PDA

View Full Version : Website host vs Do It Yourself

flyfisherflyfisher1
06-06-2007, 12:13 PM
I was wondering if anyone had a webhost that they were particularly fond of or very cheap...Or any thoughts on doing it yourself and if so, what software they used.
Pete

Bringer
06-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi Pete,

Well, you must always have a host for your domain name. I use NTT Verio.
And I use Sitekreator for my site.
Some companies offer both services and some don't.
If you can build your own site i.e. programming it yourself, then I guess that you only need to register its domain and find a storage solution.
If like me, you don't know about website editing (HTML or something like it) then you'll have to look for a site that storages it and has a program/templates that permits you to build one.
Try posting your question at the business forum.

Best regards,

Josť

KJSCL
06-06-2007, 03:33 PM
I created my own site using Frontpage. With Frontpage, you don't need to know HTML, it does pretty much everything for you. There are other programs out there that have more functionality than Frontpage does but they are also more complex to use. I like the fact that I can update it with new paintings at my convenience. My site is hosted by my internet service provider at a fairly reasonable rate.

As Jose indicated, there are sites such as Sitekreator that will create and host your site for you if you aren't comfortable creating your own. Good luck with your site, whichever way you choose to go.

Shari
06-06-2007, 08:38 PM
I have been researching this for about a year now, and most everyone I have talked to agreed, hands down, that Artspan is the best for selling art. I have "interviewed" so many people that do very well on Artspan and it comes up first when people google or search for art. I am working on my website with them now - it is easy, I just have to get my work photographed and get it on there. Very reasonable too. I found artists whose work I liked on Artspan and then I emailed them with my questions and they are all very happy with it.

Kathryn Wilson
06-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Glad you started this thread Pete - I am also in the search for the best place for me.

I wish I could feel more confident about Frontpage as I have the program - but my husband always did all that and never had a chance to teach me. So it goes.

I think I will be going with Artspan - and maybe try to learn Frontpage to create my own in the future. I am already paying for web space for other web pages (business), so it would be good to learn how to update everything.

CM Neidhofer
06-06-2007, 11:37 PM
I used Bravenet hosting for quite some time and was very happy with it. I think the initial fee was $26, which included first month hosting fee and my domain name. Domain name fee was for a year. The hosting fee was $8.95 a month. Very reasonable, I think.

Christine

flyfisherflyfisher1
06-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Wow! all good information. great! I will have to research these!
Thanks,
Pete

Pat Isaac
06-08-2007, 06:05 PM
I did my own site. I have a Mac and have a .Mac account so used their software called iWeb. Very easy, but you need a Mac.

Pat

maggie latham
06-08-2007, 09:55 PM
:wave:

Hello Pat,

What is a .Mac account? I have a Mac, but don't know what that is.....

Maggie

:cat:

Pat Isaac
06-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Hi Maggie,

If you go to the Apple site there is a tab anmed .Mac. Click on that and it will tell you about .Mac. It costs $100 a year and gives you lots of features to work with.

Pat

maggie latham
06-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks Pat, I will check it out.

Maggie

maggie latham
06-09-2007, 09:07 PM
:wave:

Hello,

Has anyone used web.com? An artist friend of mine told me about it, and likes it because it has a shopping cart with paypal options. Does any one have any experience with it?

Maggie

Dot Hoffman
06-10-2007, 12:47 PM
I just checked out Artspan.com for comparison to Yahoo.com for web hosting and find that Artspan is probably a little bit easier to use for the artist who is not real comfortable with computer programs, but that you get more freedom of design with Yahoo and the prices at Yahoo are lower. All the Artspan websites I looked at have a similar look to them, although some elements such as colors differ from site to site. Personally, I like to look a little different from everyone else, but that's my own preference.

I did not check availability of live technical support on Artspan, but for me that is a major piece. At Yahoo, tech support is there 24/7. Maybe someone else can enlighten us on Artspan's support.

I can't address the issue of "hits" because so much of that depends on your keywords. Besides, websites don't "sell" your art, they serve as a portfolio on line, and you still have to do the marketing.

Kat, I have FrontPage, and even took classes in it, and gave it up. It's just too complex for me. That's why I like Yahoo's program (Sitebuilder, free from yahoo). It's easy to use. I pay $12.70 a month, plus I think it's $9 a year for a second URL that ties into my main URL. Everything is handled through Yahoo.

Having said that, I like Yahoo and will stay with them, although I see some advantages to Artspan as well, especially the forums. But then, how much time can I afford to spend in forums? I think I'll stick with WC on that one too! :lol:

Maggie, web.com uses the same software -- Sitebuilder -- as Yahoo.

Netty
06-10-2007, 08:12 PM
I have been with artspan for about 6 months, and very happy with them,.... it is easy to use and generates alot of traffic!

Annie:)

Bringer
06-16-2007, 01:31 AM
Hi again,

One of our coleagues at the Comp/Tech forum mentioned this one :
http://www.webpage-maker.com
It seems to be neat only by reading the homepage.

Kind regards,

Josť

Goewyn
06-16-2007, 01:38 PM
For hosting only, I use aplus.net. They cost about $5.95/mo for the cheapest plan, and you get several gigs of space, e-mail, web design tools - I even host my own blog through them.

However, it's all do it yourself. If writing HTML and setting up FTP frightens you, this may not be your spot. :)

-- Linda

soap
06-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Good question. I have asked similar questions here over time.
I found that website providers such as Yahoo, Sitekreator are great at first but do not allow a lot of changes or offer much design freedom. I was with sitekreator for a while but got annoyed when they made changes without telling their customers and I left before I found out that the changes were not that bad. I've tried all sorts, searched the web forever and always come back to good old-fashioned HTML.
I don't want to fork out money for Frontpage and the like.
HTML is REALLY easy to learn. There are tons of tutorials on the web. With the most basic info you can design any sort of website you want.
So I just write HTML in notepad and upload it (FTP - wise program) to my website. Easy-peasy, FREE and I can do what I want.
I highly recommend it.

vhere
06-20-2007, 01:38 PM
I created a website a long time ago with Geocities (free) using Frontpage. I lost access to it somehow and can't update it - there's no help, noone to ask how to get back to it - useless!!!!

Then I created a site with sitekreator - who are fantastic, they respond to requests for help promptly, have easy to use templates to choose from and I've been very happy with them. The site looks much more professional as well.