PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher June 4 - June 10

Pat Isaac
06-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Good morning everyone,

We are having much need rain with the remnants of tropical storm Barry. Everything was very dry around here and this will be good for the gardens. A great day to spend at my studio.
So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

hopalong
06-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Hi Pat and All,
Last night my daughter and I went for a stroll in our local forest preserve and we really hit the jackpot. We saw 3!!! turtles and a bunch of frogs and a GREAT BLUE HERON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were so excited!!! Just had to share. I've attached a pix of the frog. Kelsey was about a foot and 1/2 from its nose!!
Hope everyone has a great week.

Pat Isaac
06-04-2007, 08:40 AM
How nice to have such a lovely place to take a stroll. The frog is too funny..:lol: Every summer on the pond behind our house there is often a blue heron and many times there are swans. It is hard to get pictures as they usually are not near where the public can walk.

Pat

LJW
06-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Lindsay, at first I thought the frog was a funny looking hot-air balloon, since the sky reflections are so clear. It's great that there is a nature preserve nearby. Now that we live in the country we see lots of wildlife we rarely saw before. And so many butterflies. Not to mention the howling coyotes at night - I didn't know what it was the first time we heard them.

Pat, we're getting rain today and tomorrow. It's been cloudy and threatening for several days. It means I can get some indoor work done, but I do miss the sunshine. Still, it's good for the garden. Jane

AnnieA
06-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Pat and Jane: It's clearly a different storm, since I live in (the other) Washington, but it's overcast and rainy here too today. I'm sort of glad, actually, since the last few days were pretty hot - mid 80s and quite humid. I wilted. :lol:

Lindsay: Lovely photos and how nice to have an area like that nearby. I got a chuckle from the frog. :)

wabbitt
06-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Hi all. I finally got to stay home for a weekend. However in an attempt to be productive at home, I didn't get as much art done as I had hoped. I have a full week chauffering Mom around to three appointments and one for myself. Our "May Gray" has turned into "June Gloom" which means all I see is gray skies until afternoon.

Lindsay - that is a funny frog picture I never would have recognized, but that background sky is beautiful.

Pat Isaac
06-04-2007, 04:51 PM
It really poured rain here today and now has turned to drizzle, but the garden is very happy and new seeds are coming up.
I expected to get so much work done at my studio today....:rolleyes: but that was not to be. I did get some done, but was constantly interrrupted with meetings about the future of the building. One of the members is going way to far in assuming what we all want and has now made enemys of the new owner, so I am really going to be backing off and let the new owner do what he has to do and hope that he will be up front with all of us.
We had a huge plumbing problem which occured in the house today and if my husband hadn't been home at the time we would have had a major flood...:eek: Very fortuitous, as it could have happened anytime.
We have coyotes here too, Jane. In this very urbanized community. I have seen them in the early morning in the backyard.

Pat

hopalong
06-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Wow! Coyotes! I think we have some in another forest preserve a few miles from my house. They are supposed to be perfectly adapted to urban life. I wonder if they eat mice and rabbits. Our rodent population is totally out of wack....no predators so they are really fruitful and multiplying. Rainy here too today and yesterday.

Pat, plumbing problems are such a pain. I hope your's does not cost too much. (Plumbing problems are NEVER cheap). And it sounds like everyone is really stirred up by the building issues.

Jane, are you a former city dweller? How far out in the country are you? Sounds like you are really out there with all that wild life. I constantly feel a pull between the part of me that loves the city and the inner nature girl. If I won the lottery, I'd live in my current home most of the time and rent a cottage in a remote area for 3 months of the year. (Have my cake and eat it too!!!)

Pat Isaac
06-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Actually, we are not far into the country as we are a suburb of Boston. I am just always amazed at the wildlife in our yard and we live on a state highway!
The past 2 years we have had deer in our yard, eating our peas and my flowers!!:eek: Regulars are possum, skunk, wild turkey, bunnies, racoons, geese from the pond and mallards eating the bird seed. And, of course, squirrels and chipmunks. Last week, coyotes were seen in a section of Boston. We are continually taking over their habitats. The coyotes around here have reduced the cat popualtion and there are warnings to make sure you keep your cat in especially at dusk and in the early morning.
The plumbing problem worked out fine as my husband had the parts and replaced them. It could have been such a disaster if nobody had been home.

We are going to watch one of our granddaughters play in the state tennis championship today. She is a sophomore and undefeated.

Pat

hopalong
06-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Gosh you have enough animals for an ark!! You are right about habitat encroachment! I sometimes think we should have done what Europe has done...tighter zoning so there is dense populations clustered but country areas near by.

I wish your grand daughter luck today

Pat, could you please tell me what book you bought by Jacquelin Black? I searched amazon but to no avail! Thanks.

Pat Isaac
06-05-2007, 09:09 AM
It's called "Learn to Paint with Oil Pastel" and it is at Amazon. It is a small book and deals mostly with landscape. She has a painterly technique.
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0004126351/105-7852695-6674830?SubscriptionId=19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2

Pat

hopalong
06-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks Pat. I appreicate the link

LJW
06-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Lindsay, we used to live in Ottawa. We moved about an hour's drive south into farming territory. There is a certain amount of bush as well, as the soil quality is very variable here. We only have 12"-14" of soil over bedrock on our property, but a mile away they have good soil for crops. The bush provides shelter for the animals and, as there are a lot of streams nearby, they have a good water source as well. Last year, a bear marked a tree on our property and deer and wild turkeys eat apples from our old apple tree. At one point, a porcupine started chewing on our garage (our house is modern log construction) and we had to have the local "nuisance wildlife officer" come and trap him (he let him go in the woods up the road). It's been quite a change from the city, but I love the peace and quiet.

Pat, thanks for that reference and link. I've ordered a used copy from one of the book sellers who does international shipping (many don't unfortunately). I like to have as many landscape references as possible. I always think it's amazing that there are so many different ways to interpret and represent landscapes - given all the paintings here at WC and all my books I rarely see any that are alike (unless the painter is deliberately copying someone else's style). Jane

Pat Isaac
06-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Sounds like a lovely spot, Jane. I hope you like the book. Were you able to glance at it? It is a small but concise book and gives some good pointers.
We are back from our granddaughters tennis match. I don't know yet if their team will move on in the finals, but our granddaughter won her match and she is still undefeated this year and she is only a sophomore. She is so cool on that court, doesn't get ruffled at all.

Pat

AnnieA
06-06-2007, 01:40 AM
Jane: Oh, that sounds like a wonderful place to live. Lucky you! It's wonderful to be able to look out the window and see animals and birds. There's a different pace to nature and it's very relaxing. Here in the NW even the cities have a bit of that feel to them - everything is so green - so I guess I'm lucky too.

Pat: I appreciate the link to the book too. Another book to add to my ever-growing list! I searched a bit to see if I could find any painting by Jaqueline Black - no luck. I did find a squidoo lens about books for artists that was sort of interesting so I'm passing it along: http://www.squidoo.com/bestbooksforartists

Whoever put together the lens did include a lot of good books - choice of materials was not a strong point for this person though.

hopalong
06-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Jane, how lovely! You have some really WILD animals. Wow, bears and porcupines. How amazing! Are you a little uncomfortable with the bears so close?

Pat, Congrats to your grand daughter! Undefeated!! You all must have celebrated yesterday!

Annie, thanks for that link. I've put one more book on my ever growing wish list. I think Amazon and NOrthlight has reserved a special place for me in book heaven for all the $$$ I spend hahahah.

Pat Isaac
06-06-2007, 08:48 AM
That's interesting, Annie. That is the first link I went to to get to the Black book.
:lol: :lol: , Lindsay, I have a place reserved too. When I have to move out of my studio, I'll need a room just for my books.
My granddaughter plays again today in the semi finals and are playing in a town very close to us, so we are going to try and get there. Last year her team went to the semis and lost, but to get that far is great, one of 4 teams. The team they are playing today is tough.

Pat

AnnieA
06-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Best of luck to your gd, Pat! It sounds like she's a terrific player! That's funny that the squidoo lens is the same one where you originally got the Black book. Small world (internet). :lol:

LJW
06-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Pat, best of luck to your granddaughter - the team has done well to get as far as they have. I know what you mean about books. Next to art supplies, they are my favourite purchase.

Lindsay, I too am a long standing member of NorthLight Book Club. I just received three new books in the mail from them, which I'm happily reading. We had a conservation officer check out our bear situation and he said the bear was probably just passing through and marking his terrain. Since we have very little soil over bedrock on our property, there are no den possibilities. Still, we do keep it in mind. Jane

AngelaF
06-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Good luck to your granddaughter, Pat -- that is great! Sorry the studio happenings are taking so much of your time. I can't believe you have that kink of wildlife near Boston!

Lindsay, beautiful photos, its really great you have such a great nature place nearby.

Jane, it sounds like you are really out in the country. Wow, a log house -- that is wonderful. I am painting my great room in log trombiel (sp.?) you know, fake logs, lol, since I can't have a real log house.

Thanks for the book links, Pat and Annie, my Amazon.com didn't show any pictures, will check again on it later.

I started a painting Sat. and worked on it last night a little -- only have preliminary drawing done -- decided to do a much more detailed than usual prelimaray drawing -- it is of a dog, and I have not been happy with my two dog paintings to-date, so have really concentrated on the prelimary drawing. I don't like to work in bits and pieces -- but it is better than not working at all, and really a habit I need to cultivate.

LJW
06-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Angela, it's great to hear that you're painting. I found that painting a bit at a time with Pat's classroom was just right while looking after Freddie our dog (who is improving). You can keep your hand in and learn things, while having to cope with a stressful day-to-day situation. We have a modern square-cut log house - it's better than round because you don't have to dust the logs. :lol: I'm interested to hear about your faux-log finish. That's quite an ambitious project! I love the look of the logs in the interior. Ours have a strip of white faux chinking between them and the pattern is decoration enough, so I don't have any paintings hanging on them. Upstairs the walls are typical white plasterboard with pine wainscoting below. Hope your house renovations go well. Jane

hopalong
06-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Jane, did you get the Master Disaster one this month? I accidentally forgot to check the bos and got it anyway but I really like it. Even though its for wcs she has some really lovely advice about composition and making your work expressive and individual. I also got Drawing with Your Artist's Brain but have not read it yet.

So glad your bear is not a permanent visitor. When we visit Yosemite in California, its a little spooky to see the damage a bear can do.

CarlyHardy
06-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Hi to everyone!
Just checking in to let you know I'm still painting with the oilies!! Most of my time is spent in the studio now and it's an hour from home, so I'm not on the computer much of the time. Moving out of the house was a good thing for my art...I'm much more productive with my time now!

Nice to hear that someone is getting the rain...we have had some showers but not nearly enough to put a damper on the draught in Georgia. However the tropical storm was good for the wild fires in the southeast part of the state. Most days we had smoke in the air north of Atlanta! I can't even imagine what it's like to live closer to one of those raging fires.

I sold one of my oil pastel paintings last week from the studio!! It was a landscape painted plein air - a wildflower field on black arches coverstock. That was a real boost in my economic status....at least for this month!

If any of you have access to the International Artist magazine, check out the last issue (not the newest one) for an artist named Tom Jensen. He's from Washington state. If you do a google search, you'll find his website. I don't remember the url but it's awesome! He paints over oils on canvas with his oil pastels. I emailed him with some questions. If he sends me info, I'll share with all of you about how he protects the paintings on canvas. They are quite large too.

My biggest news right now is that I'm going to be a grandmother in December! I've decided it's a boy....much to my daughter's chagrin....she wants it to be a girl. But the new Dad and I agree! :)

My best to everyone!
carly

p.s. some other news...I won an honorable mention award and the third place award for my paintings in the Southeast Pastel Society Members Show last week. I almost fainted!! Best friend, Marsha Savage (that some of you know) won First Place and an Honorable Mention also!!

AnnieA
06-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Pat: How did your gd do in the tennis match? Any news on the building?

Angela: Great that you've gotten some painting time in. Looking forward to seeing the painting. I wish I was better at working in spurts. For the most part, when I start something, I want to keep working at it til it's done, and that's not always possible. That's why I like the sketch thread so much - the one hour time limit makes it manageable and I don't have to feel guilty for painting when I really should be doing something else.

Jane: Your home sounds really lovely. I remember the photos that you posted of your studio, which looked just perfect. I'm glad to hear your dog is doing better. :)

Carly: Sounds like you've had a terrific month! Sales and awards! :thumbsup: Was it an OP that won? Did you post it here at WC? (If you did, please give us a link!) An early congrats on your new grandbaby too!

It's been cool, and rainy or overcast here a lot in the last week or so. It's always disheartening when June is like that, but I know by August I'll be wishing for this sort of weather again. It's great for my plants though. :)

Julie: If you read this, congrats on a very successful hosting of the Scavenger hunt. It was a great list!

AngelaF
06-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Jane, thanks for the description of your house. It sounds really lovely. Do you have a porch, seems like that is another great feature of most log houses. I got my plans for painting faux logs off the net. It may make the room too dark, though I plan to get some ceiling lighting. At least it can be painted over if it doesn't work!! Have to strip some wallpaper before I can paint-- that and getting the clutter out seems harder than the painting!!!

Thanks for stopping in Carly, your website and the photos on it is great. Congratulations on the new studio, sale and the shows!!!! That is great news. Is this your first grandchild? What fun!!!

Annie, I worked an hour on the painting last night, it was fun -- it may improve the work for me to go more slowly.

Off to Coshocton to take my mother to doctors today and will be visiting one of my two brothers this weekend to have dinner and see Carribean Pirates 3. Will worry about the animals, have a pet sitter 2X Sat night and Sunday morning.

Angela

Pat Isaac
06-07-2007, 07:40 AM
We went to our granddaughter's semi final match yesterday and she lost, but her team won!!! They go on to finals now. The girl she played had the same record she did - no losses and it was a great game, very evenly matched. She was okay about it, especially since her team won. If the final is anywhere near us we'll have to go. I saw the new owner of our building yesterday and he was brokering a deal for a new building for us. I'm sure it will be more money and I'll have to take less space, but that would be okay. He said he'd let us know next week.
Angela, so glad to hear you are painting again. A little at a time is better than none at all. You must show pics of the faux finish when you're done. Nice to get away for a weekend, have fun.
Carly, congratulations on you awards and the sale! That is why I likemy studio out of the house. I get so much more done there than I ever would here. A grandbaby.....how nice, maybe a christmas one.
Jane how is Freddie doing?
Today I'm staying home and trying to finish up my garden work.

Have a great day everyone.

Pat

hopalong
06-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Carley,
So nice to hear things are going well for you. I'm glad your new studio is working out. And Congrats on your award! You won a pastel award with an oiley???? Wow. Very impressive.
I like Tom Jensen's art very much. Lovely stuff. Thanks for the mention. Here's his web page if anyone wants to take a peek.
http://www.tomjensenart.com

LJW
06-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Carly, congratulations on your sale and awards (well deserved) and the approaching status as a grandmother.

Pat, sounds like things may work out on the studio front. Glad your granddaughter's team made it to the finals. Freddie is doing better, not completely back to normal but much better, thanks.

Angela, we have a screened porch on the back which is almost a necessity out here in the country, with blackflies, mosquitos and then horse/deer flies.

Lindsay, thanks for the web page reference. My North Light membership is on an "order only" basis, which I requested so that I don't have to return the card every month. Returning a book across the border would be too much trouble.

Annie, thanks. We love the character of the house and I do like my studio space, but I wish it were twice the size. :) Jane

hopalong
06-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Jane, what a great idea. I think I'll change mine too. It's too tempting to just get them if I forget.

Pat Isaac
06-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Me too...

Pat

CarlyHardy
06-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Pat,
So sorry to hear that your granddaughter lost her match, but hoorah! for the team's win!

Yep, this is my first grandchild of an only child...can you tell I'm excited!! I suppose I'll be one of those grandma's who carries around tons of pictures to thrill everyone with....lol!

Angela, let us know how the movie turns out! It's on my to do list this next week :)
carly

CarlyHardy
06-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Oh, I forgot to tell you that my paintings were soft pastels. The Southeast Pastel Society doesn't allow oilies in their shows.....yet!
carly

hopalong
06-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Pat, sorry about your granddaughter loosing. but hooray for her team! Hope you enjoy gardening today. I just got word that my NOrthLight membership was changed to a No Ship situation!!! Yea! No more accidental books! Thanks for the suggestion Jane!!

Pat Isaac
06-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Just be sure you show us pictures, Carly.

Pat