels! Just don't expect any finished SP work from me any time soon. I still don't like the dust enough to work much in SPs.

Pat Isaac
06-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Interesting experiments, Julie. I do like the clear gesso, but I also like the sanded surfaces for OPs. Was the acrylic wash just a solid color?
It's a cold cloudy day here so I am trying to get a batch of my notecards printed up for an upcoming show.

Pat

wabbitt
06-13-2007, 03:26 PM
yes, pat, it was just a solid color. However, I didn't take care to make it a nice even, flat color. I just wanted to see how color came through the clear gesso or clear primer. I liked that part. The test sketches are up on my sketch blog. Click on the picture to make it bigger.

Pat Isaac
06-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Nice sketches, Julie. I really like the one on the left with the colorfix primer.

Pat

AngelaF
06-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Nice sketches and blog, Julie. I like the color in the one on the viewers' left, also.

Still stripping wallpaper and making phone calls trying to help get my mom back to assisted living. Should know if my mom can back later today -- assisted living going to evaluate her this morning and talk with the doctor if they think she is ready to come back.

Supposed to help my friend get horse trailer repairs done today, so she can go barrel racing on Saturday. Not getting any painting done last few evenings, kept wall paper stripping after dinner. Then exhausted. Unless I am at my mom's I hope to work on the painting most of Saturday. Even if I go to mom's I hope to work on it Saturday evening. Good luck with your show, Pat. My walls are wallboard, because my house was built in 1984. Did you have to have the walls replastered when you got down to the original plaster in your house, Pat? Angela

Pat Isaac
06-14-2007, 09:18 AM
I hope you get some positive answers regarding your Mom today.
Yes, some of the wall had to be replastered, but not entirely, more like spot repatching. We have since taken off the wall paper in that room again a few years back and had to repatch in a few places. The wall paper came off realtively easy though. Good luck with your walls.

Pat

CarlyHardy
06-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Hello everyone!

Pat, the next time your computer acts up, just drive it around the block! :D I know how frustrating it can be to try and get those things to do something that they don't want to do!

Angela, did you consider just painting over the wallpaper? I've done that several times....a coat of kilz and then the paint. Can make for a nice texture too if the paper is textured. My favorite paper remover is 409 (the household cleaner. It worked better than the stripper stuff.

I just posted the notice in the Oil Pastel Society forum about this year's show. Deborah did a wonderful job as judge this year!

I'm off to the studio now....have a late night tonight. We're doing some advertising down on the Main Street in a storefront that no one is leasing at the moment. The owner lets us set up paintings and do demos there Friday and Saturday nights. I'm hoping it will help to make folks more aware of our location!

carly

Pat Isaac
06-15-2007, 03:02 PM
What a nice way to advertise, Carly and you're having fun at the same time.

Is anyone else having a problem with not receiving emails??? I haven't had any since yesterday.

Pat

AngelaF
06-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Congratulations, Pat, on the second place in the Oil Pastel Society show!!!!

Thanks for you thoughts, Carly, on the wallpaper stripping -- I am making it -- the stuff I am using, Wallwik, is better than what used to be available -- and it is not harmful to pets or me or the environment.

The assisted living wanted the orthopedist's permissin for my mom to come back, also -- he would not return calls last week. I got my mom an LOA from dinner time today until dinner time tomorrow. The catch is, I have to be with her, she doesn't come here so I will be taking her to her apartment at the assisted living. I hope she does well, that will make it easire to feel better about her going back there alone, next week. I was going to treat myself to painting today, but that is out now. It is too hard to transport my OP and current project. I am tinking of buying a small set of acrylics and a little canvas trying them while I am there. I have only tried acrylics once, about 30 years ago, but was thinking of going to Michael's on the way to mom's and picking up a water color sized set if I can and do maybe a 4X6. Will see if I can get anything on the way.

Catch you all later -- hope you are having a nice weekend. Angela

Pat Isaac
06-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks, Angela and good luck with your Mom. Hope all works out.

Did you get the acrylics?

Pat