PDA

View Full Version : New to coloured pencils, help!

TFB
03-30-2005, 05:25 AM
Hi,
I am very keen to try coloured pencils. Can't find Sanford prismacolours in Australia. Faber Castell polychromos are available...are these the oil based ones? Are these suitable to start off with? I am looking for something soft and intense in colour and easy to blend. Derwents are available, but think they might too hard. Would a pack of 36 be sufficient or should I go for 60 or more? Surprisingly there is no saving per pencil buying the larger quantity, but maybe I need to have a larger range of colours. Not sure whether they are sold separately here.
Look forward to any help,
TFB

Katherine T
03-30-2005, 06:05 AM
TFB - Welcome to the CP Forum - I hope you enjoy it here, there's always a lot of people who are pleased to help, just bear with us given the time difference ;)

Down to business - Australia is a mighty large place - if you can say where you live we can try and sort out stores which might not be thousands of miles away! :D

We don't get the prismacolors in the UK (although we do have a brand called Karisma by Berol - esentially same people and same pencil although it looks very different) so I've also looked hard at the opposition.

Faber Castell Polychromos are oil based professional grade artists pencils - and they're super. They blend really well - and you can get a very nice super slick effect going if you work them for some time. They don't tend to break - a problem which has occurred from time to time when people have used prismacolor pencils.

This is a link to the online store of Oxford Art in Sydney (http://shop.oxfordart.com.au/cache/header-2027public__0-0.html?cache=no) from which you can order FC Polychromos. After doing the currency conversion and checking the equivalent per pencil price, I think I'll be buying a new set in Oz when I next visit my sister rather than bringing mine with me! If it's the store I think it is, if anybody is going to do individual pencils from stock then they are. Why not give then a ring?

I started with a 36 pencil set of Lyra Rembrandts and that's a very satisfactory number - although I don't know what you get in the set for the FC Polychromos. I'd go for as many as you can afford - can you stretch to the 60 pencil set?

Also check out whether Lyra Rembrandts are available in Australia - these are also oil based and mix well with the polychromos. You can read a review I've written of them if you click here for a review of Lyra Rembrandt coloured pencils (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Products/censura.php?tsid=1&csid=5c1ffb7fa470919b987651d50e80dd22&cmd=details&itemid=1250&username=Katherine+T) George Britnell has also rated and reviewed prismacolour pencils - click here for a review of Sanford Prismacolor pencils (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Products/censura.php?tsid=1&csid=5c1ffb7fa470919b987651d50e80dd22&cmd=details&itemid=555&username=gbritnell)

What we need to do now of course is develop our reviews of polychromos pencils. I'll do one - anybody else prepared to have a go?

Katherine

TFB
03-30-2005, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the wonderful help Katherine. I have been on Oxford Art Supplies and Artscene websites and noted that they only had Derwent and Faber Castell Polychromos pencils. I live in NSW about 4 hours from Sydney. Will try some of the other online stores. Do the leads break easily?....I am thinking from the postage point of view.
TFB

Katherine T
03-30-2005, 07:26 AM
No - one of the good things about polychromos is that they don't break easily. And you'll find that any reputable online mail order supplier makes sure they pack pencils properly as these days you've only got to have one '****-up' in packing and the whole worl hears about it!

It's the non-artist suppliers that tend to not realise the amount of care that's required.

Do give them a ring if you;re in any way concerned.

One of my regular suppliers provides all my packaing materials for sending stuff to other people - I never order it, it just comes with normal supplies! :D) The only problem is finding somehwere to store it all!

Katherine

Which bit of NSW? My sister used to live in north Sydney so we went north when taking a break on the coast - at Boomerang Beach! And we got there via a long detour through the Hunter and selective sampling!

Flame Lily
03-30-2005, 08:21 AM
Hi TFB :wave: Welcome to WetCanvas and the world of coloured pencils! You're sure to be having lots of fun really soon.

I'd like to second that Faber Castell Polychromos are wonderful pencils and you just can't go wrong with them. Prismacolors are good too, but with the range of Polychromos you will not be missing anything by not being able to buy Prisma's.

There are a few of reasons why Prisma's are so popular, many of the books written for coloured pencils include Prisma's colours mentioned in their demonstrations and some of the artists/authors will even go as far as saying that the Prisma's are their favourite pencils. Then the other thing I think is that Prisma's are more available in open stock in many art stores here than any other brands of coloured pencils. (Although online we can find most brands in open stock) Another thing is that so many people 'rave' about them because they are really great but it's possible they've never tried anything else because Prisma's are so good and lay down rich colours that blend so well etc., the thing is though that all artist grade pencils do that as well.

I started using Prismacolors but I will probably be buying less and less of them because of lightfastness issues, I've been buying a lot of Van Gogh's in open stock, just the colours I use the most and the ones that I know Prisma's have issues with and I use Polychromo's and Caran D'Ache Pablo's for the same reason. They're ALL great!

I also agree that you should try to get as many colours as you can afford, but if you can only get the set of 36 then that is fine, you'll manage and you'll be really creative in trying to get the exact colours you're wanting down on paper.

There are some people here that have used Derwents and said good things about them too. What might be a good idea is to get a set of Polychromo's then later on buy some Derwents in open stock, just a few to see if you like them and if they blend well with the Polychromo's then eventually you might like to use both simultaneously to be able to have a broarder range of colours.

Be sure to get some good quality paper as well, you can have the best pencils but if your paper has no tooth and isn't archival then you will not be happy with the results you get.

*****[I'm rating this thread to have current 'pencil' information for new people for the CP Library]

Flame Lily
03-30-2005, 08:38 AM
Thinking about this some more...

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from using Prisma's by the way. They are working on their lightfastness issues and most of their pencils are just fine. Also I've heard lots of people who have done completed paintings with Prisma's say they've been hanging for years and have never noticed them fade at all.

What I would hope is that everyone would be encouraged to try other brands as well. In my opinion it is ideal to have a full set of *something* and then extend your colour base by adding other brands as well. Hope that makes sense :)

Katherine T
03-30-2005, 08:38 AM
Hi - I've just rated Polychromos within the Product Review system - and here's the link to my review of Faber Castell Polychromos pencils (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Products/censura.php?tsid=1&csid=5c1ffb7fa470919b987651d50e80dd22&cmd=details&itemid=556)

And Liesl - stop being shy of using the product review system - you write all the stuff we want to hear in threads - please copy the polychromos comments and transfer them to the system! It'll then take you 10 seconds to rate the pencils! :D

And I've just discovered the fun to be gained from comparing products! Try it.

Katherine

PS I would also like to rate this thread - for the regional section on suppliers. Can we add in any more info for TFB on australian suppliers?

sheree
03-30-2005, 10:38 PM
:wave:

Hi TFB and welcome, I live in adelaide and get my prismacolor pencils from Art Streacher they sell sets and open stock that are $1.56 each I got all 120 colors loose and it worked out so much cheaper, Don't know if there is one in Sydney? Eckersleys sell them in sets and another shop called Premier Art [they now sell open stock] but you would have to check those too. I have also got pencils sent from America from Dick Blick with no trouble. Derwent pencils are not so waxy but do erase more easily and are still a great pencil and can be blended easily. I think Eckerleys sell them in open stock. for a cheaper price in sets check out Big W,Target or K-Mart

Good Luck :clap:

catchlight
03-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Here in NZ I've only been able to find Derwent and Polychromos in shops, but I'm perfectly happy with that. I don't like Derwent, although I haven't given them much of a chance, I just find them a bit to 'dry' for me. I love Polychromos and use them exclusively, I find them wonderful to blend, they have a great range of colours in the 120 available and they are wonderfully vibrant. I also find I can use them on a good range of different sorts of papers, my current favourite outside of arches hotpress being figueras oil and acrylic paper which is cheap but I love it.

Anyway, polychromos get my vote :) I've never gotten the chance to try prisma's to do a comparison but I don't think you miss anything using the poly's.

Katherine T
03-31-2005, 03:04 AM
I don't like Derwent, although I haven't given them much of a chance, I just find them a bit to 'dry' for me.

That's my reaction too - same goes for their "signature" range - they just don't have enough slippery stuff, they always make me feel like I'm scratching. However, I think I remember bearded bob saying that the artists range has got a great range of colours if you're doing dogs! But there again, I'm not sure whether he'd studied the polychromos colour range from that perspective.

Katherine

Glenspey
03-31-2005, 03:24 AM
Although I'm not a great fan of Derwent for the 'scratchy' issue, Bob is right, they have a great range of ochres and browns that are different from those in either the prisma or polychromos ranges. I add a little when needed.

Gayle

TFB
03-31-2005, 05:18 AM
Hi All,
Thanks for all this great information!
I shall look into Eckersleys on line to see if they have prismas and polychromos, there is one in Newcastle and i will have a look and feel etc. I live in the Upper Hunter Valley, about an hour from the vineyards.
I bought Derwents for my daughter a couple of years ago, but she prefered Crayola which I bought in Big W...I doubt whether they are lightfast though, but suitable for school. She found the colours brighter and probably softer. Must see if I can find her Derwents and have a go.
Scratchy doesn't appeal to me I like the slippery stuff with plenty of oomph. I like the sound of the Rembrandt ones too, I use their pastels, but have not tracked down their colour pencils in Australia.
I am thinking of using the CPs on Stonehenge paper, which I love using for graphite pencil drawing. Are they best on smooth paper?
Will be in touch,
TFB

Katherine T
03-31-2005, 05:23 AM
Not that I've got it but, judging by comments made by others on this site, Stonehenge will be just fine. But don't forget to try other surfaces as well - they all have their different merits.

TFB
03-31-2005, 06:01 AM
Hi Katherine T,
You must be an early bird! Will try others and browse this forum to see what other people are using.
TFB

Katherine T
03-31-2005, 06:08 AM
Not really - it's lunchtime here and I'm not at work this week.

BlackFox
03-31-2005, 11:43 PM
wow, being a newbie myself I find this really helpful.
I was wondering, if most the colored pencil brands are waterproof, then how do you do mixed media? I was wanting to mix cp with wc and acrylic, but I would think all the water would just slide off. Or does the paint stick, but not ruin the cp?

Katherine T
04-01-2005, 02:21 AM
:wave: Hi Blackfox - welcome to the CP Forum.

I'm not somebody who does very much mixed media and there certainly isn't a prescribed way to go with 'how it works' - you need to try it out for yourself.

Bottom line - most people aren't generally using wet watercolour or wet acrylic with CP - they let it dry first before going back to CP.

Some people put on watercolour washes of a colour that is near to what they want it to be at the end and then CP on top when it is dry. According to them that really helps to reduce the number of layers they need to put down to get close to the level of saturated colour they're trying to achieve - and for some people who hate the little white 'holes' you can get when using certain sorts of paper, it also means they get rid of them in one fell swoop!

Others will use a watercolour wash which is a complementary colour - so they get an optical mixing effect when they CP on top (and they may cover all the watercolour wash doing this - in effect the use of a watercolour was had produced a coloured paper to work on).

I'm not sure about watercolour on top of CP - has anybody tried that?

Other people use acrylic, frequently white, at the end to pick out highlights which can get lost while producing a work eg cat's whiskers. I think where acrylic is used as a smooth watercolour like wash underneath, the effect is also pretty much like watercolours.

Other media that people use with CP are ink, gouache and pastels (and, of course, if Degas were around today and was using CPs then I guess he'd been doing them on top of monoprints and lithographs as well - which is interesting given that Stonehenge is actually a printing paper not a watercolour paper!).

I don't think I've come across anybody mixing them with oils - has anybody else?

Hope this helps
Katherine

TFB
04-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Hi,
Just thought I would let you know that the cheapest place I can find polychromos in Australia is the artshop.com.au. They are $105 for 60 as opposed to $134 to $150 elsewhere. I am about to do a sepia drawing and tried to find some Faber Castell Pitt pencils, but they only come in sanguine :( So, I have ordered a few Bruyzeel in light, dark sepia and white. Parkers in Sydney (great art shop, but no website) tell me they are lovely. Has anyone else tried them?
TFB

brynmr
04-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Hi TFB! :) Welcome to this forum. :wave:

boobookat
05-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Hi,
So, I have ordered a few Bruyzeel in light, dark sepia and white. Parkers in Sydney (great art shop, but no website) tell me they are lovely. Has anyone else tried them
TFB

Hi TFB- This appears to be an older thread, but no one seems to have answered you about the Bruynzeel. I LOVE THEM. I don't know why, specifically, that I can explain, but I'll try. I use just about every brand out there, and they each have something to recommend them. But the
Bruynzeel, almost impossible to get in the U.S. (eBay, again, is a great place for aquiring art supplies of all sorts from everywhere in the world when your regular supplier doesn't carry it) seem to be the ones I gravitate toward.

Maybe its that the color range is .... well, if I describe it, it'll sound like a negative, and its not.... greyed. Aged. Matured. Dulled. Any harsh edge of a zingy color is off, and instead, its rich and velvety and deep. That's the way the color reads, to my eyes. That's not a description of the feel of the pencils. I'd say they are a bit drier than the oil based pencils, but not scratchy in any way, and certainly smooth. The colors put me in mind of going to a house paint store, and seeing all the color chips lined up, on display, according to manufacturer. One bank of colors is just a touch cheap, and the other bank of colors, different manufacturer, seem to be on a slightly different scale, and they just look richer and more elegant. That's what these colors look like, to me.

If you can score some, try a few. I've got the 50 set, but positively swear that I am going to track down that 100 set and make them mine!!!

Marci

RobinZ
05-03-2005, 01:23 PM
I've tried watercolor over prismacolor in my quest to fill in the tiny pinholes. My thought was that I would quick wash over the cp, the wax would repel the water and just allow the pinholes to absorb the paint. I was surprised that the wax did not appear to repel the w/c, at least not immediately. I wiped it off immediately, but there was still paint residue. No water, just the pigment seemed to cling to the surface of the cp, dulling it to a mat and changing the color.

I threw it out, so don't know if it would eventually flake off or not.

JayD
05-03-2005, 11:12 PM
BoobooKat--you are NOT going to believe where I found the Bruyzeel --at Hobby Lobby! At least the one here in High Point--which means that they have distributor source and can get them in stock for you if you ask for them. :)

boobookat
05-04-2005, 12:17 AM
JayD! Hello!

Where or what the heck is Hobby Lobby? Must be an east coast chain thing? Never heard of it. Sometimes, Dick Blick will carry them, but it only happens about once a year, and never yet the 100 set.

Does this Hobby Lobby have open stock? A website? Whee!

M

TFB
05-04-2005, 05:52 AM
I bought my bruyzeel pencils from Parkers in Sydney. They must have open stock as they posted 6 pencils to me. I have never seen them any where else. I have finished my sepia drawing (the main picture is pastel, the two horses above are bruyzeel pencil) and will attempt to post it. I have just bought 18 prismacolour pencils which I found in open stock at Oxford Supplies (formerly Janets). Hope to start using them soon.
TFB

boobookat
05-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi TFB-

I like this picture. After applying the Bruynzeel so skillfully- what'd you think of them? Hard to tell with just a couple, but you should be getting an idea if you want more or not. Funny enough, my first use of them was on a horse drawing.

Marci

Asher
05-04-2005, 11:27 PM
The reason why you might be having difficulties getting Bruynzeel Full Color Pencils is because the manufacturer has discontinued them. They are still making a line called Bruynzeel Design Colored Pencils but it is more of a student grade and only contains about 50 colors, whereas the Full Color line contained 100 beautifully rich colors. I know that Rochester Art Supply, in upstate New York, still has a few of the 25 and 50 color sets available and they seem to have a good supply of open stock. They are online at: http://www.rochesterartsupply.com (http://).

Sanford

TFB
05-06-2005, 04:11 AM
I really liked the bruyzneel pencils, but they are more expensive than the polychromos or prismacolours at $3.60 each here in Australia. I will find out if they have any other colours here.
TFB

ab39z
06-06-2005, 09:27 PM
BoobooKat--you are NOT going to believe where I found the Bruyzeel --at Hobby Lobby! At least the one here in High Point--which means that they have distributor source and can get them in stock for you if you ask for them. :)

I was about to make the same comment, JayD... Then I was stunned to see you mention that you're also in High Point. It's weird to see someone from High Point here. Anyway, I've been eyeing those Bruynzeels at Hobby Lobby. I wasn't sure how good they were. Now, I'm a more intrigued. But it's great to find another High Pointer, er Highpocketeer, whatever -- here on WC!

yellowochre
06-07-2005, 03:36 AM
Hi TFB,
If you still want to try the prismacolours you can order them from www.uniqueimpressions.com.au I think you can order online but I just rang them and ordered them. They were less than half the price they are in the Newcastle Eckersleys.

Lauren

TFB
06-07-2005, 04:45 AM
Hi Lauren,
Thanks for that....the prismacolours are very cheap on this site. I have added it to my favourites. At the moment I am making do with about 12 prismacolours. Actually, i will list the colours...as I went for colours similar to my oil painting pallette only a bit more, which in hindsight probably isn't suitable for CPs.
white
lemon yellow
yellow ochre
burnt ochre
neon pink
crimson red
terra cotta
light umber
dark brown
lime peel
marine green
grass green
blue marine
indigo blue
black
Feel I need more light colours as mixing white doesn't seem to do the trick. I also bought a blender, which I find hard to use. Any advice please?
I am going to England for a month...hope to be able to buy more CPs later in the year.
TFB

Flame Lily
06-07-2005, 10:56 AM
TFB, the colorless blender?

You have to have a lot of pigment down before using the blender, it works best the more layers or pencil you have down. Also works great when it has a blunt point. Less streaky that way.

Those colors are nice, but just the tip of the ice-berg :D

BKWYRM
06-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Lovely picture of the horse! If you tend to work with animals, here are some other Prisma's you might find useful: Canary yellow, dark umber, black cherry, black grape, and tuscan red.

TFB
06-09-2005, 03:45 AM
Hi,
Thanks for all the help! Will post my 1st and 3rd attempt. Have used lots of layers, so, will give the blender another try. My 2nd attempt was on rough paper and a learning experience...started off with watercolour, then CP blended with turps. Think I prefer smother paper for the CPs at this stage.
I really liked the bruyzneel pencils...they were very different to the prismas. Have yet to try polychromos, will buy a few for a trial before splashing out on a box.
TFB
ps. My CPs are very small 16 x13 cms, but seemed to take forever!

Katherine T
06-09-2005, 04:14 AM
What a unique vision! These are super - I'm looking around for my ruler to see what size these are (I'm still an "imperial girl" and can't do the metric/imperial conversion easily) but have a feeling they're tiny!

TFB
06-09-2005, 04:44 AM
Hi Katherine,
I am an ex imperial girl and the measurements are 6 and a half x 5 and a half inches.....so, yes, very tiny! Since they take so long (maybe I will become quicker) how does one go about pricing them!? I would be interested to know. I have fairly set prices for oils and pastels.
TFB

gordoiye
06-09-2005, 07:28 AM
these are really cool - they have a pastel quality to them (or did i mention that already?)... right on!

cheers,
gord

wet
06-09-2005, 09:11 AM
I love you horse race! I have found pricing them per square inch plus the framing keeps it simple. One, two, or three dollars and inch. If we charged by the hour they would cost thousands! :D :wave: wanda

catchlight
06-11-2005, 04:09 AM
I love the horses, you've packed a lot of detail into a small package!

FaeLynn
06-13-2005, 07:38 AM
Hello Gang, :wave:
Anyone looking for colored pencils should try ebay! I got 120 prisma set for around 50.00.. which is less than 50% of what stores or catalogs charge.
They sometimes have DerWent and other brands too, you just have to watch the site.
Check it out!
;) -Fae Lynn

Khadres
07-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Hi, I'm new here...and I've read the reviews and this thread and everything else I can find, but I'm still wondering...

If Pablos and Polychromos are oil based, what are Prismas? Wax? And can Prismas work well with the others or not? Just wondering what the best approach is for the different brands... Also...how about solvents? Does turps or alcohol work the same on all types?

Thanks!

BKWYRM
07-09-2005, 09:17 AM
I've been using Prismacolors almost exclusively for the last 3 years. I just started mixing them with Polychromos, and they get along quite well together. Prismacolors are wax-based, and are softer than the Polychromos. Everyone here on the forum who uses different brands says that they use them together in the same pieces. I haven't heard any reports of problems. They do have different degrees of hardness; the softer, waxier ones like Prismacolors are easier to layer over the harder ones.

I use Zest-it solvent which I buy from England, but Dick Blick has a non-toxic solvent which Weezy has used which is apparently quite similar.

Here's the Zest it (http://www.zest-it.com/zest-it.htm) link.

You can use other solvents, such as odorless mineral spirits, rubbing alcohol, even baby wipes, but they can be toxic and fill your studio with nasty fumes.

Howard Metzenberg
07-12-2005, 07:36 AM
Bruynzeel colored pencils ...

Bruynzeel colored pencils and pastel pencils were discontinued about a year and a half ago, at least to my knowledge. (If they are being made and distributed again only in Holland or in Europe, I might not have heard about it.) To the extent that you still are finding them on the market, you are finding old stock and closeouts. This can often go on for years. The manufacturer may still be closing out some old stock. They may have kept some open stock supplies around for a few years, and then finally decided to liquidate them, building them into sets. It does tell you who turns their stock fast, doesn't it? Dick Blick has been out of stock on these for over a year.

If Pablos and Polychromos are oil based, what are Prismas? Wax?

Oil pencils and wax pencils are basically the same thing. Oil is a mixture of hydrocarbons, long molecular chains of carbon atoms with hydrogen bonded to them. Short hydrocarbon chains boil at temperatures below freezing, so we know them as natural gas. Medium length chains are liquids near room temperature, and we use them as liquid fuels. Longer chains are still liquid at room temperature, but more stable at higher temperatures, so we use them for lubrication. The longest hydrocarbon chains are solid at room temperature. They are waxes.

From these basic hydrocarbon building blocks, a huge range of organic chemical compounds with different properties and chemical characteristics can be synthesized, or or often produced naturally by living organisms. The basic building blocks can be bonded together in different configurations too. Some living organisms happen to produce a hydrocarbon mixture that is just right for use in art supplies. For example, flax produces a slow drying oil mixture in which many pigments are soluble and also stable. It's called linseed oil, and it gives us oil paint.

It's hard to know exactly why one brand (Derwent) is stiffer while another (Pablo) is creamier while yet another (Prismacolor) is in between, because the manufacturers are not about to share their secret ingredients, although you can be sure that a good organic chemist could make an educated guess. All of the non-watersoluble colored pencils are really wax based, but some of them use particular wax mixtures that have lower melting points and turn creamy and supple more easily with a little hand pressure at room temperature.

The difference between Derwent and Pablo and everything in between is analogous to the difference between a 9H graphite pencil and a 9B graphite pencil. There are uses for each kind of pencil. Some people have a preference for one in their technique, and some have a preference for the other. I am sure there are even people who use both, creating stiff lines with one, and smoother flat areas with the other.

I have put in a special request to get more colored pencils in open stock, but we are going through a warehouse improvement project at the moment, so it may be a while before we can offer them.

Howard Metzenberg
Dick Blick Art Materials
Highland Park, IL

pinkrybns
07-12-2005, 07:45 AM
Bruynzeel colored pencils and pastel pencils were discontinued about a year and a half ago, at least to my knowledge. (If they are being made and distributed again only in Holland or in Europe, I might not have heard about it.) Hi Howard.
The Bruynzeel design Full-Colors are gone... not even seen in Holland unless it's left-over stock.

But Bruynzeel is still producing a line simply called Bruynzeel Designs. The Designs are one notch below the Full-Colors and they are readily available here in Holland. But those Full-Colors are indeed no more. :(

~Judy

Howard Metzenberg
07-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Judy,

Thanks for that tip. Let me ask those who have seen them here in the United States. Were the Bruynzeel pencils you saw really the Full-Color line?

Howard

wet
07-12-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi Howard! I was in Omaha last week and stopped in at the new store. I was really impressed. I wish one would open in the Kansas City area. :wave: wanda

pinkrybns
07-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Judy,

Thanks for that tip. Let me ask those who have seen them here in the United States. Were the Bruynzeel pencils you saw really the Full-Color line?

HowardMaybe this visual will help?

The pencil on top is the, readily available in Holland, - Bruynzeel Design

The pencil on the bottom is the discontinued (everywhere) - Bruynzeel design Full-Color.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2005/22382-Bruynzeels.jpg

Hope that helps with the mystery.

:)
Judy

JayD
07-13-2005, 09:06 AM
You guys are not going to believe this but Hobby Lobby is still carrying them.

pinkrybns
07-13-2005, 09:09 AM
You guys are not going to believe this but Hobby Lobby is still carrying them.
Well, buy them before they're all gone then ... but my pragmatic advice is, don't fall in love with them (the Fullcolors) because they won't be coming back. 'tis true.

hiya JD! :wave:

Judy

JayD
07-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Hiya Pink!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

puntdaddy
01-16-2006, 09:19 PM
what is the difference between regular prismacolors and French Laurentien Prismacolors or is their a difference
thank you
Jerry

*Deirdre*
01-24-2006, 06:56 AM
I've just bought a set of 120 Prismacolor for $55 and they included a set of 12 Verithon and a set of their Sketch kit of 12 pencils....shipped to England in 8 days, total price $78 = 48.12.. .Ebay! All I have to do now is learn to use them!:D

Ronnie26
09-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Hi I just bought some Verithik by Berol. My local frameing shop where I get most of my art gear are having are selling the arty stuff off and are just going to keep to the frameing so everything is half price, they don't have a lot left but I did manage to get the verithiks.
Trouble is I know I have heard of them but I'm not sure what to use them on or much about them altogether. I wonder if anyone can help?

boobookat
09-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Mmm... do yo mean "Verithin"? They are thin, hard leads in 48 colors that have exact matches in the Premier Prismacolor (Berol) line. Used for getting fine lines and details that can't be achieved with the regular soft thick lead. They aren't used so much for the main drawing work. Too hard and fine.

Possibly, you're using a name of something I've never heard of, though. So ignore me if I've misunderstood.

Judy- since this popped back to the top, I wanted to tell you that I wrote to Sakura or whoever bought Bruynzeel. I got back a very detailed message that the Fullcolor line is being revamped, stronger wood box, and is going to be reintroduced in better lightfastness. They promised to send me samples.
I can't imagine the Fullcolor Bruynzeel's being fiddled with and coming up improved, but hey, I'll take 'em if they are!

Marci

pinkrybns
09-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Judy- since this popped back to the top, I wanted to tell you that I wrote to Sakura or whoever bought Bruynzeel. I got back a very detailed message that the Fullcolor line is being revamped, stronger wood box, and is going to be reintroduced in better lightfastness. They promised to send me samples.
I can't imagine the Fullcolor Bruynzeel's being fiddled with and coming up improved, but hey, I'll take 'em if they are!

Marci Wow, well I sure hope so Marci, that would be great. Now I just look at the box I bought, what a couple of years ago now, I won't touch those precious Fullcolors... lol ... I loved those pencils.
I'll be on the look out here for the revamps. Bruynzeels lesser pencils are found everywhere in Holland, so if I see the re-vamped full colors, you know for sure I'll be buying some... addict that I am.

boobookat
09-21-2006, 06:40 PM
When I wrote to them, I made it very clear that the pencils they kept in production were horrid, and the ones they cancelled were the gems, and what were they thinking? LOL! I haven't seen the samples in my mail yet, but I'll let you know if I get them and try them. I hope you'll let me know, if you end up finding them first, how they look. Those are my very favorite pencils of all, bar none hands down cross my heart. I sharpen the remainders that I have VERY carefully and gently! HAHAHA!

(I have at least three of each color squirrelled away, so its safe to use them, a little)

Marci

*Deirdre*
09-21-2006, 07:12 PM
OK guys...my bad spelling is to blame...it was, of course, Verithin....because they are very thin!:D Oh Well...at least I know now what they are for!:thumbsup:

boobookat
09-21-2006, 07:34 PM
LOL! Deirdre, I hope you find a use for them. Get 'em out and try them. I had them for ages before I got serious about applying them. They are darn handy.

Marci

*Deirdre*
09-21-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm so mad about a product being called called very thin...I can't use those:eek: :eek: ...I'm hoping they also produce a very fat, chocolate coloured one that I'm comfortable using!:evil: :p :D :wink2:

artistwantobe
10-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Can anyone tell me what I'm missing about using Staedtler Karat colored pencils (German)? I know this is "reply" but I can't figure out how to just post a question so please forgive me if I've done this incorrectly. But now that I'm here I may as well keep going. I've read all the comments about which pencils are considered best and I haven't seen these mentioned anywhere. I have Prismacolor and some Dewent. I like the Staedtler best and am wondering why no one else seems to even rate them. Thanks for your time.

Lucy_chan
11-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Staedtler is ecomonical and good, but the color range is quite limited compare to the other brands. I think that maybe the reson of nearly no body rate them. However, It's a recommended brand to the CP starters.

nindespin
11-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Hi, I'm relatively new to cp too, and I just bought a 120 prismacolor tin set on eBay for less than half the price than what it costs in a local store; and that was with shipping included! :) I'm pretty satisfied with them, but I haven't tried any other brand yet. Cheers! Melissa

ArtyLady
11-01-2006, 02:16 PM
That's how I got my prismas on ebay, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford them. I had so much trouble with them until I got my electric sharpener, now it's divine.

I would however like to buy some polys (I only have a set of 12 polys) on ebay, but I don't think these are as common on ebay as primas.

kellimaier
06-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Wow...noone uses koh-i-noor?
I am in love with the Progresso woodless they make. They are especially great when used WITh Prismacolors.
My only complaint is they are so rich that you need an even lighter hand than with other brands..and that they have a very limited color range.
But oh how they blend, and so rich and lush...and no waxy build up, or crayola look if you do lay on the color heavier, and ...faster.
Yup...these pencils cut a huge amount of time from color pencil work, and I make up for the fact that there are only 24 colors by using them as a smooth base for prismacolors.
I have not been able to figure out if they are wax or oil based, and more or less came here looking for that info.