PDA

View Full Version : Any Pastel Groups in Vancouver, BC Lower Mainland

mrking
06-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Hi,

I am new to pastels and I really would like to get into a pastel course but there is nothing I can find locally.

So, I am just wondering if there are any groups of pastel artists that meet in the Lower Mainland at all? If so, I'd love to come by and either be a fly on the wall or participate.

artist_pw
06-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Hi:

I'm not sure, but I went to the IAPS site and checked their member societies, and it looks like the closest member society might be this one:

Pastel Artists Canada
President: Rosemary Simpson
View Society Showcase
P.O. Box 351
Flesherton, Ontario, Canada
N0C 1E0
IAPS Contact: June Gauthier
http://www.pastelartists.com

I just thought I'd mention it until someone who really might know more might give you a better answer. Hope this helps and you're able to find one!

KJSCL
06-12-2007, 12:54 AM
While not pastel specific, you can try the Federation of Canadian Artists at www.artists.ca They have several chapters in BC but I'm not sure if any are close to you.

As far as I know, there is only the one pastel society in Canada, Pastel Artists Canada as Paula mentioned. They do on occasion hold workshops for members but do not have local chapters.

Since you're in the BC lower mainland, my best advice would be try to get into one of Dianna Ponting's workshops. You can look at her schedule on her website www.ponting.com If you want to learn pastels you may as well learn from the master!!! Check out her threads under her WC id of ponting.

mrking
06-12-2007, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the info. I see from her site she has a workshop in Nanaimo in October.

Hmm, it would be nice to get away for a couple of days... :D

flyfisherflyfisher1
06-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Hey Mrking, Just a thought..What are you trying to accomplish with a class?
I think that when I take a class I'm looking for Practice, Instruction/C&C and help. All of which you can get here for free! Everyone here is so helpful and great that all you really have to do is draw a circle and call it a grapefruit WIP :lol: ...and the people will come from Australia, Japan or the USA (and beyond) to help and we love to do it!!!And we'll check your progress and be your friend...Obviously I love this place..:clap: :clap:
Pete

mrking
06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
I am looking for instruction on technique more than anything. How to blend, how to layer, what colours to start with, the list goes on.

Reading about it and seeing someone else do it are entirely different things for me.

flyfisherflyfisher1
06-15-2007, 01:44 PM
:o :o Well Ok....But I still love it here:)
Pete