PDA

View Full Version : Apples and a Clay Pot.

chaz
05-23-2007, 12:17 PM
haven't posted here in a while. Been very active in the D/S forums tho. I've painted this image in acrylic last year and decided to give it a try in Digital. And I'm not sure it should be in this sub-forum either because of the way I did it.

I did it in the classic Flemish style of oil painting in using PSP9. By that I mean I first painted a monochrome underpainting in greyscale then applied color, in thin transparent layers, letting the underpainting peak through. Each object consists of many transparent layers merged in one final image. then all layers including the underpainting were merged into one.

The reason I was unsure if I should post in this sub-forum is because of the restriction of doing paint overs. I'm not certain if an underpainting would be considered a paint over. Anyway here it is.

Thanks for looking.

Chuck

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2007/55994-digitalapplesin_pot9wc.jpg

justjean
05-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Great painting on a lovely image Chuck :thumbsup:

LadyAlba
05-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Great painting Chuck and by Paintover what is meant is to take a photograph and paint over the top of it which would make it a photomanipulation. Underpaintings are fine and actually add alot of deapth to a painting. :thumbsup: :wave:

GeoBen
05-23-2007, 09:46 PM
this is very fine, to my eye. and I appreciate the details on technique. i have been experimenting with underpainting, but I don't think I have quite got the idea yet. this will help me a lot.

geo.

Andrewcody
05-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Sorry to add a critical eye, but there is a problem with the fall of light.
Unless you had a spotlight behind your left ear while painting?

Wassie
05-24-2007, 03:29 AM
Sorry to add a critical eye, but there is a problem with the fall of light.
Unless you had a spotlight behind your left ear while painting?

Okay, please explain. I'm trying to learn, too, from critiques of others' works.

TxAggieDarlin
05-24-2007, 11:23 AM
I think he is saying that the front apple might need to be toned down a little? I painted this one at one time, but I don't remember what the original looked like. I think the light source is coming from the left?

LavenderFrost
05-24-2007, 01:05 PM
It has a nice depth. I never would have thought of using the Flemish technique digitally.

chaz
05-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks Jean, Lady Alba, Geo, Wassie, Aggie, LavenderFrost for you comments and looking. Also thank all of you who took a look. And, Andrewcody, you're right, that apple is a tad bright, but what do you expect from someone who"s not bright. Maybe Ill fix it, then again maybe not.:lol:

Thanks all of you again.

Chuck

Annie*M
05-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Hi Chuck. I think your painting is wonderful.:thumbsup: