PDA

View Full Version : Grove

Old Tex
06-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Okay, it's time someone posted something new here. My muse seems to have been somewhere else lately, but I think I'm working my way out of it. Did this today from one of my abandoned golf course shots. C&C Welcome

Gouache 8x10
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2007/100938-Grove.jpg

Alachua Artist
06-04-2007, 02:03 PM
I do so appreciate the way you handle the gouache. Your technique is interesting, and gives your work an etheric feel, especially the shadow areas.

I am curious as to why you work small. You had mentioned that you have not been painting with gouache very long - however, the level of skill expressed in work belies that timeframe.

You shame me - I must get back to my easel!
:-)

Old Tex
06-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Wendy, I really do appreciate such kind comments. Personally, I think I'm still exploring technique. I think I know what I want to do, but something gets lost in the execution most of the time. I tried painting with acrylics about 18 years ago, but didn't study enough, and gave up after only a few paintings. As I've mentioned before, I started using gouache as a wash underlayer for Prismacolor pencil work, then started glazing over the pencil work with gouache. It worked pretty well, but this past January, after turning 63, I finally decided I'd just like to paint. And the gouache was there, so it became my medium of choice sort of by default. Now, I find myself with a strong desire to see if I can actually create painterly paintings with gouache.

I've worked small primarily because I haven't had enough confidence in my brushwork to "justify" wasting a lot of paint on bad paintings (and I've got a growing stack of those, believe me). I was doing pretty well on portraits, but I really wanted to do landscapes, and I haven't yet figured out how to translate the brushwork from one to the other. But having moved from 5x7 to 8x10, I suppose another step up is probably coming soon. Your question has prompted me to give it a try, maybe up to 11x14 (gasp! That sounds HUGE compared to what I've been doing.)

As to the progress, well, I really appreciate the compliment, but I still feel very inadequate (my wife just shakes her head when I say that). I do seem to have put myself on a fast track, but that's probably due to my age. I have a lot of time to make up, and I don't have 20 or 30 years to spend slowly developing. Rightly or wrongly, I'm in a bit of a hurry.

Sorry to ramble on, but sometimes I need to express my motivation to remind myself why I do this night after night, weekend after weekend. I love doing it, and am in pursuit of eventually producing a truly fine collection of paintings that will produce a lot of "wow"s. I gotta long way to go. Thanks!

pinkrybns
06-05-2007, 03:46 AM
Hi Ralph,

This is just my opinion, but ... I don't think any artist worth their salt has ever, or does ever, feel confident. It's always "the next one will be better". I wouldn't worry about it...just keep going. Your work is really marvelous in many ways, even if you don't see it all the time.

This painting is no exception! Lovely soft view. Also, I do see a style developing in your peices, and yes you are an artist..don't argue with me or your wife! :D :D

:thumbsup:

Judy

Old Tex
06-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Yes'm. And thanks!

meglyman
06-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Ralph,

I really like the simplicity of this one. The colors are great, and the composition is very nice. Relaxing, yet slightly anticipatory.

11x14 does seem sort of daunting, doesn't it? I keep wanting to go bigger, so I am going to try painting gouache onto a canvas (6x6 to start). I don't know if it will work, but on canvas, the size options are limitless!

I agree with Judy. Never being totally satisfied with your work is a sign that you're always analyzing yourself, looking to improve, and getting better. Good artists certainly can feel confident in their abilities, but they don't have to - and they're always finding ways to improve.

Meg

Old Tex
06-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Talking about working large in gouache... I have to share this. This is western artist Gordon Snidow at work. With gouache. On illustration board. Now THAT's intimidating.

Thanks for the good words and encouragement!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2007/100938-Gordon_Snidow_at_easel_2.jpg

AriadneArts
06-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Ralph, I just love this piece. The sky is stunning in it's soft color gradation and I love the way you handled the foliage, softly yet realistically. Comp is great too. Here's a WOW! for you, and you do, indeed, deserve it. :thumbsup:

meglyman
06-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for sharing that photo of Gordon. It's incredible! I'd love to watch him paint. I wonder if he does classes...?

Old Tex
06-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Meg, I think he's somewhere in his eighties now. I believe he lives in Ruidoso, New Mexico. How I wish I had known that and met him when I lived there. According to his official website, he released a new painting in 2003 that was priced at $63,000.

maggie latham
06-10-2007, 09:06 AM
:wave:

Hello,

I really like it. It reminds me of ‘home’ in England. Did you use Kamar on this one?

Maggie

:cat:

Old Tex
06-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Hi Maggie. Glad you like it. I haven't varnished it yet. I've got several that I'm going to varnish soon. I'm interested in seeing what it's going to do to the colors.