PDA

View Full Version : new at collage

maggie
11-05-2000, 11:35 PM
hi! this is my first post!
My preferred medium has been watercolor, but lately I've been wanting to try collage. I would like to try layering newsprint and maybe tissue onto watercolor paper to create an interesting "canvas" for a painting or drawing. Any advice on a fixative? I thought of trying an old fashioned flour and water paste, sort of like paper machet, but am afraid it will get gummy if I try to paint on top of it. I am clueless! Thanks for any advice!!

------------------
maggie

kayemme
11-06-2000, 01:57 AM
Cagathoc would be your collage expert, imo here... she's been doing it a while.. sassybird, if you can find her knows quite a bit herself. oh and about papers, if you get a chance to talk to arlene.. she's a paper artist.

you could use YES glue.. it lies flat on any surface, and once it's dry, it's dry.

but i'm not sure how the watercolour will react on it.. what i'd suggest is just try it

might be fun to use tape as a resist and just tape your collage down...?

just remember that if you want your work to stick around for a LONG time, don't use newsprint.. it yellows very fast.

i heard there's some stuff that will neutralize paper acids.. anyone have any experience with that?

cagathoc
11-06-2000, 08:01 AM
Hi Maggie! Welcome to Wet Canvas.

I use acrylic medium as "glue" in my collage work. When you say "tissue", do you mean tissue paper. If so and you want the color to stay the same, use the medium very sparingly applied to the surface (paper or canvas) and then lightly lay on the tissue paper without rubbing.

If you are going to paint over the papers, I recommend acrylic or oil not watercolor.

Cindy

maggie
11-07-2000, 12:26 AM
Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions!! I am putting AWAY the newsprint, and getting out my acrylics right now.
I love this website. Hope I don't get too addicted.

------------------
maggie

[This message has been edited by maggie (edited November 06, 2000).]

CarlyHardy
11-13-2000, 10:02 AM
Maggie, a couple of books that you might like to check out are....

Watercolor and Collage Workshop by Gerald Brommer...gives his landscapes rich textured surfaces and abstract qualities by using a lot of different papers collaged to the surface..He also recommends synthetic brushes (not sable) because the collage get abrasive.

Creative Collage Techniques by Nita Leland & Virginia Lee Williams....more of a step by step guide of demonstrations using different type of mediums and materials for collage.

Creative Discoveries in Watermedia by Pat Dews.....she uses a lot of techniques, resists, collage, scraping, stencils, filtering...and more to get a textured, layered, abstract quality to her paintings.

These are three of my favorites...
carly

maggie
11-13-2000, 11:28 AM
Thank you, Carly!
The books sound intriguing, and just what I would like to try. Guess I'll start looking for them!
If this is what you are in to, I would love to see some of your artwork!!!

------------------
maggie

cagathoc
11-14-2000, 12:07 AM
My favorite is The Art of Paper Collage by Susan Pickering Rothamel

sassybird
11-14-2000, 11:33 PM
I do a lot of chincole with intaglio, and those papers are archival. Be careful of what kind of paper that you use if you want your pieces to stand the test of time.

------------------
sass