PDA

View Full Version : tube paintings

Patrick1
05-05-2002, 11:33 PM
I sometimes hear/read that it's bad form in 'fine art' for a painting to have areas of it where you can easily tell which color was used in a certain area, straight from the tube, or plus white only. For example, painting the sky with only ultramarine blue plus white, or water which is clearly only phthalo green, grass that is clearly pure yellow ochre, etc.

I want other's opinions on this.

DraigAthar
05-06-2002, 08:56 AM
I imagine it all depends on the effect you're looking for. I hardly ever use colors pure from the tube, but it's mainly a compositional thing - trying to reserve the purest color for the main focus of the painting and greying everything else down to varying degrees. But if you're aiming for a painting with vivid color, well don't hold back just because someone else has told you it's 'bad form.' Learn the rules and then learn why/how to break them. :)

Painted Melody
05-10-2002, 08:57 PM
Every artist has different needs. Van Gogh would take a pure yellow direct from the tube and smoosh it onto his canvas.

Or, the broken color method is done by applying tiny bits of pure pigment laid side by side, and let the eye blend them to form new colors.

The compromise, if you could call it that, is that these paintings tend to be higher key.

You could also go in complete reverse and use gray as your palette, like
Ron Hicks (http://www.jenkinsjohnsongallery.com/introductions_rh701/hicks_thumbnails.html)

Jeremy

Paintbrush74
05-11-2002, 10:38 PM
You could also go in complete reverse and use gray as your palette, like Ron Hicks.

Thanks for that link Jeremy. I especially like the hauntingly beautiful "Say a Prayer for Me".

Patrick1
05-15-2002, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all the replies. To me, it's okay to use color straight from the tube as long as it's done tastefully, or done very selectively. Though
I'm going to try to avoid or minimize using pure colors in the future. Jeremy, having patches of pure color adjacent to each other is a brilliant technique. I've seen landscapes like this; up close, very impressionistic or even abstract. Yet from farther back, the colors 'blend' and it takes on a very natural, realistic appearance such that you'd never know that pure color patches are there.