View Full Version : Were to start?????

MarkL
05-08-2002, 09:08 PM
Hey All

I'm thinking about giving Acrylics ago
I work in oil and Ink at the moment,

Any pitfalls I should know about?
Should I get tubes or pots of paint?
how do you go for colour mixing on the pallet?
what's the drying time on the pallet compared to oil?
what type of brush?

all these questions, but hey might as well get the good oil from the people that know eh?

so any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

YLCIA
05-09-2002, 12:06 AM
You may try the previous post from March 12, 2002 by Sparky:
Acrylic workshop/demo notes, I believe it is page 6 of this forum.

Julia

Matttscott
05-09-2002, 09:27 AM
I'm with Mark on these questions. I took some painting classes back in high school, but they were in no way comprehensive. I still have a lot of questions before I get back into painting...

Hey, Mark, here's the link to the thread that Julia mentioned: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35644

It's a really good read, but it still doesn't answer your questions concerning brushes and tubes vs. pots.

--Matt :cool:

jocelynsart
05-09-2002, 09:58 AM
Hi There: I thought I would just put down some of the things I have found when using acrylics.
I use a ceramic plate as a palette, putting small amount of paint out. For the colours I use more of, yellow ochre, burnt sienna and white, a put larger amounts out. I buy Liquitex tubes, but if you are working huge, you may want to buy the jars-like Golden. I work approx 36"x40" usually.
The acrylic will dry within minutes, as you mix. So, I mix a pretty large amount of the base coat colour of whatever I am painting. If I am painting a purple shirt for instance, I layer the medium tone colour on in large strokes, pretty evenly. I then use the paint pretty dry to dry brush the lights and darks. I go back and forth quickly from the palette to the canvas with acrylics. For dry brushing, you can just keep picking up a tiny bit of paint on the tip of the brush (usually a full round) from the colour you mixed until you can no longer get that paint picked up, cause it is now dry. I just keep my colours topped up on the palette in little piles, and keep dragging and mixing the same amounts as I need it. Dry brushing is basically having pretty dry, small amounts of paint on the end of a brush and rubbing hard as evenly weighted as possible, to layer transparent tone over tone.
Acrylics need alot of practice. They are not as forgiving as oil. Oil you can keep glazing over a surface or work very opaque, and the drying time is miles away from acrylics. Acrylics also dry lighter than what you put down and they don't have that nice glossy wet look at the end. Basically, it is just getting used to how little or how great an amount of paint to mix then using it as quick as possible on your surface.
You may want to use them on masonite that has been primed, undertoning in one colour first. This I found easier than using them on the absorbant canvas. With masonite you can sort of use them more like oils, glazing wetter thin coats of colour over colour to build forms.
If you use them on masonite, you can use the same brushes as for oil and watercolour. Canvas I use the course bristle brushes, flat and round.
I do not like the retardent you can add to acrylic, it causes them to be more slimy and transparent that way, changes the texture of the acrylic. I would use oils instead if I felt a need to resort to retardents to slow the dry time. But, you can try it. Adding only a tiny bit is best.
Both mediums are used differently so basically, once using both, you will find that you will prefer one over the other probably
:cat: Joss