PDA

View Full Version : My second painting

donsha
05-07-2002, 04:59 PM
I completed this painting last night and liked what I had done...but I think there is something missing....I hope you like this one.
:confused:

kimmikat
05-07-2002, 05:09 PM
Sharon, this scene is lovely, but I am not sure if this is small ponds close to each other or a river. If a river, you may want to open up the logs a bit to give the river more flow, you have two spots where the river looks dammed (hope that spelling is right) and the water kind of sits still, open it up and it will give more feeling of movement I think

Maybe someone more experienced will come along and give better advice quickly .. lol

Aside from that though, I love this piece, the rest of it really does feel good :clap: :clap:

donsha
05-07-2002, 05:19 PM
hmmmm yes I was thinking more about this, this morning, and thought I might have the water cascading from the back pond to the middle then down past the log on the front small river??

Matttscott
05-07-2002, 05:32 PM
This is very good. For your second painting, this is excellent! It is an interesting composition and has a lovely mood.

:clap:

I think that perhaps it needs a light source. I don't necessarily mean paint in a sun. Instead, you could just add some highlights, reflections, & shadows to give the viewer a sense of where the light is coming from. That would also give you a reason to add some contrasting/complementary colors to the composition. Right now there is so much green, blue, and grey that it all can tend to blur together.

Hope this helps. :D

--Matt :cool:

KarenU
05-07-2002, 07:27 PM
Sharon.....this is terrific! The composition is wonderful, it pulls my eye through the whole painting. I agree with you that it would look nice if you had the water cascading from one water area into the next over the rocks, logs, etc. I also agree with Matt's suggestions about adding a light source and highlights. All in all though, this is fabulous for your second painting! Keep up the great work!

mf.sutton
05-08-2002, 05:33 AM
great second painting, excellent depth, I think the suggestions re cascading water and a more defined light source would help but that doesnt stop this being a very good painting - Mike:clap: :clap:

ThinkSeeDraw
05-08-2002, 10:03 AM
throw some highlights, whisps of light green grass, crispy branches, white waves, clouds in the sky. It's very muted right now

Paul J.S., FCM
05-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Matt Scott is right about the light. Try just raising the value of the foreground in front of the highly detailed trees. (Why do they look more detailed? Because they have the greatest range of values in the whole picture.)
Then you might add details to the water and the edge of the water.
To get a sense of what I'm referring to, try squinting at the piece, or looking through dark sunglasses. The foreground looks flatter than the trees, because it's mostly one value.