PDA

View Full Version : Crested - WIP

lauriemc
05-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi all. :clap:

This is my first post to this forum, I've been working on some landscapes, but really think I want to go back to animals... so.... here is a work in progress...

It is based on a pic of a spanish horse I found, and really loved the arch and crest. It is 20 x 24 oil. I have just started it and not much past laying in the base painting and lighting... I like what is happening and am almost afraid to go back to it for fear of loosing what I think is going on. Do others feel that way when starting a piece?

Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts as I progress on this one.

Thanks ;)
Laurie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2007/64475-Andalusian_Curved_neck.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2007/64475-P1010463.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2007/64475-P1010473.JPG

tazzers2007
05-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Looks like your off to a great start!

jody007
05-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I am just like that, I love what I am seeing so far. I am watching you work.

Jody

SonjaR
05-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Hi Laurie,

Looks like it's coming along beautifully. I found the same image in the RIL and have just finished a coloured pencil drawing of the same horse :lol: I fell in love with the pose also..what a beautiful animal.

:wave: Sonja

pinups
05-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Hi,
its looking great so far. I sometimes get to a point where I think that its got the uglies so to speak, but when I keep painting it slowly comes together and I like it more and more until its finally finished. Keep us posted with progress pictures please.

annj
05-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Hi Laurie, and welcome! I think all of us that like painting horses probably have that particular image earmarked. I know it's in my own "one day" file.

You're doing a beautiful job on it. It's already gorgeous, even if you didn't do anymore on it. I was also thinking "tack off" for this one.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

lauriemc
05-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks all for the encouragement! It is a wonderful photo, hard to pass it up :) Here is where I made it to today...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2007/64475-Copy_of_P1010001.JPG

I am liking the palette, very limited, burnt umber, ultramarine blue, alizerian crimson, some burnt sienna and a warm green in the back ground. I've had to go out looking for references for the ear and jaw, would love to be able to run my hand over the real thing, sure helps to understand what it is I'm trying to paint. Sigh, no horses available though so I'll just keep working from photos. Again, your thoughts about its progress are welcome!

Laurie ;)

Tazz
05-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Beautiful, really very beautifully done. To look at this actually relaxes me...what a great result.

lauriemc
05-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks, I hadn't considered that effect... I liked the circular composition, I wonder if that contributes to a relaxing feeling.... hmmm....? Glad you like it :)

lauriemc
05-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Well, it is making progress.... I think I'm nearing completion, but am a little worried about how best to put in the forelock. I want it to show movement, similar to the photo. Any ideas? I'm not real happy with the chest and shoulder.... not just sure what is bothering me tho... What do you think?

Thanks ;)
Laurie

bizzy_vicki
05-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Gorgeous!

lauriemc
05-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks Vicki :)

So here is where I'm going to leave it for a couple of days until I figure out what/how to finish the forelock...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2007/64475-P1010007.JPG

Need to let it simmer some....

Laurie ;)

pinups
05-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Looking great as it is. I would probably leave it and sign it if it was just me.

PatrickHedges
05-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Oh my goodness, Laurie, this is stunning. I love the neck shape, and I'm with Les about where to finish it - HERE

annj
05-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi Laurie

It's wonderful! I love this painting.

I think I can maybe see what's bothering you about the chest... I haven't checked the ref pic to see where the horse's legs are.. if the horse has his left front leg back, which is suggested by your painting, then the highlighted area to our left of the chest is not quite where it should be. If you follow the line of the bottom of the neck down then take it along the chest (mentally), it seems too far to the right (our right), do you think?

If his left leg is forward, that would change the shape of the shoulder from how you have it currently.

With the forelock, from what I can see of it on my monitor it looks fine. If you wanted to indicate more movement, you could add some more bulk and movement to the middle and lower parts of the forelock.

But I am a little bothered by the mane - it perhaps could be taken further down to the right side of it, and bleed off the page towards the shoulder? To me it's just a bit too even. It might be that way in the ref - I haven't checked - but if so it looks like it's been trimmed with scissors.

Hope that helps. :-)

lauriemc
05-16-2007, 03:08 AM
Ah, that could be it about the shoulder. I'll go back to the larger original photo, if I can find it, and see if I can better visualize the leg. And I agree about the straight mane. Part of me wanted to let it go off the bottom, which i think is more true to the photo, and it keeps the curve of the neck, the circle, going... but then I balked at dropping it off the canvas. I do think it would be better to carry it through. One of my biggest bug-a-boos is not finishing when it is finished... and as I look at it today, I think that is what I'm trying to do to the forelock, fiddle too much. A few more whispies and I should leave it be I think.

Patrick and pinup... thanks :) I need to allow 'done' to be 'done' :o which it really almost is save for the couple of items noted above.

Laurie ;)

lauriemc
05-17-2007, 07:02 AM
Ok... He is done. I'm much happier with the shoulder now, thanks for the advice, it did help to go back to the reference photo and study it a little closer.

I had a moment of panic when I went back to work the shoulder and the forelock... I couldn't match the colors and the forelock turned into an eyesore... Oh I was sick, I felt I totally lost the piece. But.... a deep breath and a few minutes time out, I was able to pull it back together. And, I think it is a stonger piece now. One of my instructors was fond of saying, "If you did it once, you can do it again." I hung on that phrase pretty hard for a bit there!

Thanks to all who gave advice and comments :). This has been a fun piece to do!

jody007
05-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Wow I love this!!!! Mangificent painting!!! Can I have it please???
Jody

Firehorse
05-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Beautiful work Laurie! Keep painting, I love your style!

lauriemc
05-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks :o, The college cafe asked me to hang it and a couple others there for a little while before I head for home.... so it has a place to be for a couple of weeks anyway. I think I am going to keep working on a series of heads for awhile... rather than bouncing from subject to subject as I've been doing for the last several months!

Laurie ;)

Firehorse
05-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Hey, that's wonderful Laurie! Way ta go!!!