PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Weekend

Old Tex
06-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Since I find painting rocks pretty intimidating, I decided to face my fears and try some studies this weekend. I found myself working with pretty thin paint, probably because I was on unfamiliar ground. May as well be brave and share these.

Both are 8x10 ~ Gouache
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2007/100938-Diving_Rock.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2007/100938-Rock_Pile.jpg

pelucco
06-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Hi

I'm a newbie here and I'm very fond of gouache.
I've seen many of your works and they are VERY VERY nice.
Could you PLEASE post a WIP so that I can learn something about this medium and not just keep on sighing for looking at your beautyfull works.

Sorry for my broken English.

Thanks,

:wave:

Liliana, Italy

meglyman
06-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Ralph,

These look great, especially for your first try at rocks! It definitely has your style printed on it, although it has a different feel because of the more transparent application. I love the earthy colors and the texture in the water.

I like that the rocks and their shadows have a high contrast - I think you could extend that and add more middle-to-dark areas. The lower right rock in the second painting has a nice range of values that make it look more textured.

Excellent work, again. You continue to be an inspiration. I am trying to be disciplined and finish a huge pencil piece before I paint again, but you're making it difficult. :D

Meg

Old Tex
06-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Liliana, I actually did take a few progress photos of the first one as I went along. I don't have the nerve yet to do an actual WIP for fear that it will go really bad somewhere along the way! I'll post the progress photos and try to explain what I did. Thanks for the very nice comments!

Thanks, Meg! I'm beginning to narrow down the subjects I DON't do well yet, but living in Texas, I've GOT to be able to paint rocks, so not doing them is just not an option. Gotta learn.

Learned a very valuable little lesson here. Never do an 8x10 on exactly 8x10 paper or board! I pulled some 8x10 scraps out of the pile, taped them down on the sides and went at it. Ended up painting right to the edges, and had little unpainted strips where the tape was. Duh! Going back and matching paint is not one of my strong points yet!

dbclemons
06-11-2007, 02:47 PM
...had little unpainted strips where the tape was. Duh! Going back and matching paint is not one of my strong points yet!

Why not just cut off that unpainted border?

Seleeni
06-11-2007, 03:04 PM
I really like your rocks, Ralph, especially #2. A few more midtones as Meg suggested sounds good. What kind of paper did you use? I look forward to seeing more how these developed.
Selene

meglyman
06-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Why not just cut off that unpainted border?

Yeah, or just mat it... most mats cut well into the standard 8x10 dimensions!

Old Tex
06-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Well, I already tried them in 8x10 frames, and really like the way they look. I've already touched one of them up, and didn't really tape all the way around, so it's not a big deal. Just was kind of dumb on my part. Even though this is serious stuff to me, you'll find that I'm not afraid to laugh at myself.

Selene, these are on Crescent cold press illustration board. I'm kind of a creature of habit. I'm comfortable with it, and it's all I work on.