PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble May 28 - June 3

Pat Isaac
05-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Good morning to everyone!! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives.

Actually it's afternoon and I knew Kate was away, so thought I would put up the scumble. I have been busy trying to get all the gardening done. We have half the veggie garden in and many of my flower beds are done.

Enjoy the day.

Pat

Bringer
05-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Hi,

Every week, Saatchi gallery has a vote on works.
This is my first time I'm running for it.
Here's the link to my work :
http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/showdown/index.php?showpic=24730
Thank you for taking a look.

Kind regards,

Josť

Pat Isaac
05-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the link, Jose and good luck.

Pat

CJMonty
05-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Good luck Jose (don't know where you get the accent from to put on your name) .

Hi everyone, at long last, over the weekend we had some amazing rain falls here in Perth, we haven't seen rain like it in a very long time, It would be great if we could get regular down pours like that throughout the whole of Autumn, Winter and Spring and then it may make a small improvement to our dams. The whole of Austrlia has a Water Crisis on at the moment, I don't think there is a single State without extremely strict restrictions on it's usage.

Only 2 weeks to go before we head off on our big 9 week holiday. For those of you who are interested, we are setting off from Perth and going First Class by train and taking the car and travelling to Adelaide (we were initially going to go by train to Sydney but as we have a 4WD it is too tall then to take through the Blue Mountains unless you wish to have a convertable at the other end) from Adelaide we will drive through to the Snowy Mountains where we will stay with friends for about a week and celebrate my 50th Birthday :clap::clap:. They are going to take me to the Canberra Zoo for a Big Cat Encounter so am looking forward to that. From there we will go down to Melbourne then take a few days to travel via The Great Ocean Road to Adelaide. We will prbably spend a night in Mt Gambier which is where Holly lives. We will spend a few days in Adelaide and celebrate with my Mum and Dad an Sister and a few friends before heading north to Kings Canyon where a friend of ours does Remote Area Health so we can stay with her for a few days and some exploring. From there to Alice Springs for a few days and more exploring before heading further north to Darwin where we will also spend some time. When we leave Darwin we will take a couple of days to travel down through Kakadu National Park down to Katherine where we also will spend a couple of days. From there we will head over to Kununurra and maybe spend a couple of days there then travel on over to the West Coast to Broome where we will spend a few days and go North up to Derby where we will visit Aletta, yet another WC member. From there we will meander down the coast back to Perth. We will be leaving on the 13th June and getting back here on 8th August. I don't have to be back at work until the 10th of September so how awesome is that. I am taking my watercolour pallete with me and a selection of Soft Pastels, whether any of them get used or not is yet to be seen but at least I'll have them if I want them.
We will be taking the laptop with us and hope to be able to get internet access from time to time, probably only in the major centres so hopefully will be able to keep in touch and send a pic or two to you all. I am going to keep a paper journal and will be e-mailing a family in New England, there are 7 kids who are all home schooled so I thought it would be something interesting for them to follow.www.notesfromthetrenches their mother is a great writer and seems to be an amazing Mum and has a fantastic sense of humour ( I guess that helps) . :lol:

Anyway I will say bye for now and let someone else join the scummble.

Take Care Everyone and have a great day.

Love CJ :heart::heart:

meowmeow
05-28-2007, 09:18 PM
That sounds like quite a trip, CJ! Enjoy yourself and we'll be here waiting for your report....and pictures...when you return!

Congrats, Jose! Good luck....I voted....hopefully it will help you out!

I was reading last week's scumble and wanted to give Kate and Bill some hugs! I'm glad your wife is faring well after her surgery, Bill. I hope she continues to do well.

I've been busy playing Nana up here in Maine. The kids have been sick off and on and then I get sick....it's kinda' nutty! But, such is life. Nothing serious, just a royal pain in the butt! It's made it tough to get much done but I can't really complain about spending time with the grandkids.

I keep hoping to have more time to paint and I'm sure it will happen. It's easy to get into a rut though. At least the weather has been more cooperative, although I have yet to get to paint outdoors. But it's still early in the Maine season...which is over before it begins! :D

I hope everyone has a good, productive week.

Sandy

Pat Isaac
05-29-2007, 08:07 AM
What an incredible trip, CJ. Looking forward to your updates and pics. Happy birthday too!! My sister alsways said that's when you become 1/2 an antique.:lol: :lol:
Nice to hear all is well with you, Sandy. Time with grandkids is precious. Are you still in a gallery up there in Maine?

Pat

meowmeow
05-29-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm in the gallery on Main St. in Biddeford. It hasn't been great but not bad. Biddeford did an art walk last month that was really nice so now they are doing it once a month. There are a couple of galleries and some other stores that are exhibiting artwork. They had a pretty good turnout for the walk. I was impressed!
Now there is a landscaping place up on Route One that is trying to change his business and sell other things. He came to our group a few weeks ago and asked if we would exhibit in his shop and he is letting us have an outdoor show in July. We ended up drawing names for people to show in the shop each month and I was an alternate. Then there turned out to be more space than we thought so I get to show in July. Should be interesting. I have no idea who it will go but it was a pretty good arrangement.
Then there are the outdoor shows. So I should be busy this summer...I better get painting! :D

Sandy

Pat Isaac
05-29-2007, 09:06 AM
Sounds like a lot of good opportunities for the summer, Sandy. Is the landscaping place in Scarborough? The one that Paul Parent has?

Pat

Lisa M
05-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi all,

I've been away for a few days and missed everyone. :)

CJ your trip sounds fantastic!! I love my horses and all my gardens but they do keep us from any extented trips like that. We try to go to Central America or Mex once a year, probably in August this year if my bf's house ever sells.

I had a wonderful 3-day visit to my friend's place in White River, on the edge of the Rosebud Reservation in western SD. There the range is WIDE OPEN, not much there but grassland, cattle, and lots and lots of horses. We got a tour from a local rancher of his many pastures filled with horses, and I saw many others and was able to take almost 300 pix. This area I think is about 2 hours west of where Chewie lives.

Yesterday I attended the Memorial Day service in my hometown where flags were raised and dedicated to my great aunt, a WWII vet who passed this last year, and for Terry, my dear lost brother in law who served in Iraq. It was a tough day, but good to see Terry's relatives who live in Nebraska.

This week I must get ready for summer online classes which start on Monday, and try to finish up the little boy painting that's been set aside for days now.

So I better get busy. Have a great week, all.

lisa

K Taylor-Green
05-29-2007, 10:15 PM
What a trip! Kansas is a beautiful state.

Thanks, Pat, for filling in, and it looks like everyone has a good start to the week.

CJ, Your trip sounds fantastic. Someday, someday.

Hi Sandy, I have frequent grandma duty, too! I love it. How else you going to watch them grow?
Your exhibit plans sound good, too. Good luck with that.

Lisa, I would love to explore that part of the country. Thats probably more doable than Australia!

We got in about 7 this morning, after driving all night. Can't believe we did that.
Jess didn't want to leave Harry in the crate and sometimes it is hard to find a dog friendly motel for a big dog!
We left the female in Kansas with our friends, Michaela and John Willes. They are going to breed her to their beautiful, fox red male, Tracker.
When we go back to get the pup we are buying from them, we will have a very pregnant Lady Di!
Our Whitney looks ready to pop! Her pups are due about June 5th.
Today we bought new kiddie pools for the Labs. They love them!
I took pics of the new dogs, and will post them when I get them downloaded.

Pat Isaac
05-30-2007, 08:20 AM
You trip sounds great, Lisa. We were in the Black Hills and the Badlands of SD Last June. Beautiful country. My husband wanted to stay there.

Pat

K Taylor-Green
05-30-2007, 12:40 PM
My new breeding male, Fredonia's Harry, a beautiful light yellow Lab.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2007/41107-HarryWglow.jpg

And Lady Di, our new female.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2007/41107-Lady_Di2.jpg

And Soliel's latest portrait. I can't believe she is 6 months old, now!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2007/41107-Soliels_new_collar3.jpg

meowmeow
05-30-2007, 01:19 PM
What beautiful beasties, Kate! Your pup is so sweet...and getting big!

Everyone is taking such interesting sounding trips...well....I suppose different landscape always sounds interesting!

We are going to a wedding in Chicago next weekend. In August we are gong to Pittsburgh for a Hindu wedding! Should be interesting. WE are also going with the kids to Acadia for a few days in August. believe it or not, we have never been! I am looking forward to that. Not sure I will get much painting done but at least I can take pictures...and maybe paint a bit.

I am not sure who owns the landscaping place, Pat...but I think his last name was something long and French sounding!

I have not been doing much painting but lately while we are watching the Red Sox games in the evening I try doing quick sketches of the players...it's hard because they won't stay still for me! :D But challenging and I think worthwhile...I get some nice quick sketches and it forces me to try to take things in quickly. SOmetimes when one player is gone too fast I just work over it with the next. They have such interesting positions...and excelelnt physiques~ :D

Sandy

Pat Isaac
05-30-2007, 01:43 PM
That certainly is great sketching practise, Sandy. We have been to Acadia a couple of times, absolutely beautiful.

Great looking dogs, Kate.

Pat

Lisa M
05-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Kate the dogs are gorgeous! My brother and his family just got a new lab pup--her name is Scarlet; I guess she was supposed to be a red lab but the arrangement was a "through a friend of a friend" kind of thing and the one they wanted was sold before they could get her. Anyway Scarlet is reddish-yellow. (Never knew there were so many lab colors!!) And really cute.

I took some photos of the ranch dog owned by the rancher who toured my friend and I around his place at White River, thinking I'd do a small painting to thank him, but the dog was squinting in the light (didn't want to sit anywhere but in the back of the pickup) and so the photos don't look nearly as good as yours Kate.

For the birders--you know I've been trying to attract some hummers. Well I haven't even gotten my feeder outside yet, but while in the garage yesterday afternoon, I saw one fly right in and investigate the red handle on the garage door top. I was quite surprised! It had dark feathers and a white breast.

I'm so happy for my mom today. It's her last day of work. I just talked to her and she said, "I'm unemployed for the first time in my life. I started ironing clothes for money when I was twelve, and now I don't have to milk any cows or go to work in town or do anything but spend time with the grandkids. And camp for a week if I want." Yippeeee for her. She deserves a long break. We're having a big retirement party for her tomorrow night at the lake where they're, of course, camping:D . She's 63 and still runs miles every day, takes EMT classes to stay certified and is always sewing and baking for others and doing things for the church and community. I'm so proud of her. She's my hero and champion.

Take care all--time to get some work done outside as I've more or less finished the little boy Ethan painting.

lisa

lacey sprocket
05-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Wow Lisa, you mom sounds pretty cool! Looks like everyone has been having time to play a bit! That's great. Pat, I'm gardening, too! Only it's in my window. I have a herb garden, some nassteriums, a mystery plant, echeveria, redwood seedling, and some other seeds that haven't come up yet.

We went camping with my friend Mike for Memorial day. His Birthday was the
26th, the day after my 7 year anniversary with my boyfriend, Josh. It was a blast, although Josh was the only one to catch any fish. A nice 16 inch trout!
He had to go to San Diego on business yeasterday, he won't be back until next week. Booo. At least I'll have time to get the house clean again. He is seriously the messiest person I've ever met. ;)
I made myself a pirate costume for my friend Crystal's pirate party. I even made a tricone hat! And I've been drawing, reading, hanging out with Lara, and watching all the movies Josh isn't that into.

K Taylor-Green
06-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Hi Lacey! Glad to see you here in the Scumble. It's nice to have a new face and new stories!

Gosh, it was too hot to clean kennels today, but I did it anyway! I took Harry for a walk. I don't want to let him run much off leash till he feels at home here. He has never been leash trained. Jess has his work cut out for him on this one! Leash training a 5 yr old versus a 3 month old? But he is smart and very eager to please. Jess says he'll be walking like a gentleman in 2 weeks.

Tomorrow evening we are taking Colin, my oldest grandson, to see Pirates of the Carribean 3 as a birthday outing. I can't wait to see it. I love these movies!

Lisa M
06-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Lacey--I could've written your post myself! The plants, messy boyfriend, missing him when he's gone, watching movies he doesn't get in to, fishing, and a great costume party!!. . . .

Stac (my bf) and I went to the latest Pirates movie--we have a great little theatre in a nearby small town, complete with the red carpet, real screen stage curtain and 70s-style gold deco, that sells $2 tickets on Tuesdays and weekend matinees. I think the last movie we saw in theatre was King Kong. Anyway I really liked the movie but for the fact that even at full volume my ears just don't catch all those weird pseudo-accents, and being a linguist I like to hear and analyze every word and phrase. But it was really funny and very creatively clever, some cool stuff not present in the first two. Kate, you'll enjoy it for sure!!

K Taylor-Green
06-01-2007, 04:02 PM
I have trouble with the volume, too. I think it is too loud, and drowns out the subtle stuff. I get more out of it when we buy the DVD!

lacey sprocket
06-01-2007, 08:31 PM
I loved the pirate movie, too! We saw it the night before Josh went out of town!

Okay, promise not to laugh?:o Here's a really bad blurry photo of me in my pirate costume. I'm such a nerd...
My bird was quite put off by the hat. Took a little convincing to asure him that it really was me under there! The party is next Saturday, yippie!

K Taylor-Green
06-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Too cool, Lacey!
Well, the movie was great!! Colin loved it and I loved it. They kind of leave you thinking there might be another one, who knows?

Pat Isaac
06-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Love it, Lacey....:lol: I agree about the volume too. Don't know why they do that..

Pat

lacey sprocket
06-02-2007, 01:25 PM
KT, I've heard that Johnny Depp (sigh) has said that he would be willing to do a 4th one. And if he does, I'll be there! I actually wanted to be a pirate when I grew up, and was pretty disapointed when I figured out that just wasn't going to happen. But that didn't stop me and my brother from hanging a sheet in our tree, and making treasure maps!

K Taylor-Green
06-03-2007, 10:10 AM
WE HAVE PUPPIES!! Ten of them!:eek: Whitney had her pups early this morning. There are 5 yellow, 4 blacks, and 1 chocolate. She has never had such a big litter. Last year, she had 7. Looks like she and I are going to be very busy!

Pat Isaac
06-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Wow, 10 puppies....you and she are going to be busy. You'll have to show pics soon.

Pat

Lisa M
06-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Great costume, Lacey! Got some rum in that goblet? :D

Congrats to Kate--how overwhelming!! No doubt they're really cute. You seem to be quite busy with all the dogs, horses, art and everything.

Mom's retirement party was great, but it was cool and rainy all weekend at the park (and the rest of the state I think). Now I'm home and back to work and the sun is back out. Figures!! I have 50 students in my online classes that begin tomorrow, officially. I will be spending lots of time at this computer--good thing I have WC for breaks!!

K Taylor-Green
06-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Lisa, All that keeps me from freezing up in my old age!:lol: My mom thinks we are crazy, but in a nice way. I say it's better than being stodgy!

It's a good thing that Jess is as crazy about animals as I am. That kind of thing can put strain on a relationship, if it is one sided.

We finally got rain, good rain, not just a spit in a windstorm. It is sooooooo needed, here! Course, we were right in the middle of putting the new roof on the kennel! I don't even care. It can be finished tomorrow evening.