PDA

View Full Version : New here, tech. questions

Swaggertoes
06-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Hey ya'll, I'm new to this forum, I'm usually over in Acrylic or FAntasy...but I just set myself up with some digi stuff.

I have a question about Painter 9 that I can't find in any manuals that I see.

Impasto brushes...which I love...leave behind a texture, and the blending brushes ONLY blend color and not the texture...this is supremely annoying. Is there a way to blend that texture like it would in real life. (palette knives, clean brush...that will all change oil texture) So far, this is a pretty major annoyance for me. I prefer the way artrage works on this account. Any suggestions?

LadyAlba
06-08-2007, 03:05 PM
You can control the amount of impasto used by opening your brush creator and click on the impasto settings and reduce it till it is like you want also if you just want to take out part use the deapth equalizer in the Impasto brush catagory. Hope this helps.

Jin
06-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Hey ya'll, I'm new to this forum, I'm usually over in Acrylic or FAntasy...but I just set myself up with some digi stuff.

I have a question about Painter 9 that I can't find in any manuals that I see.

Impasto brushes...which I love...leave behind a texture, and the blending brushes ONLY blend color and not the texture...this is supremely annoying. Is there a way to blend that texture like it would in real life. (palette knives, clean brush...that will all change oil texture) So far, this is a pretty major annoyance for me. I prefer the way artrage works on this account. Any suggestions?

Hi Swaggertoes,

You're right about the Blenders' variants only blending color as that's what they're intended to do.

If you want to alter Impasto depth, or both depth and color (for brush variants from any brush category that use Impasto depth and lighting), there are a few variants in the Impasto category to use, depending on the effect you want:

Depth Color Eraser (erases both Impasto depth and color)
Depth Equalizer (flattens, or erases, Impasto depth and does not affect color)
Depth Eraser (uses negative depth and digs a "trench" as you paint back and forth to "erase" Impasto depth)
Depth Lofter (raises the area where you paint)
Depth Rake (uses negative depth and paints thin "rake lines")
Depth Smear (smears both color and depth leaving the area smoother with adjacent colors somewhat blended)
Distorto Impasto (paints a line with surrounding color dragged along the sides of the line into other colors or onto the white Canvas)

The best way to see how these Impasto variants work is to open a new white Canvas, paint some Impasto brush strokes using something like the Thick Round Impasto 30, then test each of them to see how they affect the existing Thick Round Impasto 30 brush strokes' Impasto depth or color, or both.

justjean
06-08-2007, 09:31 PM
thanks for the input Jin, and I think this should go in the Library :)

LadyAlba
06-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Thank you Jin!!!
I was waiting for you to give one of your excellent explanations! All I could think of was what I use. :lol:

Jin
06-08-2007, 11:54 PM
You're welcome.

:D

You might as well put the whole Corel Painter User Guide in the Library (except you couldn't due to licensing agreements/copyright infringement).

It's all there for the looking, accessible from within Corel Painter or by testing brush variants and other features to find out how they work:

Painter 7 > Help Topics
Painter 8 > Help Topics
Painter IX > Help Topics
Painter X > Help Topics

Granted, it takes time to learn what's available in Painter and how it works but most of it's possible to figure out with some effort applied.

I've added this tidbit to the New Tips and Tutorials by Jinny section on my PixelAlley website. Check there now and then because I add new things frequently.

Smokin
06-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey Bambi! Like jin said. You can also look for blender brushes within artist oils that will do what you are hoping.

jhercilia
06-09-2007, 08:50 PM
The Clumpy Brush blends the impasto if you don't lift the pen after you apply paint. This brush works better as you apply paint over paint (build up).

Swaggertoes
06-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Whoot, I figgured it out....thanks for all the help guys. lol. NOw if only I could finish something instead of making page after page of doodles.

I just found the brush stroke modifier last night...holy god....

Jin
06-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey Bambi! Like jin said. You can also look for blender brushes within artist oils that will do what you are hoping.

Hi Smokin,

Thanks for adding that important bit of info. I'd forgotten about the Artists' Oils and all they can do on their own.

The Clumpy Brush blends the impasto if you don't lift the pen after you apply paint. This brush works better as you apply paint over paint (build up).

Hi Janet,

You're right, the Artists' Oils Clumpy Brush variant does blend Impasto but in its default state, it only blends color.

If we go to the Brush Controls' Impasto palette and change the Draw to: option from Color to Color and Depth, the Clumpy Brush variant can be used to blend both color and Impasto depth.

jhercilia
06-12-2007, 03:33 AM
Hi Janet,

You're right, the Artists' Oils Clumpy Brush variant does blend Impasto but in its default state, it only blends color.

If we go to the Brush Controls' Impasto palette and change the Draw to: option from Color to Color and Depth, the Clumpy Brush variant can be used to blend both color and Impasto depth.
Thanks for clarifying. That's the way I have it set up.

LadyAlba
06-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the reminder I had completely forgotten about the Artists Oils. LOL:lol:

Smokin
06-12-2007, 09:07 PM
LOL Lady, OMG I just recnetly went browsing through the brushes again instead of just pulling from my pallets. There are STILL a ton of brushes Im yet to discover :P.