PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Oils

walden
05-05-2002, 07:12 PM
Well, I sold 4 of my oils on Ebay (all for starting bid amount, but hey, gotta start somewhere.) Now I have to figure out how to varnish and ship them (I said in the description that I would sign and varnish them before shipping-- I guess I need to start signing them immediately when I finish them, to make the process easier.)

Questions:

1) The oils are touch dry-- most not heavy impasto and been drying 2-3 months. Can I give them a regular coat of damar varnish with a brush, or should I do a light spray coat of re-touch varnish?

2) They're on gessoed or canvas covered masonite or plywood panels. I was thinking to ship, I could cover the painted surface with plain slick paper that won't abrade it (like artist's newsprint), then a couple of layers of bubble-wrap, then wrap the whole thing in brown paper & mail. Does this sound like it would work, and adequately protect the surface?

Is there anything else I should be thinking about?

kjsspot
05-05-2002, 08:05 PM
Hi Lisa! I don't have an answer for the varnish. I would recommend posing on the Oils Forum. But I have heard that you should never wrap an oil in paper. I dont' know why though. I'm assuming it would have something to do with the paper soaking up the oil? I dunno.

Sumafra
05-05-2002, 08:19 PM
I have never shipped works on canvas, but nonetheless, I would recommend better protection than just the bubble wrap. Here's what I use for framed paintings (with glass) and it works incredibly well. I use coroplast, that is like corrugated cardboard only it's made out of plastic. It is practically indestructible. Not bendable and almost impossible to puncture. I would put a layer of this front and back of the painting and then wrap in brown paper. You can buy coroplast at the building supply store in sheets of 4 x 8, or smaller if you prefer. It's quite reasonably priced.

kjsspot
05-05-2002, 08:23 PM
I use a box for my canvases. I slip the canvas into a plastic bag and then fill the box with crumpled newspaper. It works great! I get my boxes from uline.com