PDA

View Full Version : eBay: Square Trade Seal

Shai
05-06-2002, 02:26 AM
Is anyone using this?
https://www.squaretrade.com/

If you are, what's your experience? Does it help when you display the seal in your auctions?

Thanks!

CarlyHardy
05-06-2002, 10:40 AM
I don't use it but do see it on many of the auctions. Why don't you just email one of the sellers that you've noticed using it at ebay and find out how its working for them?

And please post any feedback! I'd like more info too.
carly

Shai
05-07-2002, 02:48 AM
Thanks, Carly.

I saw some people using this as well, but didn't think much of it that time. Then yesterday, I came across the Square Trade web site and got curious. I was looking for some traders (particularly, those selling artwork), but didn't find anyone I could email.

Anyway, I'll stay on the lookout. Then, I'll share here if I find out anything useful.

timelady
05-07-2002, 05:11 AM
I think you need to consider your own policies first. SquareTrade does charge a fee (monthly I think?) and also a fee to settle a dispute. My own policy is that the customer can return anything they're not happy with. It's not really posted anywhere but if a buyer ever asked I happily offer a refund when I receive the work returned. Luckily I've never had a problem yet but I think that's down to two things. 1. My payment policy is VERY specific as to what forms of payment I accept. 2. I always ship quickly and insured (or if not insured it's when I know I'll have to pay out of my pocket if it's lost). I've never had a problem on eBay yet (whew!) so the Squaretrade fees would have been wasted - paying out of my pocket should a problem arise is still the cheaper option for me given my auction record.

You can of course list your own guarantee on your auctions. :) Just keeping positive instills a lot of good faith. I think SquareTrade is used more by powersellers and those selling high-priced items, like electronics, all the time. For a powerseller the seal probably looks good.

I signed up for SquareTrade a long time ago (a year? maybe more?) when they had a free offer for a few months. The security check required me to fax them ID or credit card info, can't remember which, and I decided I was not happy doing that. Since this was required before I'd be signed up I simply didn't do it and figured my application would just expire. So I was very surprised when a couple weeks later I received an email saying I was accepted WITHOUT having ever sent them security info to check my identity! I emailed them asking to be removed from their service immediately. Now this was a long time ago and things may have changed but I wasn't very impressed.

Tina.

kjsspot
05-07-2002, 11:43 PM
Tina! That's terrible! I too fail to see the need for it. I offer a satisfaction guarantee on all my auctions myself.

Shai
05-08-2002, 10:41 PM
Yeah, sounds bad, Tina! Thanks for sharing.

I also received some feedback from another online artists' group I just joined. And yeah, the general consensus seems to be unfavourable.

Maybe it only works with other types of auctions.