PDA

View Full Version : Can you offer me any advise?

Tracy Lewis
06-07-2007, 05:52 PM
I usually use my pastel's on the paper below. I would like to try something a bit bigger, and with more tooth. The idea of sand paper appeals to me. Where can I get it from? Is it just bog standard d.i.y stuff?
What do you all use to create on? I would love to know.:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2007/101106-PAPER_SCAN_2.jpg

Bringer
06-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi Tracy,

Try Jacksonart or Gerstaecker.co.uk

Kind regards,

Josť

Donna A
06-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi, Tracy! You can order my very favorite sanded paper in UK---Art Spectrum Colourfix papers. There are now 20 colors of paper, as well as boards, in several sizes, including 20"x28" (the original size) and 40"x28". You can also order the Colourfix Primer which you can paint on to a painting surface (or apply with a sponge roller, etc.) It creates the same surface on your size and choice of surfaces including hard boards and wooden panels. Very best wishes! Donna ;-}

fiatlux
06-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi Tracy,

The very best way to get a survey of the field of paper and pastels and everything else associated with pastel is to look at this website:

www.dakotapastels.com/index.shtml

It is an art store, actually two, that only has a comprehensive selection of pastel related things. You can order by internet. They have some sample packs of paper, for example, which would allow you to learn about all the different papers used by pastel artists. (The one you are using is NOT included. You'll see why.)

If you can get a catalog from them, it will be a constant reference source for you. Their prices are reasonable, but most of their stuff can be obtained elsewhere.

Once you get the whole picture, you will find different threads here about what people use the most. Art Spectrum and Wallis paper from my reading are the most popular. But there is also a cadre of pastelists who like velour paper, particularly in the animal portrait group. All of these are in the sample pack.

I should worn you that the papers are more expensive than pads you get that say they are for pastel. So if price is an obstacle look at the catalog from Dakota to see the pumice preparations and so forth for making your own "sandpaper." Many people do that.

Good Luck
Richard