PDA

View Full Version : mother ...wip

elgordineo
05-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi, went out yesterday and invested in 0.5mm mech pencil with 2b & hb leads and a click erazer.I started this drawing today of my mother on holiday on the spanish islands took last summer.The reference photo is not that good so i drew the outline free hand where i usually would use a grid and thought i would try circulism with slight blending using a cotton bud to get the skin tones.
Iv spent about 3 hours on it up to now using my 2b mech pencil & its on bristol board extra smooth A4 paper.Your comments or critism would be welcome as this is only my 1st attempt at circulism and my 2nd drawing using extra smooth board . :rolleyes:..thank,s P.S the scan is not to good,it seems to have only shown the areas iv shaded and not the whole outline which i wanted but that should sort its self out as i get more done on this.?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2007/97620-002.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2007/97620-img016.jpg

Indyviews
05-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Hi Lee...you have a very good likeness already but there is one thing I want to mention before you any farther. You have her slanting to the right which is ok if you are planning to do so throughout the drawing. The face is actually leaning to the left a very small amount. I mention this only because if later you are going by the photo....you're going to get into trouble.

You're doing a good job otherwise.

mothsailor
05-29-2007, 05:14 PM
This is coming along very well. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

elgordineo
05-29-2007, 06:51 PM
yeah steve after looking at the drawing it is slightly slanted to the right compaired to the reference (the scan makes it worse).I think il try and continue with it as it is am only using this drawing to practice using the new pencil and circulism technic and dont fancy starting from scratch but as usual your spot on.Thanks
Thanks dave, am golfing tomorrow but i should get a bit more done before the weekend.Thanks

mauricar
05-29-2007, 10:45 PM
This is a wonderful beginning. Practice is great, and I am glad that you are sharing with us. I am looking forward to seeing more.
Midge

cmwynn
05-31-2007, 02:27 PM
You have chosen a good reference. She is cheerful and aware, but not all those teeth that come along with most smiles. Good start, very smooth work on the shading.

alfredart
05-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Such kindness in those eyes... Looks like you're off to a good start with this. Remember you're working with a flash picture and may want to tone down some of the lights to keep it from looking washed out.

Peace,
AL

AlisonsArt
05-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Looking good there. Thanks for sharing.

Alison

elgordineo
06-01-2007, 06:49 AM
thanks alison,its a privelige to share my drawings with you,s :)

yeah Al she is a very kind women, sometimes too kind for her own good!Il keep that in mind and maybe tone down some of the high lights on her face.Thanks

thanks cmwynn, like i say, this is the 1st time iv used a mech pencil and the circulism technic and feel i am getting the hang of it the more i progress with the drawing :)

thanks mauricar. What is it they say, practice makes perfect? Well a slight improvement will do..

Got quite a bit more done yesterday so il be moving onto the hair soon.Looking at the ref photo any tips on doing the hair would be a big help for when i start it.Thanks for looking.:wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2007/97620-img017.jpg

Indyviews
06-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Looking very good Lee!

mauricar
06-01-2007, 10:11 AM
This is looking really good. I can't offer you any advice on the hair, but I know there will be someone who is better at it than I am who will come along to help.
Midge

elgordineo
06-15-2007, 04:21 AM
well, finally got round to finishing this drawing of my mother.struggled a bit with the hair and her t-shirt but it has been a good learning process for me :rolleyes: also, not sure i should of put the dark back ground in ?? think it might of looked better left white :confused:
done on extra smooth bristol board using mech 2B pencil & 3B, 5B, & 3F wooden pencils.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2007/97620-img018.jpg

Indyviews
06-15-2007, 09:42 AM
You have a likeness of her Lee. I agree with you on the bg, white would probably have been better...or else darker I suppose.

elgordineo
06-15-2007, 05:53 PM
thanks steve,i agree with going darker on the back ground.What would you suggest to get the back ground really dark using bristol extra smooth paper?

Indyviews
06-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Lee it looks like you have a sort of circulism on the bg and if you lay in some more layers the same way with either the 5B or perhaps with a 2 or 3B first and then the 5B...it will probably do the trick.

Before you darken the bg...check the height of the hair on the left. It doesn't appear to be high enough. As I was writing I went back for another look. The high part needs to go more to left also and make a variation on the right where the part is located. On the right the high part goes down a bit and then the part comes out some and goes down.