PDA

View Full Version : Last Light

paintchristina
05-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Fern Hill wetlands is very near my home and great place for sketching and painting outdoors. This casein and gouache (with a small amount of watercolor) developed from a plein air sketch and previous wc study. I changed the lighting to evening be able to bring out the lovely green buds on the saplings against a dark mass of foliage and sky. the photo is pretty close to the original as far as I can tell on my monitor.

thanks for looking!

casein & gouache on textured claybord 9 x 12
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2007/21767-fernhillevening.jpg

meglyman
05-21-2007, 07:53 AM
I like the colors, especially the yellow!

How do you like using gouache on textured claybord?

paintchristina
05-25-2007, 12:35 PM
I like the colors, especially the yellow!

How do you like using gouache on textured claybord?

i use Holbeins gouache with D/S watercolor and love it. the Holbeins gouache is so silky and smooth and adds passages of opaque to a watermedia painting. textured claybord is a treat to paint on. i prefer the mixture to just WC, either on paper or claybord.

Old Tex
05-25-2007, 01:20 PM
A nice, soft painting. Nice one. I'm not familiar with textured clayboard. Is it something readily available at my art supply store?

paintchristina
05-25-2007, 04:10 PM
A nice, soft painting. Nice one. I'm not familiar with textured clayboard. Is it something readily available at my art supply store?

Here is the website of the manufacturer
http://www.ampersandart.com/.

It may or may not be carried by a local store. Cheap Joes and Dick Blick has it at a good price if you like to shop online.

AriadneArts
05-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Very lovely piece. I especially like your palette. Well done!

maggie latham
05-28-2007, 06:50 PM
:cat:
Hello,

The clayboard, and your delicate touch gives it a really lovely painterly feel. Have you tried pastels on pastel clayboard? From this painting I think you might like working in pastels.

Maggie

paintchristina
05-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Hello,

The clayboard, and your delicate touch gives it a really lovely painterly feel. Have you tried pastels on pastel clayboard? From this painting I think you might like working in pastels.

Maggie

I love it all...but only have a small studio which I have to share with my sister and my ebay business. So no room for another medium! Otherwise I would enjoy pastels, i am sure.