PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Virtual Paint Question

sir_real
05-16-2007, 12:42 AM
As I dive more into Painter and into digital work in general, I can't help but feel a certain absence. I can't really put my finger on it, it's somewhere between a loss of physicality and that of material. Printing out the results of my work helps alleviate this feeling as I get to "see" the work outside of my computer screen, however, with my work progressing more and more into the realms of texture (since I've been experimenting with impasto and justjeans "age brings wisdom" post reminded me--still love the texture in that btw!:wave: ) it seems to take the virtual to a whole other level--one that can't really be duplicated via printmaking. I'll continue on because I do love the look and I feel that that alone justifies the process, however, I'm curious how everybody else deals with idea of the physical becoming virtual?

Mind you, I come from a fairly rigid painting/drawing background, being born and bred on those awesome words like "physicality" and "painterly" and such and my conversion to a digital realm came after much thought and proof to myself of the greats means that would become available for my disposal. So my question is not meant to be one of those inflammatory posts in any way, I'm just curious.

Chiers
05-16-2007, 01:01 AM
I don't deal with it. I was first a traditional painter, and always will be. I just consider digital painting as just another medium but would never ever use it as a replacement for traditional work. For me digital can't take the place of the instant gratification the comes from touching a brush on a canvas, or the paint on the fingers and the smell and mess of it all. And the printed result of digital in no way compares with a painting done on a traditional support. At the same time, digital has other advantages that traditional does not.

justjean
05-16-2007, 01:30 AM
Leif , as I have never painted other than digital and a wee bit of china painting I can't answer your question, but I will say that digital painting has made me think I would like to explore the oils and water colour painting :D

omniartz
05-16-2007, 11:19 AM
I have been creating art since I was a youngster and I have found that I always enjoy the trad media but find I generally scan it in and "embelish" with digital. I came to digital early as my first computer was a Tandy Radio Shack Color Computer with a Koala Pad tablet, hooked up to a TV. And I did digital art from that beginning. Back in 1980's I had a couple digital pieces on the cover of a Computer Consortium Magazine called "Energy"

The Digital world opened me to the grand use of color, which influenced my trad artworks as well. I am still enamored with Matisse and Picasso and their use of color.

I am largely self-taught, and my art is exploratory and playful at best. But I am serious about the creative act.

When I feel like I want to do some traditional art I do so. But I revel in digital! I too love to see the work as a print. There is much satisfaction in that, something to hold and view. I truly enjoy Art! Period. :wave:

JCoop
05-16-2007, 03:32 PM
real, a thoughtful question for sure.

What I do sometimes is to transfer my digital painting to archival canvas, then I take some acrylics and have a good 'ole time embellishing and creating texture. Just a thought.:)

sir_real
05-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Interesting, interesting, interesting!

Sherry: I think that's a lot of my problem--thinking too much and not simply enjoying the mediums for what they're worth on an individual basis.

Jean: I think your work would translate wonderfully into oil and/or watercolours--do it!

Kirk: D*** straight!

Joel: I've thought about that, but as of yet haven't really had the time to sit down and experiment (just got back from a honeymoon and am moving into a different apartment--also, hence the lack of posting as much around here). The idea of combining worlds seems to have some serious power in my eyes.

Anyways, thanks everybody! I've been going through a very futile/depressed period of time where I've been trying to justify working in the mediums that I work in and in the styles that I work in. And so far this thread has been a good help in getting me back into the work, back into the vast experiment of art, and out of the slump!

leif

digistyle
05-16-2007, 07:36 PM
I take a slightly different approach. I combine some of the traditional with the digital. I always draw or paint with sheets of paper of varing textures covering my tablet. I don't really care for the slick feel of the tablet's plastic surface. I prefer the "pull" you get when drawing/painting with the stylus on the paper. Plus, it just "sounds" more natural. The nibs wear down faster, but they are not that expensive to replace.

I sometimes involve smell in my digital painting process. I slap some oil paints, mixed with some linseed oil, onto a support, letting it dry as normal. Having that scent of that mixture in the room as I work digitally really enhances the painting experience for me. On many occasions, caught up in painting, I've accidentally brushed my clothes with the stylus and looked down half expecting to see a paint mark.

I'm a firm believer in blurring the lines. To me, it's like having the best of both worlds.

GeoBen
05-16-2007, 10:51 PM
"I prefer the "pull" you get when drawing/painting with the stylus on the paper."

THAT is a great idea! I liked your response in whole to be honest.

I can only draw digitally and i am only now learning to paint and the only way that will happen now is digitally. I spend a lot of time researching how traditional artists make pictures. Too many digital paintings can be discerned to be of digital origin because many of the results would not be possible traditionally. I study traditional images more than I do digital ones. To learn technique.

So... I create a vector drawing in layers and move the image into the paint program in layers (thank you Deep Paint for the plugin) and I paint from the back forward. I adapt as many traditional methods as possible.

It is not so much that I want to "hide" the image's digital origin, just that I want that i want the image to be MINE, not the applications.

geo.

p.s. congratulations, sir_real ! may you have a long and happy marriage.

LavenderFrost
05-20-2007, 04:47 PM
When I paint digitally, I do miss that feeling of having a finished product in my hands. Sure, it can be printed, but my own printer won't do it justice, and I have to save up to get professional prints made. I think that's the main reason I keep up with acrylic painting. There is also the temptation to paint objects. So I try to enjoy each for their own good points.

Lucy-Foote
05-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Very interesting subject, How each of us feel about digital painting. I started with a Tandy I got from Radio Shack They used my paintings to advertize back in the 80's...They had a paint program built in, and I used a mouse to paint with.. . had a dot metric printing machine then.. boy I thought that was something .

I was still teaching art at that time in oils and acrylic . I really didn't become that enthused about digital painting until I saw a demonstration of computer painting with Fractual painter in the early 90's. It was quite expensive for the program then.

When Fractual painter 3 came out I decided to get that. Also new and faster computer and printer.( still was slow compared to our's now days) I have up graded to X now, but like working in Corel 8 the best.

I still continued with my traditonal oil's and acrylic's painting's. On a comissioned basis only. I find I like digital painting though much better. I work with them as I do on a traditonal canvas , as I don't use the layers. I just keep building up as I always have done. The zooming in on a certain part is great, especialy being a detail painter as I am.

I have 2 Epson printer. The smaller one and large one. I get great prints from them. I use only Epson papers.

The main thing is to enjoy what ever you enjoy doing best. I taught that to my students, and they were happy.:)

Lucyhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2007/70668-foote2.JPG