PDA

View Full Version : The Goal Post for June

Piper Ballou
06-02-2007, 12:35 AM
For those new to this thread this is all about setting goals, trying new things with your art and supporting each other in our journey. Here, we choose our goals for the month, list them (always helps to write them down) and discuss them as the month goes on.

Don't worry if you write goals you do not achieve right away, I did not accomplish much in May...holy cow, where did that month go, so with that said, I think it is important to give yourself a little direction and it is okay at anytime to change your goals...

This is also the place to post your experiments, anything you have tried to do that is new or even old methods, we are here to encourage you. So, The main rule for this area is that it is a NO CRITIQUE ZONE. If you CHOOSE to invite full critiques (and I’d encourage you to do so when you’re ready and when what you’re doing is at the right stage), we ask that you copy the work in question to the appropriate Studio (Oil or Soft Pastel) and ask for critiques from participants there.

I am not even going to look back at my May goals, I did not realize how busy of a month it was going to be....but summer is just about here for me and I have lots of things planned. For those new to this thread, I am a teacher and have the summer off.....

Goal for June
1. I want to paint three animal paintings, either pet portraits or some type of animal, I have been eyeing the June Pastel Strokes this month already which is a Yelllow Lab

2. I am going to repent and paint one painting for the sketch thread too each week....yes, Lindsay and Annnie I will get them done....

3. This month I want to try a Plein Air....I just got the book- On Location-Plein Air Painting in Pastel by Richard McDaniel...I just started reading it today

4. I need to update my website and blog more.

5. Find a fine art show for the fall (it is just way to hot here in the southwest to do anything outside during the summer)

6. Most important, I am going to have some fun painting....

Piper

eagle owl
06-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Hi

I'm not going to bore you with the details but I've had a real painting block for months - it's a confidence thing.

So...

I'm going to post one goal and if - oops! WHEN - I conquer that I'll post another.

1. Paint Kate's lab for June's pastel strokes.

Carol

PS I need all the encouragement I can get :wink2:

CM Neidhofer
06-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Well, I managed to meet one goal from May. The May Pastel Strokes. Plein aire on the balcony didn't happen. It was still flurrying snow a couple of days ago, late in the afternoon. Didn't complete a WIP either.

So that's this month's goals. Finish the WIP, June's Pastel Strokes and Pat's demo in the OP forum.

Christine

CindyW
06-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi Piper, Carol, and Kristine,
Great goals!
Much power to you all to accomplish them.

Goals for me....

1. Join a couple local art groups to have needed contact with people in real life.
2. Pastel a pet portrait for a friend.
3. Pick up wire panels ordered for shows and sew material covers for them....and hang what work I do have finished on them to figure out placement.

Good luck to all with their goals.

Cindy

Piper Ballou
06-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Carol, You picked a winner to get back into the swing of things. Painter's block is rough, I found if I (sometimes I have to force myself to do this) is draw out a painting and put it on my easel, even if I do not want to paint for a few days, it is still there, waiting, waiting....eventually I think I will just play with it for a few minutes and pretty soon I am painting. Be sure to check back with us and show us the stages you are painting...that helps too.

Christine-I have read all about the snow, snow, snow you have had this year, wow, this Arizona gal does not understand snow....sorry....good luck on your goals.

Chirs-Tell me more about the wire panels you ordered, we borrowed some from a friend when we have done our shows, they are nice but too wide and heavy for me to handle and I really need to look at getting our own.

We are off to a great start this month.....
piper

CindyW
06-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Chirs-Tell me more about the wire panels you ordered, we borrowed some from a friend when we have done our shows, they are nice but too wide and heavy for me to handle and I really need to look at getting our own.

We borrowed wire panels from my friend who does shows and now my husband and I are buying our own from the same man who makes them that she bought them from.....and you can see pix of them in that artshow thread from two years ago (05) that Sandy started. When I get a chance, I'll see if I can find that thread....although you might find it first.
Not sure these are any bit lightweight, tho., still probably heavy to handle for one person.
CIndy

Pat Isaac
06-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Well, I only did half of what I said I'd do in May, but I did start the classroom and did some demos.
This month, I would like to finish the classroom and get a painting done for an upcoming show that I always participate in.
I would llike to catch up with the sketch thread and do the June PS, but that remains to be seen.

Pat

Piper Ballou
06-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Happy Week everyone,
School is over- yippeeee, I was so busy last week and needed the weekend to totally relax ( acutally need the entire summer to relax)

I did manage a sketch for teh sketch thread at the beginning of the week, did not get to get back much to the thread to see how it week, will try that later today.

Also, a friend of ours who does Gun Shows, got us a table at a big show in Vegas end of this month, we decieded to just go and see what happens, even though they are a lot of wives buying things other then guns and such I decided I will try to get an elk, or cougar or something along that line down. If I do not sell it, my son in law will gladly hang it on his wall.

We try my plein air next week, we are going camping at Zions National Park, it will be perfect to spend sometime painting there.

Happy Painting
piper

Piper Ballou
06-18-2007, 10:50 PM
June is slipping by quickly, it is summer break for me and I have learned to cherish every moment....even when it is taking an afternoon nap

I took some photos today for a pet portrait for the winner of a raffle for the Relay for Life fund raiser here. they are schnauzers, and looks to be fun to paint.
I did get my new landscape Great Americans and love them.
I am also working on a landscape with an elk.....quite the struggle but learning a lot.
Happy Painting
piper

bogbeast
06-20-2007, 12:30 AM
I'm trying to get back on WC, so I'll dip my toes in here, too.

While my partner recuperates from grad school, and since the right job is apparently not available yet, we're making a concerted effort to schedule time off for each of us weekly--no kids, no errands, more than just an hour or so after they are in bed. That means that I should have enough brain cells available to start painting a little!

And, like I said in the scumble, I actually DID a painting 10 days ago, while camping (all by myself! Yee-haw!!!). So, I apparently haven't lost everything to the babies.

So, my goal is very simple: do another painting. Doesn't have to be big or important or even worth keeping, just has to be dust on paper. And since I have a good bit of tomorrow off, I think that is an achievable goal!

Libby

Piper Ballou
06-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Hi Libby, Nice to see you again.
Great goal.....I am going to catch up on the scumble this week, I have not made it over there yet
I know you are busy with little ones, but make sure you do give yourself a piece of time here and there....I wish I had done that more (promise I will not get on a soap box if you do not complete another painting.....just happy to see you back on WC
piper

Piper Ballou
06-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Usually on Monday morning I try to get this thread up to the top...I have a class tomorrow morning so I am bumping it up tonight.....

We have a table at a gun show in Las Vegas next weekend...should be interesting to see how we do, something very different for sure.

I have not painted much.....not going to look at my goals either...just take one day at a time this week.

I do not know how many of you have read the comments from Sooz's daughter and those who knew Sooz.(there is a thread about Sooz's passing nine months ago that is posted in the Pastel Library).....this was a thread that was started by Sooz (at least I think she started it) she was always so helpful and kind, it is a honor for me to start this thread each month for Sooz....I am not as graceful as she was but I can feel her looking over my shoulder as many of you do and giving us little tipbits along the way....
piper

eagle owl
06-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Well I'm nearly finished the pastel strokes dog portrait. Definitely finish tomorrow :thumbsup:

Carol

bogbeast
07-01-2007, 02:46 AM
Well, I'm pleased--I did manage to do another painting, even if I haven't gotten it posted yet-- about an hour of a "boatworks" building, basically trying to decay into the channel between Alameda (where I live, an island that used to be a peninsula in San Francisco bay) and Oakland.

It is titled "Grumpy's Boatworks" because the owner (I assume) came out to give me grief after I'd been there 45 minutes--in a more or less deserted part of town, sitting on an unused sidewalk and NOT in front of his business (which I've always thought was abandoned!). When I politely pointed out that I was on a public sidewalk, legally parked, and can photograph whatever is visible from public property, he declared "That does it! I'm going to call you in!" Of course if he actually did call the cops, which I doubt, no one appeared. I can't imagine that the Oakland police--who are dealing with one of the highest murder rates in the country--would be very interested in me sitting there painting! Unfortunately, I was almost done, and finished it in about 10 minutes and left as I'd planned--I wouldn't have minded staying there longer just for spite, he was so outrageous!

So the story is probably better than the painting. Hopefully, I can finish spiffing up both of these recent ones and post them this week, and maybe do another. Depends a lot on the kiddies. Come fall, Sam starts Early Head Start, too (Olivia gets to move into the Big Kid's room, because she will be 2 1/2), and I will have my mornings free! no more excuses not to paint.

So I already have my goals for July, since it has almost started--spif and post, paint more (at least one!), and try to start getting involved in WC again, commenting on other's work and the like. I'm finding it very hard to break out of lurking mode--feeling shy after long absence, I guess, and there are a lot of "new" people here now.

Libby

eagle owl
07-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Ok, so it's late - very late - but at least I got it done. First time in months I was able to finish a painting. You have no idea how good I feel :clap:

Carol