PDA

View Full Version : sign painting

wanderfast
11-28-2000, 11:15 AM
Does anyone know how to paint a sign on a glass door? Im interested in what type of paint is used, is there a ground of some sort etc. Do you do it on the outside of the door and seal it?

TimmyTZ
12-03-2000, 08:58 AM
"One Shot" "Chromatic" sign paint, on outside of very clean glass. Don't let the oil from your hand contaminate surface. Squirrel hair quil is good brush choice. Check for "sign supply" in your area, or dick blick or atlanta artist co-op. BTW use cellophane tape for tops and bottoms of "square" letter strokes. Also "reducers" are better than thinners for this type of paint. Paper pattern can be placed on inside of glass. Oh,yeah... be prepared for people watching, and talking over your shoulder!!

DFGray
12-03-2000, 01:37 PM
I ve painted signs for 30 years...I paint on the inside of the glass so no one can scrape the outside off also it looks cleaner...
I would use sign quality enamels and sign brushes and put my pattern or my layout on the outside and paint in reverse... some times you have to come back and coat it twice

Shriner
12-08-2000, 09:01 PM
boy, I was immediately ready to respond when I saw this but there are already great recommendations...

I have only done it a couple of times - yes, painting on the inside is the best, and you can put your "drawing" on the outside and trace it off from the inside, of course... dont' know what I can add as DFGray will be your expert here

------------------
Shriner