PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm getting the hand of it - gouache.

vet
05-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Hi to everyone.

I just rendered this parakeet in gouache. I love this paint. I think that I'm done with him unless your artist eye see something that I need to be correct. So please C&C. I think that I am finally getting the hand of working with gouache. I use it thinly and in layers. I love the way it looks on this hand made paper from France. It dry to an almost velvet finish.

I believe that I am growing because of your help.

Thanks for looking and I really appreciate your comments and help

Yvette

meglyman
05-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Vet,

Cute bird! I'm really glad you like gouache so much. It's a fun medium.

Suggestions for this guy: I think you can push the shadows even further in the feathers. Exaggerate the form. Also, the line between his blue shoulder feathers and the black wing feathers is really abrupt, making the wing look a bit "pasted on."

I love how you created depth in his face and neck with stripes. The eye is awesome. I don't know anything about parakeets - what's the dark blue area on his cheek? It looks like you've learned a lot in a short time. Your birds keep getting better and better!

Meg

vet
05-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi Meg,

Thanks for your c&c. What do you mean by "I think you can push the shadows even further in the feathers. Exaggerate the form." I will soften that line on the large feather area's. I find working with white on the head was a bit of a trial. I had dark grey under painting and had trouble applying white to it even mixed with a little blue.

I have learned that if I mist my pallette often during a painting session the paint stays wet for guite a few days. So I am learning alot.

I appreciate any comments and advice you have given to me.

Thanks,

Yvette

BeeCeeEss
05-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Very nice budgie, Yvette. The head and eye are especially well done. You are doing very well with the gouache and you have a great eye for details.

If you want to visit my web site art gallery and take a few minutes to view the parrot paintings there, you might get some ideas on how to handle the texturing of the feathers and how to make it look like the neck and body feathers are slightly overlapping the top and front curve of the wing.

I'll post a link to my site:

http://www.geocities.com/spechtland/gallery.htm

Just click on the thumbnail images to bring up a full-size image of each painting, then use the BACK button on your browser to return to the gallery page.

My paintings of parrots are mostly done in acrylics but I love the flat, velvety look of gouache so I try to paint with my acrylics in that style. The painting of the Hyacinth Macaws is actually a mixed media painting of gouache and acrylics. The texture of the chest and neck feathers on these very blue birds might be helpful guides for showing some texture on the blue chest of your budgie (just not as dark as the Hyacinths).

The detail images of the painting of Sunny and Lolita and also the painting of Sunny and Beaker show the soft neck and chest feathers slightly overlapping the wing. If you could add a bit of feathering (no pun intended) over the top and front of the budgie's wing, it will give the look of depth and softness to his feathers.

Hope that helps.

Beverly

meglyman
05-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Yvette,

What I meant was, making your darks darker and your lights lighter will bring more contrast into the piece, and will help show the shape of the bird. I'm trying to pass on good suggestions I see about art. One thread on CGTalk has a really good artist doing 5-30 minutes of "improvement" of work people submit to him. Almost every time, he can make the piece way better by simply making the darks darker. It's amazing! Now, I just need to do it more myself. :D

Meg

vet
05-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Hi Beverly & Meg,

Beverly, I love the way you paint. This is how I see my birds in my head but its not the way they turn out. I plan on studing your paintings in the next couple of days to see if I can apply your soft feathering to mine. Thank you for sharing with me. Its going to really help.

Meg, I should have understood, darker, darker and lighter lighter. I'm going to try it tomorrow on this parakeet. I am also going to fix the hard line where a shadow should fall near his shoulders and add a few soft feather to the top of his feathers near his shoulder.

How long did it take both of you to get to the point of knowing what you are doing? I've only been at this for about a year now. I look back at some of my first pieces and laugh.

I thank you both and if either one of you are moms, then I wish you a happy Mothers day.

Yvette

BeeCeeEss
05-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi Beverly & Meg,

Beverly, I love the way you paint. ...

How long did it take both of you to get to the point of knowing what you are doing? I've only been at this for about a year now. I look back at some of my first pieces and laugh.

Yvette

Thank you, Yvette. I'm glad if seeing my paintings can help you. That was the idea.

Am I to the point of knowing what I'm doing yet? Heck, I'm still learning!

If you've only been working at it for a year and you're already this good, I'm really impressed. Keep up this kind of progress and you're going to be terrific!

All the best wishes,

Beverly

vet
05-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Thank you Beverly for all of your help and encouragement. I'll post more on later.

Yvette

meglyman
05-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Yvette,

I feel much more like a newbie student than someone who knows what they're doing!

It's way easier to see things that need improvement in other people's work than our own. Waaaaaay easier.

I've been drawing forever and painting for about a year now. The gouache still makes me frustrated every time I use it. The frustration lessens each time, though. Usually.

Meg