PDA

View Full Version : paper

kelly
06-26-2000, 09:59 AM
I have been painting on paper lately and wondered if anyone has had luck with a particular sort of paper? I understand Archs cold pressed is pretty good.

ReNae
06-26-2000, 10:55 AM
kelly - I'm using Strathmore 140 lb. cold pressed right now 'cuz they had it on sale at the store. I like the smooth surface, but I am awaiting new paper...Fabriano Uno 300 lb. cold pressed...will let you know...expecting it to come in 1st week of July.

Are u doing watercolors or are u using it for acrylic paintings??????

Warmth,
ReNae

kelly
06-26-2000, 11:43 AM
Interestingly enough, I used the strathmore 140lb stuff last week. Did the whole 14? sheets. I have used watercolor with acrylic, with india ink and a bit of pastels. Im thinking, if I go for the heavy stuff, 300lb or so, im gonna try oil. Incidentally, I gesso all the paper first.

arcitect
07-09-2000, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by kelly:
Interestingly enough, I used the strathmore 140lb stuff last week. Did the whole 14? sheets. I have used watercolor with acrylic, with india ink and a bit of pastels. Im thinking, if I go for the heavy stuff, 300lb or so, im gonna try oil. Incidentally, I gesso all the paper first.

CM Fabriano is REAL nice. I despise d'Arches and find it to be highly over-rated. Lana is nice, but creates a very unusual surface tension -w/c and ink like to float in film over it- hard to explain.

Well sealed paper, especially 300# or heavier, is extremely suitable for oil painting, but it can be hard to convince people. I have heard it argued, to my highly skeptical satisfaction, that it MAY be more stable than the traditional stretched canvas supports.

It is all a matter of where you think your damage is going to come from.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

wanderfast
07-12-2000, 05:53 PM
What is the best way to display a painting on paper? Should it be matted and hung like a photograph?

arcitect
07-13-2000, 05:18 AM
Depends on the media.

Pastel, charcoal, graphite, and water color usually require heavy-duty matting. The objective is to keep the image surface away from the glass or plexi-glass. Glass tends to trap moisture which facilitates transference (the image peels off and sticks to the glass), while plexi builds up a static electric charge which will pull graphite, pastel, and the like, off the image and cause it to stick to the plexi (much like transference but technically different).

Oils or acrlyics on paper can be framed like canvas (with no galss or plexi), which is how I do it.

One of my favorite ways of displaying works on paper is to pin it on the wall with T-pins, screw slats of wood to the wall, and affix glass or plexi to the wood strips. It looks REAL slick!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

kelly
07-13-2000, 09:36 AM
Just trying to follow you on this Arc...Pin paper directly to wall using T-pins(is this a pin like a needle?) and attach slats to wall and apply glass over slats which is also over the paper?

arcitect
07-14-2000, 05:39 AM
I may have to crack open Illustrator and draw a blow-up diagram, but here goes another try...

Pin the image directly to the wall with T-pins (which are relatively heavy pins shaped like the letter "T" available wherever sewing supplies are sold).

Now, you place a strip of wood above and beneath the image - using brads or screws to attach the boards to the wall. Ideally, these boards have grooves to hold a sheet of glass or plexi, but glazier's points alone can do the trick if they must. Paint them with the same paint the gallery uses to paint the walls.

Now you have paper hung on a wall (the t-pins being barely visible), with an unobtrusive "sneeze-guard" of sorts. This looks really nice for works on paper which have retained their deckle edges.

pixelscapes
07-14-2000, 09:56 AM
Arc, if you're suggesting your pin-to-wall approach as a long term display solution... allow me to suggest that you put something between the paper and the wall. Say, a piece of polyproylene film cut to size. That way the paper will be protected from the wall (I mean... who KNOWS what funky chemical compositions some random wall might be emitting! Besides, if you have some weird change in humidity or heat, I could see the paper sticking to a latex-painted wall. Ick.

I only mention polypropylene (or maybe mylar?) because at least in some cases I've seen it referred to as "archivally safe". I don't know if it REALLY is, or if all versions thereof are safe... but I would trust it more than a wall!

-=- Jen "Paranoid" Pixelscapes

kelly
07-16-2000, 10:01 AM
Arc, being how you are a technological wonderboy, how bout cracking open that illustrator? It would eliminate all vagueries and be solid entertainment for yourself.

K

carly
07-16-2000, 08:59 PM
How about just posting a picture of a painting hung on the wall in this manner. I can see how it would work but I don't know how it would look.
Thanks, carly

sassybird
08-01-2000, 05:30 PM
With anything under 16x20 I like to mount with photographic corners on 4 ply museum board and then frame using plexi instead of glass. All shows and galleries I have dealt with will not take anything framed in glass for insurance reasons.

arcitect
08-03-2000, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by kelly:
Arc, being how you are a technological wonderboy, how bout cracking open that illustrator? It would eliminate all vagueries and be solid entertainment for yourself.

K

Hold on a sec...

<HR>

[quote]
How about just posting a picture of a painting hung on the wall in this manner. I can see how it would work but I don't know how it would look.

I don't have a picture handy, but the beauty lies in that it does not really look like anything, which is sort of the point.

arcitect
08-03-2000, 10:24 AM
<TABLE>

<TR><TD>This should give you the gist of it...</TD></TR>

<TR><TD align="center">http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/noframeframe.gif</TD></TR>

</TABLE>

CkA
08-03-2000, 03:56 PM
looks like the spit shield at the salad bar...

cindy

arcitect
08-03-2000, 04:33 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Lady Artist
09-14-2000, 11:16 PM
New poster here enjoying the banter! :-)