PDA

View Full Version : He gave her away today

Doodlebug1967
06-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Hi everyone. Finish one and straight on to another. But I'm stuck with this one. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp! I'm not sure where to go from here because once again, my values are too close together....with the exception of the dress, which I am pleased with. It's the rest where I'm having trouble. Any suggestions before I go any further?

Ronda

Here's the reference image and my rendition of it. The reference image wont' come up with the bottom for some reason. It's fine in photoshop, but you get the idea:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2007/69546-DSCF4536ref.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2007/69546-DSCF6193wc.jpg

Did you guess it was me and my daddy? His first dance with his married daughter. He joked all day that he wasn't going to give me away, but auction me off and see if he could make a few bucks! :lol:

Bringer
06-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Hi,

What about doing the painting without the dress ?:D

Kind regards,

Josť

Doodlebug1967
06-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Josť - I'm not quite sure what you mean. Care to 'splain it to me...I'm rather scared to ask.

Ronda

Bringer
06-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi again,

Since I didn't read your text with attention, found your figures well started, I thought that the dress should be the hardest thing to portray. Would be for me, that's for sure.
And that's why I did that funny remark.

Kind regards,

Josť

Doodlebug1967
06-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Josť - Ohhhhh, ok. I see now. I guess I'm around my twisted friends too much and thought you meant something else....HAHAHA. :lol:

Ronda

DAK723
06-09-2007, 04:45 PM
One reason you might be stuck is that you have chosen a very difficult reference photo. Both figures are primarily backlit - So they are about 80% in shadow. The fleshtones are mostly dark - in shadow - not light as you have depicted.

Does that mean you need to change things? No, not unless you really want to follow the reference. But it also might explain why you are stuck, because the reference's values are quite different than yours.

You can continue with lighter values on the figures then in the photo. But look carefully - her back (well, your back!) is not all one value. It is darker from the right shoulder blade to the spine, for example and there is a lighter area on the left shoulderblade. Look for those subtle variations.

All in all, the proportions and composition are good, and yes, the dress is nicely done, too.

Don

Artistammy
06-09-2007, 06:35 PM
If you put them both in greyscale you can see the values better.
Tammy

M Douglas
06-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Lovely job on the dress/figures! I would add some darks to the flesh, look at that lovely bit of dark on your back, add some lights to the hair. As to the background why not take the window and wall right out. I don't really feel there is a need for it as the focus is you and your dad.

Melodie

Doodlebug1967
06-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Don & Melodie - I had intentionally not finished the skin tones, hair or face until I decided what to do with the background. I guess I didn't convey that very well. I didn't want to overwork the skin, which is easy for me to do if I'm not careful. This just happened to be where I stopped to reflect before I messed it up too bad and wanted to ask some opinions before I decided where to take it from here.

Melodie - I may just do as you suggested and take the window out all together. I'll sleep on that one.

Tammy - I see what you are talking about with the greyscale in photoshop. This helps a little, but still know too little as to where to take those colors and values to make it right.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions and help. We'll see how this pans out in the next few days.

Ronda