PDA

View Full Version : NEW PanPastels---whole new approach to pastel medium

Donna A
05-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Hi! Probably the newest thing on the scene at the IAPS Convention was the PanPastels! They come in little clear, round plastic pans and have a 'dry-ish creamy' consistency and are applied with various size/shape fine spongey tools. The 60 colors are applied more like 'brushed-on' paint rather than our stroked-on pastel from sticks. These PanPastels are soo intriguing!!! They have been developed by the same person who invented theColourShapers which I think are so great!

Of course, one of the first questions I asked was about light-fastness of the Pan-Pastels. I was sooo happy to know that that was one of the first things they considered and had tested---by the new ASTM standards. That was good news to me.

I'm fascinated with what the PanPastels can do. Guess for me they are seeming particularly interesting and useful for underpainting. They go on in a very fine layer, so utterly smooth----and FAST! That alone promises some wonderful things to me for quickly blocking in several under-color areas over any of the many great paper color choices we all have. Tiny to very broad, large shapes possible in an instant. LOVE it! :-) These PanPastels can be used with our stick pastels---and evidently some other mediums.

And 'at first glance' seems like there is nothing to get particularly airborne, either---good for those who are especially concerned about dust issues.

They also showed fully finished paintings created only with the PanPastels. They lend themselves to softer images and one person described results as ethereal. But crisp, hard edges are possible, too. Gradations are sooo easy, too. They were just so fun and fascinating to play with. They had so many different paper surfaces there for artists to experiment with at their booth. I went back twice just to double-check my experience. Yep---was as good or better the second time. I'm really looking forward to their release on to the market---July, I believe they said.

http://www.PanPastel.com

No specific information on their web site yet, other than the summer availability and a Registration page link on which to sign up for news updates. This should be a marvelous addtion to our pastel medium! Best wishes! Donna ;-}

Donna T
05-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Wow! These seem very interesting Donna. Wouldn't it be nice to just brush on a smooth underpainting with no paper warping to worry about? Sounds like they could produce some watercolor-like effects. I look forward to seeing these.

Donna T

BruceF
05-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Sounds interesting.

I just went to their website and register for the updates, but it gives me an error when I go to submit it.

CM Neidhofer
05-15-2007, 05:51 PM
http://www.PanPastel.com

No specific information on their web site yet, other than the summer availability and a Registration page link on which to sign up for news updates. This should be a marvelous addtion to our pastel medium! Best wishes! Donna ;-}

These sound very interesting. I tried to sign up for their future news updates, but the submit form function doesn't work at this point. :(

Christine

Donna A
05-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Hmmmm---I registered earlier today---but perhaps from their other address. I went to them both---and essentially the same general site. Give their other one a try---http://www.sofftart.com since that may be the one I got registered on today.

Their PanPastel Tools are called Sofft---so that is Sofft Art.

Both web site addresses are on their brochure---one on the side mainly featuring the PanPastels and on the other side---the Tools--but with the PanP's and Tools on both sides. They have a phone number listed on their brochure, too---for anyone extra eager with questions: 1-484-646-9900. Fax: 1-484-646-9901. They are in Pennsylvania. I'm really looking forward to their updates. These have me very excited and curious. And those of us who love to experiment with new possibilities, anyway.... :-) I'm really curious to hear feedback from others who 'played with these' for a few minutes at the IAPS Convention. Take good care! Donna ;-}

BruceF
05-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Using the www.sofftart.com site works to register.

CM Neidhofer
05-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks Donna and Bruce. Got it.

Christine

Merethe T
05-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Donna, thanks for letting us know, I hadn't heard of this before...sounds interesting! looks like this could be a great alternative for underpaintings and larger blocks of color...

I found a link over at the Pastel Journal web site that could be interesting for others too, it's a video-demo from the IAPS about the PanPastels:

http://www.artistsmagazine.com/video/tam_tv.asp?showid=61075

Merethe

Sandy K
05-16-2007, 06:35 PM
I saw the video you are referring. I think I am going to love them. You can erase them also.

Donna, did they give you any kind of price range (gotta have them, gotta save my bucks)...lol.....

Donna A
05-16-2007, 09:52 PM
I saw the video you are referring. I think I am going to love them. You can erase them also.

Donna, did they give you any kind of price range (gotta have them, gotta save my bucks)...lol.....

Hi, Sandy! Yes---the individual pans are listing at $5.95. And the pans each have an average of 35% more than pastel sticks. They had a list there of the exact percentage of the PanP material compared to each brand. I'm thinking that each Pan has so much more coverage that any given stick that it might turn out even a bit better on behalf of the users. That's a guess---that is just from the two times I 'fussed around with' them at the PanP' booth---but I did spend a while both times. I'm thinking they will be pretty cost effective.

They have several sets and specific prices----sets of 5, 10 and 20---but I need to check my notes. Three different sets of 20 and I asked them about an equally good 'group price' for all 60 colors. They are working on a full-60 set price since they said other artists also asked for/about a full-60 price.

I'll check back in once I dig through notes. A friend who drove out to Albuquerque took all my demonstrating materials out and back (bless her!!!)---and she just dropped them off this afternoon---so---must (argh!) do more unpacking! :-) More soon!

I'm with you! I think I'm going to love these PanPastels! :-) Best wishes! Donna ;-}

Sandy K
05-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Thank you Donna......gonna be saving my bucks!!!! I gotta have them.

Donna A
05-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi, again Kathy et al!!! I was 4 off---the colors are $5.99 each, and include free tools, instructions, storage jar (for used tools) and (yes) 35% more material than the average pastel stick (that varies from brand to brand – so for example we have only 2% more than Art Spectrum, but 58% more than Sennelier.)

The sets are:
5 color - $24.95
10 Color - $44.95
20 Color - $89.95

So that is a good savings when buying a set! With thinner layers and the pigment going farther and lasting longer; less or no dust off into the air---and no issue with breakage and those often lost 'bits' these are more economical that I had at first instance realized.

The sets have tools etc, especially the 20 color set.

They are working on a 60-color studio set. More on that when they have that price set. It should offer good value compared to the individual color price as with the other sets.

Guess I'm glad I have a LOT of things going on for now, cuz otherwise it would be soooo hard to wait for these delicious new pastels to be released to begin working with these! I've been sharing this info with the artists who study with me---and showing them the lovely PanP brochure that I picked up at the IAPS Convention. Others here in Kansas City are salivating, too! :-) I can really see things I want to do with these PanPastels. I'm such an impatient person, but am gritting teeth and fussing with allllll the other things on my plate right now! :-) But boy am I going to be READY! :-) They were already taking orders for the sets at the convention---so---I'm assuming anyone could email or call them with an order. Take good care! Donna ;-}

doe
05-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Those look great! Can't wait to try them - thanks for posting the info!

Donna T
05-17-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks for telling us about these, Donna! I can't wait to try them. It sounds like they will be perfect for underpaintings. Those little containers look like they will travel well too. A quick underpainting for plein air work is so helpful - even one PanPastel to do a monochromatic guide sounds like a dream come true.

Donna T

Donna A
05-19-2007, 01:32 AM
Actually---yet another "coool" thing about these PanPastels is that they have a gray value range of 5 or 6 white-gray-blacks to develop a value study or "hue-less" value underpainting.

It's been fun to hear the visions and excitement voiced by the artists who study with me when I showed them the brochure on these very new pastels this week. Great to see the questions they come up with and the ideas for using these. Everyone seems to be excited by these. I know I'm 3" from holding my breath till these are available.

I know that of the two web sites for PanPastels and their SofftArt Tools, it was the latter which let me register for info updates. If any of you have had trouble registering at the PanPastels.com site, go to http://www.sofftart.com to get the latest info. The artist who invented these is the same person who invented the wonderful ColourShapers, so a really clever, inventive person who is very much in touch with great new possibilites for we artists. Take good care! Donna ;-}

Paula Ford
05-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Oh Wow, I just watched the video and they look like so much fun!!! Can't wait to try them.

I just hate underpainting, so these would be really easy to lay color down for that purpose...I'm so excited!

Paula

Katherine T
05-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Donna - do you know if these are just going to be distributed in the USA or whether there any plans for them to go further afield. There are a number of pastel products that I can only get if I order from USA suppliers but I tend to prefer to wait if they're going to make an appearance in the UK eventually.

Donna A
05-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Donna - do you know if these are just going to be distributed in the USA or whether there any plans for them to go further afield. There are a number of pastel products that I can only get if I order from USA suppliers but I tend to prefer to wait if they're going to make an appearance in the UK eventually.

Hi, Katherine! Since I had received an email from PanPastels after registering at their web site, I emailed with your question. Here is the reply. Looks good, especially since half the PanPastel team is from the UK! So I think you will get well taken care of in a pretty timely fashion!

Hi Donna, Thanks for passing on that question.

We will be supplying internationally, although it will vary regarding timing from country to county. The UK will be one of the first markets outside the US to get the colors. Exact timing to be decided.

I showed the PanP brochure at the MidAmerica Pastel Society meeting last night, where we did a review on new products from IAPS. Lots and lots of interest and questions and yearnings! I am so looking forward to getting to experiment with these more than the few minutes possible at the convention. I am just savoring the memory of what great ease these babies when on to a whole array of different painting surfaces! :-) I hope we all get our opportunites before very long!

Have you registered for updates? http://www.panpastels.com And---then you could also email specific questions about UK introduction. Very best wishes! Donna ;-}

Shoutout33
09-25-2007, 12:55 AM
Dear God in Heaven, I have no more excuses!:D Man, you can mix'em and everything! The only thing I thought I wasn't going to like about them, was that you couldn't "draw" with them...so much for that excuse. :p I can dip in and run with it and if I make a mistake, all I have ta' do is erase!?!?!? The Mrs. wants some art on the walls, she shall have her art by golly! One thing I really, really like about this product, is that it seems to have an easy learning curve...key word being "seems". I need something I can literally scribble with to be comfortable, and I think this is it. One question though. I have heard many of you mention "undertones". What exactly is this?

DFGray
09-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the links Donna

Eggy
09-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Good news, indeed.