PDA

View Full Version : Tip for Auctions

CarlyHardy
05-07-2002, 07:49 PM
When your auction has about one day left...and you've not gotten a bid...try revising and extending to the 10 day auction. This will add a dime to your listing fee, but will give you 3 extra days for those folks who have been surfing another chance to see your art.

For those who were waiting for that last minute to just bid once and grab the painting....it means they will have to bid or wait another three days to see if anyone else is going to bid. I've found that I've gotten bids before that last day because someone decided they better bid before it gets extended!

Bidding has been very slow on auctions for the past month...especially for artists. Many of the groups I belong to are reporting less views, slow bidding and low sales.....so if you're feeling like it's just you....don't! We are all experiencing this same slow down.

carly

pampe
05-07-2002, 09:45 PM
*phew*

thought it was just me....I finally sold one yesterday after about a 3 week drought!

Thanks, Carly...good tips and great thread.

Pam

kjsspot
05-07-2002, 11:26 PM
Carly! What a GREAT idea!! Just be sure to get it done while revisions are still allowed. I'll have to check this again. Is the cut off 12 or 24 hours before the end?

:::off to check...

kjsspot
05-07-2002, 11:29 PM
hee hee That smiley snuck in there. LoL But it still works because it should have been an 'O' and it is still round like an 'O' hee hee Tis cute.

arlene
05-08-2002, 01:47 AM
I like that idea alot carly...gonna consider doing it from now on...a dime is certainly better than relisting for quite a few dollars more.

CarlyHardy
05-08-2002, 11:15 AM
After the ten days, you can still relist if there is no sale, and your listing fee will be refunded if it sells the second time around. Extra fees, like the .10 and .25 gallery fees are not refunded.

But do not relist for a third time....the fee is only refunded on the first relist! Start a new auction if you list a third time!

The cut-off for revising an auction is 12 hours.
carly

Shai
05-08-2002, 10:37 PM
I actually thought about applying this idea in my last auction (I just started with eBay last week with 2 paintings). Unfortunately, I didn't do it. :(

At least, one of my paintings got a bid (and got paid for already; Yay!)... I re-listed the other one for 7 days. I'll probably extend it for the 10-day auction if it still doesn't get a bid. I'll take your advise and not re-list it for the third time if there are still no takers. Thanks!

BTW, do you re-list your auction immediately or do you wait awhile?

Paintbrush74
05-10-2002, 06:57 PM
That's a great idea about extending the auction. It seems so obvious, yet I've never done it. I have an oil hibiscus (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=867593431) that has no bids yet. I think I'll go over there now and extend it.

Now, if we could just brainstorm a few ideas for getting more viewers.

Sumafra
05-10-2002, 10:52 PM
Now, if we could just brainstorm a few ideas for getting more viewers.

Never mind more viewers, how about more bidders??

Shai
05-10-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Sumafra

LOL! I agree! :D

CarlyHardy
05-11-2002, 12:24 AM
Do I relist immediately or wait awhile?

yes...I do both...it depends on the painting and how many viewers it got. If I had a lot of viewers and no bids...I might wait awhile before relisting....but if there were just a few viewers...I'll relist it immediately.

carly

Shai
05-11-2002, 05:05 AM
Thanks, Carly. I'll take note of that.

Hmmm... since I'm at it already, what would you consider "lots of viewers" or "few viewers"? Do you have a definite number to base it on? Again, thanks for the tips!

Paintbrush74
05-11-2002, 01:57 PM

Ah yes, so true, but before they can bid, they have to see it. I haven't been having a very high visitor count--only about 35 or so lately. Maybe I'm just not well-known enough yet.

Sumafra
05-11-2002, 06:15 PM
My visitor count lately is around 40 to 60, sometimes a bit more, sometimes less. Things are pretty slow.