PDA

View Full Version : who's Frank Clarke? simplypainting?

Osteomark
06-09-2007, 10:25 AM
I ran across this Irish watercolor painter. Very entertaining and practicle. His name is Frank Clarke. I would like to try his goat hair brushes 1.5" and 3/4".
I've look all over Dick Blick, Cheap Joes etc..... and can't find them. I really don't want to order from Europe if I can help it. Don't like my credit card numbers floating all over the world if I can help it.

Thanks
Mark

Catwoman2
06-09-2007, 11:01 AM
You might want to check eBay for Frank Clarke's painting kits. They include the brushes, and even though you may end up with a few things you don't want, it's usually still cheaper to buy a whole kit than it is to order the brushes separately at retail prices.

When I bought my sets, the adult watercolor starter kit came with a rigger and the 1.5" brush. The kids' watercolor kit came with a 3/4" brush and a rigger. I just checked eBay and it looks like the adult one now comes with a 3/4" brush. The seller's name is smartpickins, and although I don't know him personally, I bought my children's Frank Clarke kit from him and was pleased with the service.

You might want to shop around a bit more, or wait until others post here with more info before you buy the whole kit, though, because maybe someone knows of a reasonably priced source for just the brushes.

Susan

aszurblue
06-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Hi Mark, I found goat hair brushes with the Chinese watercolor brushes. I believe it was with ASW. But that was before they got crazy with shipping charges. www.aswexpress.com I haven't ordered any thing in awhile, so don't know about now..... Azure

lpb
06-09-2007, 02:45 PM
This is really weird, but Joanns (the fabric/craft store) near me had them for awhile, when they first opened their superstore. They had the kits and also the individual brushes. Then after 6 months or so they discontinued all their fine art supplies. I don't know if that was a local decision or a corporate decsion, but you could try them if there is one near you, or try online.

Yorky
06-10-2007, 05:24 AM
Frank is the Irish "Bob Ross" of watercolours. He is looked down upon by "professionals" but help get lots of people started in watercolours with his simple approach.

Doug

D.J.
06-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Frank is the Irish "Bob Ross" of watercolours. He is looked down upon by "professionals" but help get lots of people started in watercolours with his simple approach.

Doug

That's interesting........why is that?

juneto
06-10-2007, 03:15 PM
I imagine people think he is too Formula driven ,like Ross .
No teaching how to think out .
Just a guess .
June:) :) :)

Catwoman2
06-10-2007, 04:13 PM
That's interesting........why is that?

I would guess that, perhaps, he isn't considered "artsy" enough. He comes across as the nice man from down the street who has offered to teach you how to paint in the simplest, quickest way possible. I have two of his books, as well as some of his videos and DVDs, and find him to be both motivational and calming, if it's possible to be both at the same time. Watching his videos is like having an old friend stop in for a visit -- if you don't walk away from a Frank Clarke video believing that you can paint, I would be quite surprised. He makes it all seem so simple and do-able.

He encourages his readers and viewers to have fun while they paint, and to use Cotman student grade paints because they are inexpensive and will encourage budding artists not to be skimpy with their paint. He also advises using only two or three relatively inexpensive brushes, and not to fiddle too much with our work. (He often says that you only get two minutes to complete a sky; after that, you have to stop.)

If you've been painting for a while, Frank Clarke's books and videos probably aren't for you, but I would definitely recommend them to anyone who wants to paint but is afraid to try. You won't learn much about color theory or values, and you'll only touch on perspective and drawing, but if you follow along with one of his videos, you will work on a painting step-by-step, from start to finish, and have a completed painting as a result, which may be the most important and encouraging thing a beginner needs.

Susan

Yorky
06-10-2007, 05:13 PM
I agree Susan, his methods help get people painting, and that's good.

Same thing applies to Bob Ross in my book.

Doug

Laura D
06-13-2007, 02:13 AM
I think he's a hoot! He has a couple of demonstrations online - I think one is at YouTube. I think the best thing I've heard him say is to scare yourself! That was in regard to how much paint you should have on the paper then you are painting wet-in-wet.

EwetopiaNZ
06-23-2007, 02:05 AM
Hi all,
As a "newbie" to all things artistic, I thought I would add my two cents here re: Frank Clarke. It was through catching one or two of his shows on TV that made me wonder if I could give painting a go! He does make it seem simple and far from intimidating. I have tried a few of his paintings and have been pleasantly surprised to find that I can paint! Hardly world class but a good starting point for someone who has never painted anything other than the garage wall :rolleyes:
After a few tries at painting, with some very cheap and nasty brushes, I splashed out and purchased his brush set; a 1.5" goat hair , a .75" (Franks favourite "Baby Goat hair") and the #3 Rigger. They were not the cheapest brushes around, particularly with our currency exchange rate, but they were worth the expense to me...maybe not worth it to others?
His site at www.simplypainting.com has some useful info and demo's too.

Hope this is of some help.
Kind Regards.
Terry
(In very chilly South Island, New Zealand)