PDA

View Full Version : Horses WIP

Alachua Artist
05-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Here is a new piece I'm working in gouache on rice paper. I've washed the back with primary blue, as this brings out the rice fibers nicely. Now, working the horses, the fibers become part of their skin and hair texture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2007/21231-horses.jpg

12" x 18" Windsor & Newton designer gouache
Pearl art supply opened a new store from their old location - full of artist candy!! :p

Old Tex
05-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Cool stuff, Wendy. It'll be interesting to watch this develop.

Sonia
05-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Looking forward to seeing your progress on this Wendy. As I've said before, fascinating technique.

marybe
05-26-2007, 07:00 PM
The texture of the paper showing up adds so much to your already lovely composition.

Alachua Artist
05-26-2007, 10:08 PM
working the black horse, I'm pleased with the compostion. I'm not certain, but think more color (yellow?) should be added to the red sun to give it more interest. Any suggestions?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2007/21231-horses2.jpg

next, I'll be working to redefine the lines and background.
Thanks for your input.

Old Tex
05-29-2007, 01:16 PM
I've gotten pretty far behind here, so you've probably already gone a lot farther. Re: the red sun, it's very red on my monitor here at work, and looks fine. A little more yellow might work. Depends on what you're after, I guess.

Alachua Artist
05-29-2007, 02:49 PM
the red sun, it's very red...
yes, Old Tex,it is a really solid RED. I had hoped some of the fibers would come through, but the pigment is really strong. Adding some yellow here and there will give it some variation and not look so flat.

meglyman
05-30-2007, 09:52 AM
I love the look of the rice paper, especially how it shows through the white horse.

I've found that reds are generally very staining pigments; has anyone else had that experience?

Meg

Alachua Artist
05-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks Meg!

I've found that reds are generally very staining pigments; has anyone else had that experience?
and yes, most of the reds I've used tend to stain quite strongly. I have to be careful in washing the backside of paintings with red - it will alter any subsequent work done on the front. And that can cause some bad words to be uttered.

pinkrybns
06-05-2007, 03:38 AM
So, did you add more yellow to the red?
As it is, I don't think it needs it, but that's just my opinion. In the image, the red sun is behind the horses, yellow might tend to bring it forward if that's what you want.

Judy

Alachua Artist
06-05-2007, 09:59 PM
ok - added some yellow to the sun, and started working the background color.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2007/21231-horses3.jpg

this is getting close to completion.

Old Tex
06-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Lookin' good!

take2
06-06-2007, 10:19 PM
I was really loving the texture showing from the blue background in the first post....very clever idea! But some how ur latest wip with all them colors added to the background looks a little busy to me....just my opinion...

Alachua Artist
06-07-2007, 08:56 PM
I was really loving the texture showing from the blue background in the first post....
The fibers are still visible, as they are an important element in my paintings. Here is a close up:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2007/21231-horses-detail.jpg

meglyman
06-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Wendy,

Looks great! Thanks for the close-up - gives me some insights. I love the brushstrokes in the sun!

Meg

pinkrybns
06-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Ditto what Meg said! Looks great Wendy.

Question: You may have answered this before, forgive me if you have, but what is the gold you're using for the outlines? Do you put that in at the last? Nice extra sparkle!

Judy

maggie latham
06-09-2007, 06:59 PM
:wave:
Hello Wendy,

This is really lovely! Do you remember Visual Systems when it used to be downtown in DC? That was some years ago, but I used to spend all my spare pennies there!

Maggie

:cat:

Alachua Artist
06-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Question: but what is the gold you're using for the outlines? Do you put that in at the last? Nice extra sparkle!
Hi Judy;
Thanks! The gold is actually gold gouache by Windsor Newton. It defines the painting, representing the barriers we have or put in our lives.

and hi to you, too, Maggie;
I don't remember Visual Systems, but definitely understand where our $$ goes! Most of mine goes to Pearl Art Supply over in Bailey Crossroads! :lol: