PDA

View Full Version : Encaustic, anyone?

Shriner
07-10-2000, 03:04 PM
Does anyone on this forum use encaustic?

arcitect
07-12-2000, 06:01 AM
Not yet, but I am scrounging under the sofa cushions to get some a.s.a.p.. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

Shriner
07-13-2000, 05:05 PM
hey cool - keep me informed, then. e-mail me if you wish. I'd love to share knowledge. I am only playing right now, but plan on a few bigger pieces in the next year

grannyb
07-13-2000, 09:40 PM
Hi Shriner,I have painted in Encaustic for the past ten years or so. I am actually doing more watercolors just at the momentbut have a couple of full sheet encaustics on the go too.
I make my own encaustic waxes with pure beeswax and pigments ....some turn out better than others depending on the pigments.I usually use a clay coated paper but also use painted board....It needs to be a gloss paint to get the wax to slide ,I have also tried painting on linen ..it gives a nice look but the colors were a bit duller.
There are some here on my webpage.
http://pages.about.com/suebateson/index.html

Shriner
07-14-2000, 12:19 AM
GrannyB: (ha! what a nick-name!)

Mix your own? nice. I have some recipes, but haven't made my own yet. What surfaces do you *prefer* to paint on? It sounds like you have experimented several seurfaces

rapolina
07-14-2000, 04:13 AM
sorry for my ignorance, but what is encaustic?
thank you, http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif rapolina

arcitect
07-14-2000, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by rapolina:
sorry for my ignorance, but what is encaustic?
thank you, http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif rapolina

Pretty much just painting with pigment laden hot wax. It is some wonderful stuff.

Shriner
07-15-2000, 10:37 PM
yep - the ol' techniques of the Greeks and Egyptians. It lives through shifts in popularity now and then (especially since Jasper Johns gave it a go)

Rod
07-16-2000, 01:59 AM
Neat, do you add the pigment to the hot wax as you go,or do you have a heated palette.
Never seen this technique before,
Rod

------------------
Watercolours from New Zealand (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/rod/)

arcitect
07-16-2000, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Rod:
Neat, do you add the pigment to the hot wax as you go,or do you have a heated palette.

Normally you would mix the pigment in heated wax and store it pots. The pots can kept on a hotplate or in a special holder to keep them fluid.

Some people use heated metal brushes, while others prefer plain bristle brushes. Encaustic allows one to get a very textured surface, or a perfectly flat finish -as you like it. It has a very distinct look to it and it is quite an attractive medium.

Rod
07-16-2000, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the details, does sound fasinating, future project perhaps,
Rod

------------------
Watercolours from New Zealand (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/rod/)

kayemme
07-16-2000, 03:54 PM
i can't wait to start working in encaustics.

i like the fact it's addictive/subtractive, so you can "sculpt" with it also. it's much more to my liking than most other mediums because it's so versitile.

it's a bit spendy, though to get started, so i've gotta wait for a bit, and hone the rest of my skills.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
km (http://kmarion.artistnation.com)

ReNae
07-16-2000, 08:58 PM
I have seen where they use a heat gun and kinda splatter it onto the paper....it was very vivid bright colors too...it does have a unique look to it...but my question, to those who have used it, would it be best to use the heated brush?? or a heat gun?? I was planning on trying this when we finish the side porch this fall.

Warmth,

ReNae

Shriner
07-16-2000, 09:02 PM
Yep - dats the stuff.

I am doing each of the things mentioned above. I am using encaustic on sculptures, I am painting with heated metal bristle brushes, etc...

I am new at it though, so I don't have enough experience with it yet to be brave enough to do a large "finished" piece exclusively with encaustic

Strangeone
09-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Hey! I'm really enjoying encaustic, having done mostly commercial art and graphite portraits most of my art life. It's a very freeing medium if you can get past all the "stuff" that goes into physically making the art. I'm making my own paint at the moment. I do all the ventilation and protective stuff to keep from breathing or contacting the dust when I'm making paint. My studio now has lots of power strips for hot plates, heat guns and crock pots. I love the carving into and scraping back layers to uncover an interesting texture. The colors are wonderful and I love the translucency of the medium. There are a few encaustic threads on this site. Enjoy!

Treese
10-02-2005, 03:54 PM
I'd like you to see my work....but, do I send it to you orWet site?

Pars
10-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Hello, Treese,

it would be a pleasure to see your work here at Wet Canvas. Do you need help posting or are you offering to send it to folks here that asked?

Printmakerguy
10-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Does anyone on this forum use encaustic?

I have recently started using Encuastics- And I am hooked.

I use encaustic in a somewhat different manner than most encaustic artists that I have run across- The biggest thing that attracts me to it is the translucency, which I try to exploit to the fullest in my work. You can see some of my work on these threads-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286005

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289504

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289623

I will have more of my work on my website soon... Hopefully...

I shared some 'technical' info that I have come up with on This Thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295851)

I, too would like to see your work!

-Andrew

bearglass
10-11-2005, 11:02 AM
I tried encaustics when I was on vacation and am hooked also!!!! Doews anyone know of a class in Northern California. More specifically anywhere between Carmel/Big Sur to Santa Cruz????

chinchilla
10-14-2005, 06:50 PM
hey andrew - i love your enaustic pieces!!!! i can only imagine
how beautiful they look in person!!!

and good luck bearglass! i'm in los angeles and i can't find a thing here!!!
no pigmented wax, no classes. ugh.

chinchilla
10-14-2005, 06:52 PM
i am still looking though :)
if i hear of anything your way, i'll post it:)

chinchilla
10-16-2005, 02:50 AM
so bearglass - check out sinopia.com
they're in san fran and they might have a class coming up in the near future -
hope that helps

chinchilla
10-16-2005, 02:55 AM
i'm having trouble posting and sending a pm - i can't.
can only do quick reply otherwise i'd have a hyperlink for sinopia, sorry

Bette Lietz
10-18-2005, 12:24 PM
There book called "ARTEFFECTS" by Jean Drysdale Green that has a chapter on oils and encaustic. It was first published by Watson-Guptill in1993.ISBN 0-8230-2529-2.

bearglass
10-21-2005, 11:04 AM
I will check out that site. I just got the book by Joanne Matterra on Encaustics. It covers everything from A-Z! I have a friend back east that told me about it. Have you seen it? :cat:

Pars
10-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi Bette Lietz and Bearglass,

Both great books to own. We should have a thread just for book recommendations. A resource for us all!

Mattera's book on encaustics sure packs well. And Arteffects has so many techniques to explore.

bearglass
10-21-2005, 11:13 AM
Also, Pearl Art is down your way.They are having a sale starting the 26th of October.Both in house & for on-line orders.Call them for a coupon. They carry RS Paints. It is a pure pigment for encaustics. RS also fabricates a complete encaustic line. Right down to the damar. In New York (where they are based) they have EXTENSIVE workshops! Maybe I will have to make an excuse to go back east to take one if the place in San Francisco does not have. Anyway... check it out.

bearglass
10-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Sorry, It is RF Paints. Not RS. I Typoed!!!LOL

Pars
10-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Thanks, Bearglass. I snuck away from work yesterday and went to Pearl. For me it is an Island unto itself (Canal Street is a buzz of wild bees) and bought a few things. They gave me two chance tickets for the show (so you know I'm going. Winner gets USD250 worth of free supplies) - not that I need any! :o :evil:

Also, Pearl Art is down your way.They are having a sale starting the 26th of October.Both in house & for on-line orders.Call them for a coupon. They carry RS Paints. It is a pure pigment for encaustics. RS also fabricates a complete encaustic line. Right down to the damar. In New York (where they are based) they have EXTENSIVE workshops! Maybe I will have to make an excuse to go back east to take one if the place in San Francisco does not have. Anyway... check it out.

bearglass
10-26-2005, 02:35 AM
Zoe,I'm jealous. New York has LOTS of accessability to ALL mediums. Looking for encaustic supplies in Northern Cal. is ALMOST impossible.I also tried sinopia to check for a class....NO GO!!! whenever I go to an art store and ask if they carry these supplies they look as if I am speaking a foreign language!!!If anyone knows of any workshops between Carmel to San Francisco PLEASE!?!? Laura :clap:

Bette Lietz
10-27-2005, 08:09 PM
If you think Northern California is isolated from the Art World try Western Australia...not much available here. Thanks for the lead to Joanne Mattera...will look for the book.

lisilk
10-27-2005, 08:23 PM
If you think Northern California is isolated from the Art World try Western Australia...not much available here. Thanks for the lead to Joanne Mattera...will look for the book.
ROFLOL! I can relate!

I just ordered some new books. I'll let everybody know what they are when they get here in... weeks. :p

chinchilla
10-30-2005, 04:00 PM
hey there! i just got the mattera book and read it from front to back - lol!
also went to pearl in hollywood and bought some r&f pigmented wax.
mind you, i only bought the basics! holy cow, it's expensive!!!!!!!!!
pearl was the only place i could find, that had the wax.
from now on, i'll be buying online, probably from blick cause they
seem to have the best prices.

and bearglass - i know what you mean about getting weird looks when
asking about encaustic. so funny! :)

have a great day :)

Pars
10-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Laura,

Sorry I don't know of any workshops on the West Coast, but you might post in the community news section. I think one of the WC encaustic painters may live out your way and might have some leads on classes.

And, I went to the Pearl Expo; it was fun; went with one of my students (not an art student, btw), but it was smaller than I imagined and the prices were not much better than the online shops :D I'd only been to one other Expo in Santa Fe (and I think it was bigger) :)

I only bought some Fabriano paper and a special set of w/c brushes. Of course I could have bought and bought, but I don't need much right now. No encaustics; not many new products, but as I said, "fun" and worth the effort.

If I hear of any classes you're way, I'll post or send you a PM. :wave:

Happy Halloween!

PS - Kitty Wallis of Wallis paper fame was there. Her papers are fabulous!

Zoe,I'm jealous. New York has LOTS of accessability to ALL mediums. Looking for encaustic supplies in Northern Cal. is ALMOST impossible.I also tried sinopia to check for a class....NO GO!!! whenever I go to an art store and ask if they carry these supplies they look as if I am speaking a foreign language!!!If anyone knows of any workshops between Carmel to San Francisco PLEASE!?!? Laura :clap:

bearglass
11-03-2005, 01:35 AM
Zoe,
Do any of us REALLY need more supplies. We just try to keep our addictions going. Thanks for keeping me in mind about any workshops. Right now I am trying to concentrate on my glass and silver. The encaustics is for late night stress relief. My kids are even having fun with it! Has anyone used both the pure pigments (such as RF) and also the pigments in wax (as most of the other companies put out). I only use the RF paint. It was what I was introduced to and was told not to bother with the others. That there was not enough punch to the paint to be worth it. Any info on how they measure up???Laura :wave:

troutbum
11-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Forgive everyone, but I am going to ask what is probably a really stupid question. What is encaustic? In a current exhibit, the program list that the medium for one Honorable Mentions is encaustic. What is it?
Thanks!
troutbum

lisilk
11-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Hi Troutbum

The simple answer is painting with wax. It can be with an iron or the wax can be tinted and kept in tins on a hot plates and painted on canvas, etc.
These will help you understand:
Ed Zawadzki's Painterly Encaustics Article (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/15290/459/)
Joe Majury's Intro To Encaustics Article (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2071/291/)

And welcome to Wetcanvas!

troutbum
11-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks lisilk! I greatly appreciate the information and the references. WetCanvas.com is becoming a real education for me. Thanks again!
troutbum

holliek
11-27-2005, 01:46 PM
Another spot on the web for purchasing encaustic supplies would be:

fineartstore.com

Christine J
01-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Hi!
I just ordered some encaustic medium and color blocks from a company in NY I am excited to get them, I am too chicken to make my own. I want them as a transparent layer on acrylic and oil paintings.

Mary Woodul
01-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi Christine, welcome to Mixed Media and WC. You will enjoy playing around with the encaustics and if you haven't already, look aroun the threads and you will fine plenty of information here in the forum about encaustics.

Good luck!:)

Llyniwres
01-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the links in this thread for Ed Zawadzki and Joe Majury's Intro. to Encaustic Art. I am gradually getting the bigger picture, thanks to this amazing site. I've been absent too long!
This medium is fascinating.... it sure gives a new take on 'Dashing away with the smoothing iron!', and I find it's great to do with music as a warm up... but then you don't know where it will take you. To some wonderful places, I reckon.
I really appreciate Ed's demonstrations of his "Painterly Encaustic Techniques and have visited his website for even more inspirational work. So thanks, Ed.
Now all I've got to do is to get into it.
I like your idea, Christine, of using waxen colour to add a film to acrylic paintings, and find that time spent doing wax painting (with an iron mainly) makes me want to return to my acrylics. It's all good, isn't it!
Then again, I am terribly impressed by Pain-ter's encaustic painting 'Two eggs and a Pitcher', which you can see on the thread several below this one. It's stunning in its classic style. Lovely to look at, incredible to achieve.
Wow.
Cheers for now,
Llyni.