PDA

View Full Version : paint drop cloth

wanderfast
09-04-2000, 09:16 PM
Anyone ever used a canvas painters drop cloth to do a painting on?

CarlyHardy
09-05-2000, 10:58 PM
Some of my old drop cloths look a lot like abstracts although I didn't actually plan a painting on them...lol. These are heavy duty duck, tightly woven and practically indestructable! They would make great canvas for paintings if gessoed.

The newer dropcloths are not as heavy weight (they are loosely woven) and some are synthetic blends...I don't think I'd use them for a painting.
carly

msue
09-07-2000, 11:39 PM
Go for it wanderfast. The 4' x 4' floorcloth pictured in this forum was done on bright pink denim I bought on sale at Wal-Mart. So a heavy duty canvas drop cloth should work.

[This message has been edited by msue (edited September 07, 2000).]

Lady Artist
09-14-2000, 11:07 PM
Gee, why not! You could paint on burlap, expensive linen, muslin, silk -- anything! Good idea to seal it lst though.
Just like other painting bases: wood, masonite, glass, paper, on baskets, anything!

Go for it! Ditto!

sassybird
09-24-2000, 04:08 PM
LOL Msue! Don't you just love WalMart! I get a lot of material out of their end bin.

Wanderfast, I don't see why you couldn't paint on drop cloth. However, as Msue pointed out, WalMart is a wonderful place to buy material at a very reasonable price to practice on. I have painted on chifon and all kinds of things I have picked up there. Drop cloths of any quality can be expensive, sometimes more so that what you can get a decent cotton canvas for at WalMart.

I don't know where in the states you are located, but WalMart has really expanded. I got to know them in Texas and found them in Idaho where I now live. They are also in California and Oregon, and I have heard of them as far away as Florida. Give them a try if you haven't already.

------------------
sass