PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Caran d'Ache brochure w/color chart and demos

AnnieA
05-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Caran d'Ache was recently mentioned in another thread as having a lot of dark neutrals, so I decided to investigate. I found a rather nice brochure on the Caran d'Ache website; it has a very clear color chart (it includes the pigments used in each pastel, as well as which ones are contained in the various sets), and also has some info and photos describing various techniques that can be used with OPs.

The brochure is available as a downloadable pdf on this page: http://www.carandache.ch/products/fineart/detail.lbl?g=Artist&p=Neopastel

The brochure shows a picture of the Caran d'Ache OP fixative, but doesn't offer any further info (is it matte or glossy?). The website doesn't offer any info either.

It does look like there are a few nice darks in the line (thanks, Lindsay).

Pat Isaac
05-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the link, Annie. I wandered around too looking at Caran D'ache after reading Lindsay's thread and ordered a few of the darks to try them out.

Pat

clockmaker
05-29-2007, 04:31 AM
I used to demonstrate product for Caran dache, the fixative is a new product that was not available when I did my demo's. Some of their water soluble products such as neocolour II can be used to develop an underpainting before using the oil pastel. They also do a large water soluble stick that provides some really intense colours although the range is limited. Also all their products are child safe, they say that you can eat them with no ill effects, not that I have tried them.
David

hopalong
05-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Annie, from my one little comment, you gave us all this!! I've been pouring over it this morning and want to try some new things. THanks.

Pat, I hope you like them. The Siepa is expeciallly great! Really rich dark dark brown.

Pat Isaac
05-29-2007, 09:27 AM
I hope to get the few I ordered this week and I did order the sepia!

Pat

AnnieA
05-29-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm glad the post was of use, Pat and Lindsay. And David - what a cool job (demonstrating OPs)!

I noticed a new technique in the brocure - using a template (a piece of thin cardboard cut to shape) by placing the OP on the template and then pushing it with a finger onto the painting in the desired spot. I hadn't ever seen that before, and plan to try it sometime. When I've used a template it's been a cut-out of the shape I want to put on the painting and I lay the OP down inside it, not on it. And I now plan to purchase a few Neopastels.

One other thing I noticed on the Caran d'Ache site, and just thought I'd mention: the "Gallery" of artwork using Caran d'Ache products doesn't include even one OP painting! So, David, do you use Caran d'Aches primarily? (Or anybody?) Maybe Caran d'Ache should be sent a few examples of OP paintings to be included in their gallery. You know, Bennerstrom works primarily in Caran d'Aches. I wonder if they'd be interested in showing her work... I'm just thinking OP artists should be featured too! :)

(BTW, if anyone else wants to view the Gallery, a click on the "Gallery" link will take you to a popup window (you'll have to disable your popup blocker if you have one) with a drawing of a woman looking at some paintings on a wall, but no further instructions. You have to click on one of the paintings in the drawing to see the Gallery. The page doesn't say what to do, so I just thought I'd let people know.)

clockmaker
05-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Annie, to answer your question, yes I work primarily in caran dache OP's although I use all of their products, one of the perks of demonstrating is being given a full set of all their products. This means that I have soft pastels, colour pencils, water and non soluble crayons, felt tips etc. plus products from other companies that I have demonstrated for.
David

hopalong
05-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Annie, I saw that card trick too!!! I remembered reading in a painting book how when you paint a tree, the temptation is to make the brush stroke go the long ways up and down the length. What works better is to use a side to side motion to create curve and roundness. With that card idea, I can do this on both the shadow side and light struck side too>!!! Very excited. So glad I'm with fellow op nerds. No one else can appreciate this stuff!!! Nor understand quite how happy this makes me. Thanks again Annie for your web wizardry.

sundiver
05-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the link!
After perusing the download I checked Jerry's and Blick and looked at their charts... not exactly the same. Hard to know which are the most accurate and then there's the monitor...
Not that it will stop me from buying them! :D
I have the 48 set and would like some from the big set. I like that at Jerrys you can get them in packs of ten because I have a few favorites that I use enough to warrant 10-packs.