PDA

View Full Version : Securing a hot head torch

imagesinglass
05-31-2007, 12:58 AM
Hi there, I'm new here and to flamework.
I have been using a hot head with MAPP gas but am going to start using propane from the old barbecue tank. I'm not sure how to secure the hot head to my work table. Please help. :confused: Pictures would help me as I'm a visual learner.

Thanks. Suzanne

Ellen Altamore
05-31-2007, 08:24 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2007/11086-DSC00670.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2007/11086-DSC00669.JPG
Not the best pictures; hope they help.
I never used propane (I have a 27# tank of MAPP/propylene) but I'm thinking the hose might be the same either way. Connect it directly from the tank to the torch. No regulator.
If I can help further, please feel free to pm me.

KetchikanSculptor
05-31-2007, 11:56 AM
I would like to suggest using a red hose from a welding shop or hardware store in place of the BBQ style hose..... specially if you are going to work in-doors. The black hose works but there is no guarantee that it will not leak from any of the end fittings. After all this hose is designed for out-door use. I used the black one for a while.... to long... before I got my red hose. Those are made stronger and more resistant to accidental holes.

Sorry Ellen.... I hope you understand my butting in.

imagesinglass
05-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks Ellen and Ruth. Ellen, I PM'd you.

Ruth, I've already purchased the black hose so I'll use that for now. I'll be indoors making the beads but the tank will be outside.

Suzanne

KetchikanSculptor
05-31-2007, 02:27 PM
Please... Please... Please... be sure to drain your hose after each session and PLEASE do a regular check for gas leaks. I would HATE to hear about someone getting hurt from something like this. I personally am not as concerned about the tank as much as a non rated hose. The BBQ hoses often are not meant for more then an hours worth of well vented (outside) use. I think it even says something on the packaging about it. Suzanne, I do appreciate saving money... really.. I once had to chose between feeding my kids and paying bills. LOL... I choose the food of course! ;) Anyway, for as little as the red hose costs and you can return the black one..... even without the packaging to most stores.... and use that money to buy a red hose. It could possibly save your life and those near you. Gas leaks can be very dangerous... as I am sure you know. Ok, so I have probably bent your ear a lil to much.... but I would hate myself if I didn't at least try to let you know the things I mentioned. I do hope you take it in the spirit it is intended. I really do care about your safety.

rosebud101
05-31-2007, 03:39 PM
Ruth, My hose is black. I purchased it at a tractor supply house in the welding section. It's not meant for the BBQ. Is there something else I should look for?

Thanks,
Mallory

KetchikanSculptor
05-31-2007, 03:45 PM
Hi Mallory! What did it say on the package that it came in? I know some of those places carry the same equipment but package it differently. Most hoses (if not all) for torch work of any kind have a psi rating. The last thing you want to do is get a hose that will have pressure issues. I so worry about all the new peeps and don't want anything bad to happen to any of you.

imagesinglass
05-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Hi Ruth,
Thanks for the information. I am a safety freak...my kids say I'm afraid of my own shadow....I'm really not one to take any chances.
When I go to the welding/hardware store what exactly do I ask for? Do I have to know PSI or anything?
I will certainly be disconnecting both ends of the hose after each use and checking it with soapy water (connections and hose) before each use...but now I'm worrying about whether or not to even use it.
Oh well, I'm off to Vancouver Island for along weekend with the girls....so I'll worry about this next week when I get back.

Thanks again. I really love this site...there's sooooo much information and everyone is so friendly.

S

rosebud101
05-31-2007, 05:06 PM
Hi, Ruth, I don't have the packaging any more, but I will go and look at the tractor supply store to check it out. I worked with the salesman there. I told him what I was doing and what I needed. That is what he showed me. The only hoses that were different were the very long ones. There is a welding supply place near me. I'll check that out, too. Thanks.

Mallory

tckitty
06-01-2007, 08:29 AM
My husband builds trays that we designed together for this purpose. If you don't have a dedicated work area....it's great because you can pick it up and your flame proof surface goes with you (and all of your "stuff") and it's easy to stash out of the way. This photo is with the bulk tank....you can still screw on a 1lb without removing your torch head.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2007/11527-lampworktray2.jpg

No, we don't use it or reccomend using it on a table with fabric anywhere near it.

Tammy
TLD Design Center & Gallery
Westmont, IL

http://www.tlddesigns.com

imagesinglass
06-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Hi again,

Well, I FINALLY got it together. I found a small $5.00 table that fits in my workshop to attach my hot head torch to. I covered it with a piece of flashing. I set it up today and made a few beads. When I took my first class I was taught on a Nortel Minor. It's sure different on the hot head. What size of flame should I be using and where in the torch should I be working. Today I found it hard to keep the glass rod hot enough to flow easily when making a bead.
Also, because I don't have a hood fan yet I was working right in front of one door, facing out the door of my workshop with the backdoor open and a small fan behind me. I hope that's enough ventilation because I sure don't want to get ill.
Anyway, thanks everyong for your help (again).
Suzanne

Kraylen
06-11-2007, 02:35 PM
6 more days till I get my torch!(sorry to be off topicish)