PDA

View Full Version : Rooster Two WIP

annj
05-19-2007, 02:16 AM
Hi all

I've been a BAAAAD girl. I entered a painting into a show that I hadn't even started on yet! Very naughty.

Some of you might remember the rooster I did a couple of weeks ago. At the time I thought I might like to do a second rooster as a pair to him, then there was a pairs category in this art show, and I thought, heck, why not? I've never done a pair of paintings before (cept for some commissions). After all, there's just the measly matters of actually DOING the painting and getting them both framed in time LOL

So I started the second rooster last night. Thanks to lisilk for her lovely photo of this white rooster, my regal friend will soon have a partner, or more likely a rival. :-)

C&Cs welcome of course.

annj
05-19-2007, 02:23 AM
oops, here's the reference piccy - I always forget that!

PatrickHedges
05-19-2007, 03:55 AM
I love your confidence - entering before doing the work lol. You can certainly manage it if anyone can. I like it - a lot

annj
05-19-2007, 05:30 AM
Confidence.... or stupidity? <g>

Art_at_43
05-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Wow This is good! I really like your colours
Cindy

Firehorse
05-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Ooo, I love roosters! It's looking great Ann. And you sure are gutsy for entering it before it was done! But you do great stuff so I'm sure you'll do well. Good luck!

tanianault
05-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Ann, great job - very daring - I think I would have crumpled under the pressure! I like the play of warm and cool, and the attitude you've captured in the way his head sits.

- Tania

annj
05-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Thanks guys. I'm not liking this rooster as much as the first, and I'm struggling with having to work him in the same style as the first one. I chose the task and it's good for me, dang it! But I'm still struggling a bit with the confines of it (what a wuss).

Since the other day I've beefed up the sky a bit (and found a hole at the top in the photo), defined the comb and wattle area a bit more - still needs highlights there. And started working down the neck putting in feathers.

I started to define the grass behind him more than it is now - actually drawing grass, then realised he was supposed to be one of a pair, and took the treatment of the background back to more like the other one. So it's less spontaneous, but more matching. I want this guy to be "similar but not the same" as the first rooster.

Getting back to work now - if I am a good girl and finish him today, I'm going to reward myself with doing one for myself, from a reference I really love by Patrick - thanks Patrick!

annj
05-20-2007, 02:07 AM
Nearly done I hope...

QUESTIONS:
1. Should I fade off the white rooster towards the bottom of the page? The first rooster is more "lost and found" in that area, and I'm not sure if it bothers me that the second rooster isn't.
2. Does the orange splodge on the bottom left area of the second rooster need to go?
3. When framing, do you suggest using the same mountboards or not?
4. Anything else that bangs you in the eye, please mention! :-)

Thanks for looking, and of course C&Cs are most welcome!

annj
05-20-2007, 02:11 AM
hmmm, pic didn't attach to last post... here tis this time, hopefully!

PatrickHedges
05-20-2007, 03:40 AM
My own answers, and only mine - others may differ vastly

1. Should I fade off the white rooster towards the bottom of the page? The first rooster is more "lost and found" in that area, and I'm not sure if it bothers me that the second rooster isn't.
No. I like the lost and found but this one suits what you've done. If you go lost and found, you'll alter what it is, a white rooster.

2. Does the orange splodge on the bottom left area of the second rooster need to go?
No. Nowt wrong with that. It adds to it.

3. When framing, do you suggest using the same mountboards or not?
IMO yes. You have enough colours in the background to make the two work together.

4. Anything else that bangs you in the eye, please mention! :-)

No. Not sure what you don't like about the second one. It could be the fact that the first has that gorgeous bronze / gold on its neck whereas the white is simply - well - white.
I personally think you've treated the second one well, but there's no denying the first one is simply a more handsome beast and that's hard to overcome.

Thanks for putting them together in that image. I think they work

jody007
05-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Oh yes I think they work very well together. I just love them.
Jody

bjcpaints
05-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Both are wonderful! The Unusual format/crop gives their faces more of the focus and they are expressive!

tanianault
05-20-2007, 12:55 PM
What an excellent exercise! I love it when artists work within a confined set of requirements and create wonderfully creative work.

I really like what you've done with this and 1.) I think the "lost and found" bit is because of that rooster's colours, I don't think it would help the white rooster to do that to him; 2.) I don't think the orange bit sticks out when you're looking at that work as a whole; 3.) I would use the same matte board and framing; and 4.) the only thing that bangs my eye is how good they look together.

- Tania

Dave Slaughter
05-20-2007, 02:47 PM
They look great to me. Excellent work.

ARTMUTT
05-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Both look great together--good luck with the show!!

annj
05-21-2007, 01:15 AM
Thanks everyone for all your encouragement and assistance! I'll let you know how they go - show is in mid-June.