PDA

View Full Version : What's In Your eBay Package?

Shai
05-10-2002, 09:39 PM
When sending your SOLD artwork to the highest eBay bidder, what do you include in the package apart from the painting?

I just started selling at eBay last week and I sold one painting (out of the two I listed). And I included the following:

- the sold painting
- certificate of authenticity
- thank you letter (printed on a letterhead)
- a free laminated bookmark (with my ebay ID, website, email, & a small coloured print of one of my paintings; in this case, the print of the sold painting)
- a short bio with photo and my artist's statement

(all the printed documents are in colour)

Later on, I plan to change/add some of the freebies I include for variety.

Is there anything else I should be sending (or shouldn't be sending)? Also, what type and size of paper do you use for printing COAs?

Anyway, I know this may not be cost effective at this point (my 5x7 acrylic painting on canvas panel is just selling at US$5.90 right now), but I figured that like any business, the start-up costs can later be covered once you've proven to have a good product and good customer service. What do you think?

Sumafra
05-10-2002, 10:49 PM
I send an invoice (marked paid in full), a certificate of authenticity and my bio. On the invoice, I have at the bottom the following:

Thank you for you bid and for your prompt payment. Hope you get lots of enjoyment from your new painting.

All rights reserved by the artist. This artwork may not be reproduced by any means whatsoever without the express permission of the artist.

Then at the bottom, I write, Thank you and sign my name.

Shai
05-10-2002, 11:21 PM
Thanks, sumafra!

The invoice is a good idea! Do you make your own? If yes, how? If not, how do you come up with your invoice?

I also have a copyright statement in my COA. However, I did not specify the second sentence you mentioned. Maybe I should go add that one.

Again, thanks!

CarlyHardy
05-11-2002, 12:21 AM
Shai, I think you have started out much better than I did. It took me six months to get everything included in my 'package' that I felt would be helpful to the buyer and for me to appear more professional.

I send a Letter of Authentication...instead of a certificate. It's on letterhead (I create it with my software program) and individual to the buyer and the painting. I include instructions on how to remove any 'rolling' that occurs with watercolor paper during shipping and I remind the buyer that its important to mat and frame with acid-free materials to insure the life of their original artwork. Thank them for choosing my art and sign it personally. At the bottom I put my copyright notice and in tiny print a statement that this is a letter of authentication that they have received an original work of art by me.

I include a short bio with my artist's statement on the same type letterhead. This can be attached to the back of the painting if the buyer chooses to do that.

I like your idea of the bookmark! That's a nice little gift!
For my repeat buyers, I sometimes compliment their shipping.
carly

Maggie J
05-11-2002, 01:23 AM
I send a comp slip with invoice, flyer advertising my portrait commissions with my art history on the back and a signed and dated cert of authenticity which includes a copyright notice.

Carly - excuse my dumb question but how do you remove any rolling that occurs during shipping? I send my paintings rolled and it really bothers me that this happens!

thanks
Maggie J

:D

Shai
05-11-2002, 05:02 AM
As always, you have wonderful ideas, Carly. Thanks for always being so generous with them. :)

I have also been wondering whether to add a "How To Care For Your Painting" tip sheet. Pretty much like the one you mentioned. But in this case, I was hoping to come up with different tips for different types of paintings I would like to sell (acrylics on canvas panel/stretched/paper, watercolours, oils on canvas panel/stretched).

I wonder if WetCanvas has something we can print out, use, and give for free to our buyers? Nothing grand, just some simple tips to help the buyers care for their painting.

Maggie - I have a dumb question too: what's a comp slip? :o

arlene
05-11-2002, 10:50 AM
I send a flyer printed on photo quality paper of all my flowers...(well most) and it has all my business info on it...along with a thank you postcard with one of my images on the front...or if they bought one of the still lifes, I send a postcard with another image of mine and on the back will be my thank you...I hadn't thought of sending an invoice since they can just print it off the computer...but I think i have to reconsider...

pampe
05-11-2002, 12:34 PM
wow

do I feel like a novice...you guys are great!

I started out with the fully wrapped and protected work gift wrapped and my business card attached, but I have never done anything about authenicity or my bio....can you say more about these?

Thanks
Pam

timelady
05-11-2002, 02:41 PM
I include an invoice (just an invoice duplicate book I buy at Office World and attach my business card to) marked paid, signed with a thank you. And usually a postcard of my work or a greeting card (new, just started these).

And bubblewrap. :)

I rather like the idea of including a greeting card with an image of the painting they've purchased, so they can send it to someone. All my cards have my name and website on the back. I only do a certificate if requested and don't send a CV since most of my buyers are very far away from me and buying work much cheaper than my exhibition work anyway. They can check my website for the most recent information on shows.

Tina.

Sumafra
05-11-2002, 06:10 PM
Shai, I do my own invoice in Corel Wordperfect, any word processing software will do. As to my bio, I have now developed a brochure which I will enclose instead of the bio, as my bio is contained in the brochure plus several pictures of my work. You never know, something might catch their eye and I might make another sale. Never know. I just like the package to arrive with a personal touch rather than just the painting.

Maggie J
05-12-2002, 08:40 AM
:DHello Shai
A comp slip is short for compliment slip and to be honest I don't know if they may just be a British thing? or perhaps i'ts just us who shorten the name! It's sort of like a letter headed peice of paper but smaller - about a quarter of an A4 sheet with 'With Compliments' printed on the top - you can add your own note to it and it's enclosed when you send someone stuff - usually business documents to be honest , but I started sending them with little more personal notes of thanks on them and also the amount paid in full printed on them.

I think a 'Care of your painting' sheet is a great idea would also be glad of advice on caring for acrylics

Maggie J

dk_art
05-14-2002, 03:39 AM
"What's In Your eBay Package?"

Well with a bit of luck, the correct item is within my package :D

Shai
05-14-2002, 05:17 AM
Suzette,

The brochure is a great idea. I saw a copy of yours which you posted in the other forum. It looks great! Maybe I'll consider this once I start selling regularly. Or, would you recommend it for beginning sellers as well?

Thanks for the invoice tip as well. I'll definitely look into this.

:)

Shai
05-14-2002, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Maggie J
A comp slip is short for compliment slip and to be honest I don't know if they may just be a British thing? or perhaps i'ts just us who shorten the name!

LOL! Yeah, you'd think that I'd be used to words getting shorter since I've been married to a Brit for the past 2.5 years. ;) It took me a while to get used to calling things such as brolly (sp?), telly, breaky, etc. :D

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Yes, I remember receiving comp slips while I was in the UK, attached to something given by the hotel or something.

The comp slip does seem like a nice personal touch, especially when handwritten by the giver. Thanks for the idea!

Shai
05-14-2002, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by dk_art
Well with a bit of luck, the correct item is within my package :D

LOL! It gets me scared to think about sending something with the wrong item too. :D

Sumafra
05-14-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Shai
The brochure is a great idea... would you recommend it for beginning sellers as well?
:)

Yes Shai, I think it would work for everyone. It looks professional so you don't LOOK like a beginner, it shows them other pieces you have for sale and, who knows, it might result in more sales? You don't have to have a ton of them printed. You could just print a few at a time yourself on your own printer. This way, you could change the paintings shown on it once they are sold and no longer available for sale.

Shai
05-15-2002, 12:30 AM
OK, I'm definitely looking into your advise, Suzette. Maybe once I have something, I'll post it in the other forum. :)

BTW, did you put only similar styles/medium of paintings in your brochure or did you mix styles/medium?

arlene
05-15-2002, 12:53 AM
shai best advice is never to mix...it's confusing...do separate brochures for you different styles

tammy
05-17-2002, 10:35 PM
I send a biz card, bill of sale and a brochure.

timelady
05-18-2002, 07:35 AM
I agree about not mixing styles. Plus, that way you can include the brochure or leaflet with the same type of work they just purchased. Much more focused marketing. :) Valid for not only eBay but shows and stuff too.

Tina.

Shai
05-18-2002, 08:16 AM
Thanks, Arlene and Tina!

I'll keep this in mind once I start making brochures.

waynebrekke
05-30-2002, 11:05 AM
Greetings all!
wow, my experience with this site keeps getting better and better. here in omaha i am starting to make a name for myself and my art. and now i am a full time artist and stay at home dad. i use the computer alot for things such as this to advance my art. i had no idea that ebay was a viable source for art. (shows you how new i am) i thought since it was so huge that finding art was too daunting for most. but hey i will try anything. i have a few questions though.

1. posting your pic on ebay.
the tutorial had a simple pic insert (browse), but i heard that before, you had to have the pic located on the web already. is this true? will it work from my personal site? how do i do this exactly?

2. will the ebay set up , set up the pay pal for me if i already have a paypal account? how easy is this?

3. what are your tips on letting collectors know youre out there? i am all about the promotion and marketing. (guerilla marketing especially)

i know this may have been covered already, but i get close to my answers, but havent got them answered yet. so help is very appreciated. i want to get started asap. im sure i will have more questions so please bear with me.

also i love the package stuff! I do that as well. i send home with the buyer a certificate, business card, my newsletter, receipt, and i have done bookmarks too! i also made a larger plackard that i tape to the back of the works that is colorful andin the shape of an artists pallet with my website, name, and other redundant stuff that they can keep on the painting. it also has the painting info on it like title, medium, date, and size. like thier very own title card. this can stay on the back of the piece even after they hang it.

thank you for all the help.
here is my personal website! Checkit out! (http://www.wayneartgallery.com) :D

waynebrekke
05-30-2002, 11:10 AM
One other thing,
i am also a musician, and have found that promoting my art is very close to promoting my band. i will post a new thread on this, but i thought it to be relevant.

i have an "artist package" somewhat like a press kit for bands. in it i have my resume, statement, press copy, biz card, art examples, and anyting else i can use to market. i send these kits when looking into booking live painting demos, for galleryowners, etc.

i am also looking into cd rom protfolios / artist kits too. imagine a potential client being able to pop in a cd rom and see your portfolio, video or art in progress. pix of you working, q&a, resume, bio etc... the list goes on!!

my brain is full...

arlene
05-30-2002, 11:14 AM
wayne i think what you're talking about is different then what we're asking here.

we're talking about what we put in the box when we mail off a sold item to a customer who has bought from us on ebay.

your package is correct in sending to galleries, etc, but quite frankly for me to include all that for a $10.00 ebay sale isn't worth it...the printing and folder alone would cost that much.

this has been addressed quite a number of times in the general business forum.

waynebrekke
05-30-2002, 11:18 AM
ok, thanks. as i said, im new and still finding some threads that i can get info for my questions. sorry.

i also just wanted to commend additional packaging. i just tend to address more that one thing in some posts to get maximum feedback.

i aggree, i would send the entire kit with a piece purchased off ebay. a smaller more to the point - but personal one is needed.

waynebrekke
05-30-2002, 11:20 AM
i meant "would NOT" send the entire artist kit. uugg. need more coffee...

arlene
05-30-2002, 12:00 PM
Thanks wayne...as you said a good package is essential.

Sumafra
05-30-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by waynebrekke
1. posting your pic on ebay.
the tutorial had a simple pic insert (browse), but i heard that before, you had to have the pic located on the web already.

If you use Ebay's hosting service, you can download them from your computer to the Ebay site, therefore don't need to have them on the internet already. Otherwise, yes you would.

2. will the ebay set up , set up the pay pal for me if i already have a paypal account? how easy is this?

Paypal is a different set up than Ebay's Billpoint. If you have an account, you just put that in your listing and your buyers can use it. No problem.

3. what are your tips on letting collectors know youre out there? i am all about the promotion and marketing. (guerilla marketing especially)

If you have a mailing list, you might send an announcement. But I think you wil find that your Ebay customers will be quite different from your regular customers, so you might not want to announce to one and all that you are now selling on Ebay. Just my opinion of course.

Faafil
10-06-2002, 07:35 PM
Got some grrrreat ideas from this thread - you guys are super!!

Thought I'd share what I plan to do along with including a COA and thank you letter.

I just sold a few paintings on eBay (whooohoooo!!), and thought I might also send a "thank you" postcard with the image of the painting through Amazing Mail. If you buy quantities of their postcards, they cost about $0.83 cents or less including postage.

I bought 100 on special for $47.00. You upload your image to their site, address & personalize your message, and they print & mail it for you. The postcards are 110 lb. heavy stock, glossy photo quality paper.

I used these last year as my Christmas cards and everyone loved them, and I intend to do the same this year... saves a ton of time too...

You can visit the site at:

http://www.amazingmail.com

Shai
10-06-2002, 08:37 PM
Wow! That looks like a great site! Thanks! And, it looks like they send TO international addresses too. Yay!

I wonder if they can accept business FROM someone outside the US as well? I'll investigate more. :) Many thanks again! If it works, it looks like exactly what I need!

Faafil
10-06-2002, 08:48 PM
oh, you're very welcome Shai ! I hope it works for you... I started using AmazingMail about 2 years ago - sent one to myself as a test, and it's very high quality... You can also keep your address book online, so you just "click & send"... very cool...

Also, earlier in the thread, Carly mentioned instructions on how to remove the curls from "rolling" your artwork - Carly, anybody, how do you achieve this ??

Thanks guys, have an inspiring day ! (and many happy sales on eBay!!)...

sandge
10-07-2002, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Shai
I wonder if they can accept business FROM someone outside the US as well?
When I contacted them back in March, the answer was 'no':

"Thank you for contacting us. We are only providing service to U.S. residents at this time. We hope to expand our services to other countries in the near future.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause, and we appreciate your patience."

Shai
10-07-2002, 04:07 AM
Sandra, you're right! I've done some investigating. They can send TO and FROM other countries, but you still need a US billing address to use their services.

:(

cagathoc
10-07-2002, 08:58 AM
awesome tip! thanks so much!