PDA

View Full Version : Performance

kayemme
11-05-2000, 12:58 AM
i am posting this here for those who have questions about what i did for my performance last week, so that i don't have to type it out each time it is asked http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

last thursday I had a performance piece due, and i was really nervous about
this because i don't really care for doing performance. anyhow, on halloween
i went downtown with a sign and stood on a streetcorner. the sign said "have
food. have job. have home. need change?" then i offered people change. i did
this for about an hour and this guy, Noah, video taped it from across the
street.

we went back to his place to edit the video, and it got really choppy, so i
couldn't use it. it was only one day, now, until the piece was due! so
wednesday night i came up with this idea of sharing (cuz basically that's
what i was doing with the "change" piece).

I brought with me to school a cutting board, a big knife, some peanut butter
& celery wrapped in coloured celophane, extra celery & peanut butter, a
serving dish and dinner napkins. i wore a full-dress apron (pink & white
checkered) over my chartruse & sea-blue skirt with a chartruse strrreeeetchy
shirt, black mary janes. i recited the poem (about joy and obligation) while
firmly CHOPPing the celery, then dutifully served the sticks to each
classmate. the "audience" got a feeling of a psycho mom, happy to give a
little snack; but inside, obligation sacrificed her persona.

Phyllis Franklin
11-05-2000, 05:57 AM
Sounds like you had a good time as well. Some of our most creative moments come when we are pushed against the wall. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Yep this is Phy...llis
Sounds like Lizz.
P.S.
Join in the fun! Paint one of the painting projects today. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/WetChat/Projects/index.html)

CindyAgathocleous
11-05-2000, 09:14 AM
{{KM}},

Thanks for writing this up to share. Sounds like you had fun and expanded your comfort zone! KUDOS!

Cindy

kayemme
11-06-2000, 01:52 AM
hahaha i only take notes for stuff like geogrpahy and biology, which i'll gladly sell to you for a nominal fee..

muahahhaha

the thing is, that i do take art notes, sorta.. not in class, but whenever i think of something potentially useful, even if it's stupid, i write it down (i have a really poor memory). i oftentimes have a sketchbook nearby.. and if not a sketchbook i always have paper of some sort (bills, usually) and i just write it down!

the change piece was actually a freeway exit idea... when i saw the guys begging for change...and i felt sorry for them.

then i thought about the real idea behind that. if i give them a quarter, the man allows me the moment to feel pity for him. it's not stolen, like the pity i stole while in the car.. it's given, in exchange, for some money.

i'm essentially BUYING an emotion.

struck with the idea, while driving, i fish for my pad and pen and scribble really badly about buying pity or something.. just to remind me.. then i used it later

now the change piece wasn't really making a statement, imo.. i was just doing something fun. and when i gave money to people, i made sure to mention that if they didn't want it to give it to someone that does or needs it.

it mostly just freaked people out, but a couple suits got REALLY mad at me and yelled at me. it's okay, cuz they're suits and i don't really care; they said they didn't need my money, and i believe them.

another guy told me about his million in the bank, i said that was all fine, would he like some change?

another guy was all broken up with a brace on his neck and crutches... he GAVE ME a dollar.. and i tried to tell him i didn't want it.. but he insisted, so i gave it to the street musician who normally works that corner.

anyway, incase you were wondering...

km

CindyAgathocleous
11-06-2000, 07:50 AM
Wow. Really interesting experience.

Shriner
11-07-2000, 02:01 AM
hahahaha... KM, I HAVE to meet you someday...

sassybird
11-07-2000, 02:58 PM
This whole project sounds like it was fun even if you had to go through a few different ideas. I sometimes look around me at the people that pass by and am tempted to do or say something just to get an indication that they are alive. Well, my temptations at times win out over sense......lol Harmless fun all in all, and immensely entertaining.

------------------
sass

kayemme
11-08-2000, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Shriner:
hahahaha... KM, I HAVE to meet you someday...

how bout san francisco in about 7 weeks?

SFMOMA is having a huge modern art retrospective RIGHT NOW. it will be ongoing until early january.

those of you that have the opportunity to see this work, please go. even if you HATE modern art, please go. even if you feel intimidated or uneasy around modern art, please go. do not let an exhibit like this pass you by.

a lot of biggies' work will be there, and you'll be able to experience it for real and let met tell you how different it is when you stand in front of it and when you view it in a magazine. there is no comparison.

my sister, an avid lover of all things rennaissance, stood in front of a pollock piece in las vegas for about an hour, mesmerized. when she told me about her experience i wept little tears of modernistic joy. she's so fabulous, and now her experiences have been extended because she allowed it to happen.

anyway, i'm rambling. go to SFMOMA if you get the chance, if not, i'm sure that the exhibit will be touring near you in the future (if you live in a larger city).

so tim.. wanna have tea and biscuits in san francisco?

km

Shriner
11-10-2000, 11:59 PM
That would be so cool, though I doubt I could make it. What day are you talking about?

kayemme
11-13-2000, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Shriner:
That would be so cool, though I doubt I could make it. What day are you talking about?

sometime around christmas..

probably a bad time, but if possible, would be a blast

km