PDA

View Full Version : Attic treasures

Dale Ziegler
05-14-2007, 12:14 PM
I've already posted this in the watercolor plus forum but I just found this guoache section so I'm posting it again.
I once took a workshop with Tom Nicolas. He's a great Guoache painter.
He uses standard watercolors but mixes them with white. Just uses less water to get the darks and mixes in white to get the lighter shades. His results are unbelievable! If you ever have a chance and are serious about guoache, take one of his workshops.

This is 1/2 sheet 300# arches CP, done opaquely with watercolors and white.

ATIC TREASURES
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2007/89779-attic_treasures.jpg

meglyman
05-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Nicely done! I especially like the lighting and the blue colors on the cloth.

I wonder how gouache is different from opaque watercolors. Is it at all, chemically? In handling?

Meg

Dale Ziegler
05-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Meg. As far as I know. Opaque w/c and guoache are the same thing. DALE

take2
06-07-2007, 01:09 AM
Your painting is so nice! - it looks so real - excellent render very excellent

Richard Saylor
06-07-2007, 03:13 AM
I wonder how gouache is different from opaque watercolors. Is it at all, chemically? In handling?

MegThere's essentially no difference between watercolor and gouache in spite of a lot of hokum to the contrary on the internet. Some manufacturers may grind the pigments more coarsely for gouache, or use different proportions of gum arabic to pigment for watercolor and gouache, but the two types of paint are essentially identical.

I believe the better grades of gouache do not even use an opacifier (such as calcium carbonate). Most of my gouache colors have the same degree of transparency as the corresponding watercolors. I use gouache and watercolor paint together without distinguishing between them (unless I'm doing a so-called 'purist' transparent watercolor), and the world hasn't come to an end.

Richard

Richard Saylor
06-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Dale, that's a beautiful painting.

Richard

Old Tex
06-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Boy, I dont' know why I've missed this one. Dale, this is beautiful! One of these days I want to try some still life work. Very, very nice!

As to the question about gouache, it's my understanding that gouache is also referred to as opaque watercolor. Gordon Snidow has painted with gouache for his entire career, and comments about his work use the two terms interchangeably. I think the only people who are concerned with this are the transparent watercolor purists. In fact, I believe this forum was created so us renegades could post somewhere besides the Watercolor Forum. Apparently to some purists, if it's not transparent, it's not watercolor.

Since I often use washes and opaque paint in the same painting, I just avoid the controversy by calling it by the label on the tube: "gouache". As far as how a particular medium is "intended" to be used, well, a lot of books have been written, and I learn by reading and looking at other work, but I don't ever remember seeing "directions" on the label of any tube of oils, acrylics, watercolor or gouache. There are "basic principles" in art, but heaven forbid if anyone ever decides to establish "standard practice". Where would the fun be in that?

Got on my soapbox, didn't I? Sorry about that!

AriadneArts
06-09-2007, 12:19 PM
This is just lovely, Dale. I especially like your handling of the cloth and of the metal. Oh, and the cup is great too! Aw heck, I just really like the whole thing. :) Well done!

meglyman
06-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the info, Richard!

Ralph, good point. The best way to learn and be unique is to make it up as you go.

Meg

Seleeni
06-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Really lovely painting Dale. I can't even imagine how you did it.

There's not much on the web about Tom Nicolas (or Nicholas?). Do you know if he has a DVD out?
Selene