PDA

View Full Version : Miniature Acrylics / Blue Door/ Red Door

paintergirl
05-06-2002, 03:53 PM
The original painting of this is actually 2ft x 3ft ( WIP) I thought some of these would make great miniatures and have done them for the challenge. I'm selling the miniatures to pay the listing fees for bigger works...

Sorry, I dont know why, but these are viewing much darker then they are!Help!!!
Any comments?

These are approximately 2.5 inches x 3 inches including border...
Acrylic on 140lb paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2002/bluedoor2.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2002/red_door2.JPG

paintergirl
05-06-2002, 04:00 PM
Would anyone know why these uploaded at WC so much darker then on my files? I just went back and checked, and my saved pics are much lighter and closer to their true value...have tried this again!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2002/1.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2002/2.jpg

KarenU
05-06-2002, 04:40 PM
Julia....first...I love the doors! Wow, those are really miniature. You've done a beautiful job on the detail at that size! I've been doing my postcards for postcard project 3 and have been working in a 4" x 6" format with acrylics....been giving all my teeny tiny brushes a workout....not to mention my eyesite :D

Second...when you uploaded your pics to WC...did you allow WC to resize the image for you? I've noticed that sometimes when you allow WC to resize the image, it then appears a bit darker for some reason? Now I handle all my photo manipulation (size, contrast, etc.) in photoshop and then upload. I've been happy with the results.

paintergirl
05-07-2002, 12:07 AM
Thanks Karen,
I wish I was working off photoshop...I am working off photoimpact and not very happy with the results. Both items were scanned the same and properly edited but once I got to WC,... arrrghhh!

The second upload wasnt much better but at least the color isnt so dark...Hmmm, trial and error...

4x6 is a great size for minis...what type of brushes are you using for detail? I have some horrendously expensive brushes , but for the detailing I am using "Plaid" liner brushes. Super economical and they hold a tip for a long time.( I wish my other brushes were priced as reasonable...LOL)

Where is Postcard Project 3 posted?

KarenU
05-07-2002, 11:05 AM
Julia....Photoshop definitely is a great tool, but unfortunately pretty expensive. My husband is into photography so I scan his slides in for him and photoshop is invaluable for tweaking the results of the scan to get it just right. That's the problem with all this digital stuff, you don't know what you're going to wind up with unless everything is calibrated accurately between the scanner, the monitor and the printer (if you're going to do output).

As far as my little brushes go....I've been using a combination of them. several from Grumbacher, a little Liquitex round, and a couple from Winsor & Newton. I could use more small brushes and I'm definitely going to check out the "Plaid" ones you mentioned, thanks for the tip!

The Postcard Project 3 thread is in the multimedia forum. When I first joined the project, I thought I had to do one card and send it to the first person on the list, then I found out I have to do a card for each person on the list....yikes! I've completed 7 and have 23 to go. Guess I'll be doing postcards for awhile. :eek:

I find that working small (which I hardly ever do) is pretty time consuming, how bout you? I thought it would be really quick, but it's not.

mf.sutton
05-07-2002, 11:32 AM
Julia, wow, such great work in miniature, the detail would be great in a normal size but in the small sizes you are working in they are remarkable, I love them - Mike:clap: :clap:

(mind you I have loved all your work so far)

paintergirl
05-07-2002, 12:04 PM
Thanks so much Mike...the blue door is also being done on a 2x3foot canvas...I'll post the photo when it's done. I taught myself how to paint in the beginning doing mini's, so it is fun to be doing them again. I like to push the envelope with them and see how accurate i can be on such a small canvas. I enjoy seeing your work also!!:D

Karen, I have heard so much about photoshop and calibrating. Ive been on a PC 10 months now...it's almost overwhelming how much I am needing to learn!
As for the brushes, I have $50 dollar wash brushes in my inventory, so I know how bad they can get price-wise. The Plaids are awesome for being so much cheaper and I have done huge paintings with minute detail off one brush. (Wow..they should give me a discount for 'plugging" them...LOL)

Yes, the tiny ones are just as time consuming for me...I think that's why I get so vexed when the scans look so off-kilter after all that work...sighing.
Ill check out that postcard thread, wish I had realized it was going, it would have been fun!

Drumbeat-trish
05-07-2002, 12:46 PM
These are lovely Julia - so much detail in a little space. Very inviting doors.:)

paintergirl
05-07-2002, 06:13 PM
Thanks Trish! I hope I can improve my PC skills so I can get them on-line looking a little more like they are in life...;)

surreal
05-07-2002, 08:34 PM
The doors are wonderful!!!!

surreal

CathyD
05-09-2002, 03:37 AM
I love them! Beautiful work!
Cathy