PDA

View Full Version : Help!

crumbedbrains
05-26-2007, 06:20 AM
Hey everyone,
I'm hoping you guys can help me out. Due to Australia's relatively small population base I cannot get sheets of black stonehenge paper larger than the standard size (750mm x 550mm or about 30ins x 21ins) which is about the same as your standard Canson sheet. I understand you can buy it in rolls about 1.4m (5ft?) wide but they can't/won't even order it for me as a special order.

If someone in Australia knows where I can get some all the easier . . . but I guess I'm looking for someone overseas who can purchase it for me on my behalf and send it to me. I will pay all costs upfront.

The reason I need this paper (beside the fact that it is soooo nice to work on) is that I need it for an entry into a major art prize here in OZ (The Archibald Prize).

Can someone please help????
Cheers
Crumby

Netty
05-26-2007, 06:48 AM
Hey Crumby,

I have not seen it larger either, I am just about 2 hours drive south of you , so sorry I cannot help!!!! But I will ask next time I visit my local art store, which will be this week coming.

The Archibald art prize is a fantastic one, wow. best of luck with finding the paper, and all the best with your portrait!

Annie:)

Kathryn Wilson
05-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Crumby, I am going to move this over to Pastel Talk. You might get more action there than in the studio.

Let me check into Jerry's Artarama to see if they have rolls. If they do, I might be able to help as they are here in town.
-----------------------

hmmmm . . . they only stock white Stonehenge in rolls.

------------------------

I checked all the other supply stores that I have on my list and the only ones that carry larger sheets (no rolls) is Dick Blick and the larger sheets only come in white:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz104/23/

Bringer
05-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi,

Here's a link for a page of the paper's manufacturer :
http://www.foxriverpaper.com/fox/papers/art/papers

Maybe you can contact them and ask where's a dealer that stocks what you pretend.
Good luck !

Best regards,

Josť

crumbedbrains
05-28-2007, 04:55 AM
mmm . . not much help I'm afraid . .can't seem o find out what I want from the manufacturers page . . but thanks anyway. Getting a little desperate here as the subject of portrait for the Archibald has agreed to sit for me . . now I really need this paper . . help anyone!!??
Cheers
Crumby

Kathryn Wilson
05-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Crumby - I just sent them an email to see if they do actually sell the black in rolls. A good place to start - then we can find out if you can buy a roll directly from them.

meowmeow
05-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Here is a link to an article about Stonehenge Paper, including some online sources. If you find what you want and they won't ship it to you, let me know and I can look into shipping it...but the USPS shipping prices have recently gone up and this would clearly be an oversized item and probably be very expensive to send.
Anyhow, I hope you find what you need!

Sandy

BruceF
05-28-2007, 12:29 PM
There's been a change to the 'manufacturer' of Stonehenge. It's now being offered by Legion Paper according to:
http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2007/04/legion-paper-and-stonehenge.html

Here's Legion's page on Stonehenge:
http://www.legionpaper.com/Our-Collection/By-Brand/Stonehenge.htm

It looks like Black is only offered in the 20x30 sheets. They don't mention any rolls. But, in searching, I could only find sources for rolls of white, never black.

Kathryn Wilson
05-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Crumby - what size do you ultimately need? How big?

Donna A
05-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Having done most of my early pastel works on etching papers---and that was forever ago---I only vaguelyl remember the responsiveness of Stonehenge to pastels (and never black) but I'm wondering, with the time limits creeping up on you---if you might need to resort to an alternative at this point. I'm wondering if the Art Spectrum Primer in Black might save the day---rolled on to a rag paper the size you need and then sanded down to give you an inviting surface without as much of the sanded surface. The richness of the black primer is great---and I've loved the effect of the sanded Colourfix whether on the 'store-bought' paper or the primer applied to the surface of my choice----along with the 'regular' sanded surface. Just a thought. Having just scrambled to get finishing touches done and new pieces framed for a show where I delivered over a dozen and a half works today---I soooo appreciate your sense of time limits!!! :-) ARgh!!! I hope you find just what you need asap!!! I know it is frustrating!!!

ps---While AU is the "Land of Oz"---Kansas is called the "Land of Ahhhhs." :-) From photos and paintings I've seen----we are both lucky to live in beautiful places!!! Very, very best wishes! Donna ;-}

Kathryn Wilson
05-30-2007, 12:54 AM
For that matter, I found Somerset Black Velvet even better to paint on than Stonehenge - it does have a softer surface. I do understand the need for a paper that will yield your fantastically realistic paintings.

I also heard from Fox River that this company now owns and produces Stonehenge paper. It's worth a call to find out if they will sell a roll directly to you. Hopefully their paper making process produces rolls of the paper.

Legion Paper – New York, NY 800-278-4478

Legion Paper – Los Angeles, CA 800-727-3716

Katherine T
05-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Legion Paper is now the owner and wholesale distributor of Stonehenge - but it doesn't retail except through its factory shop which seems to focus on its non fine art paper brands.

I had a lengthy correspondence with Mark Schotland, the Marketing VP, and personnel at Legion in relation to the changes to Stonehenge supply (and they are all extremely helpful. Contact them direct if you can't find the answer to any queries you may have about what gets produced and distributed to where.

This is the later blog post on Making A Mark which sets out the current situation
http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2007/04/legion-paper-acquires-rising-and.html

Suppliers are listed at the end of this blog post
http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2007/04/legion-paper-and-stonehenge.html

Speaking personally, I've never come across anybody using Stonehenge for pastels.

lindamulder
05-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Speaking personally, I've never come across anybody using Stonehenge for pastels.

I do.

crumbedbrains
06-02-2007, 06:16 AM
I do!! LOL . . personally, and it's only my humble opinion . . it's THE paper for pastels . . just the perfect amount of tooth . . but that's because it just happens to suit my style of painting and technique :)
Cheers
Crumby

crumbedbrains
06-02-2007, 06:17 AM
By the way everyone . .thanks for your help . .I've emailed the VP at Legion and he tells me that they do not make black stonehenge in anything other than the standard size sheets.
Hunt is over :(
Crumby

Andrewcody
06-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Hey Crumble
Have you tried Eckersleys?

Here is the website for Brisbane
I have bought large rolls of canson from them in the past.
They can order in just about anything

http://www.eckersleys.com.au/location.aspx?location=14