PDA

View Full Version : Pink Adobe

Old Tex
05-15-2007, 12:02 AM
A scene inspired by the Texas Big Bend country. Just a note: there is no white white in this, the scanner is over emphasizing the lightest areas. I tweaked it as much as I could. Moving from lush, green creek scenes at 5x7 to dry, desolate country at 8x10 is proving to be a new challenge. Dirt and rocks... I have so much to learn.

C&C Welcome
Gouache 8x10
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2007/100938-Pink_Adobe_final.jpg

meglyman
05-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Ralph,

That is one awesome foreboding sky. Is it a wall cloud? The texture and color sort of remind me of the moon.

Great use of light and dark. I feel like I'm under that big cloud, and looking at the building, which is the only thing in sunlight for miles around. Great perspective, too. I like the bush in the foreground - looks almost see-through.

I'm glad you're doing 8x10s! The biggest gouache thing I've done is 15x20", and it was such a challenge to get large areas of paint smooth before everything dried. :)

Meg

Seleeni
05-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Wow, that is a leap from lush to dry. I love the complementary colors blue and orange and they look great here. Thanks for sharing, Ralph.

Selene

Old Tex
05-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks to you both! The sky is really a good idea gone bad. Meg, you mentioned the moon, and someone on the Landscape Forum said it looked like an alien planet. I overpainted it a bit, to say the least. I decided this morning, that maybe tonight, I'm going to rework that sky and lighten it up. It's just not working for me.

If you want to see some large realistic gouache paintings, google Gordon Snidow.