PDA

View Full Version : Fun with paper clips 2

calumey
05-10-2007, 12:40 PM
I couldn't resist showing this bracelet off. All wire work, except the eye and head pins (to save time), are made from good ol' office paper clips. I like how the wire feels like heavier gauge wire but not the thickness. They also stay pretty shiny. Other components: Swarovski accents, my EDP lampwork spacers and the flower I bought at the Urban Glass Bead Expo in NY. I'd love to hear what you all think:

http://www.calumey.com/smallshow/purplepaperclip.jpg

airwynnglass
05-10-2007, 01:13 PM
What a fantastic idea!!!! :thumbsup: It looks great!

Elegance_1
05-10-2007, 01:35 PM
That is too cool. You are very resourceful! I like it! :thumbsup:

Dragon Myst
05-10-2007, 01:53 PM
:clap: neat !

calumey
05-10-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm glad you like it. Thank you.

LouiseI
05-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Brilliant! I haven't done much wirework so have been wondering what I can use that is inexpensive but strong enough and pretty enough to make jewellery with - now I know! Gonna get me a big box of paperclips! Thanks Cynthia your bracelet is very pretty, the addition of the little green accents really sets it off. You could probably think up a great marketing thing with the paperclips too in this day of recycling -- oooh what about the coloured plastic ones too they'd look fun on something funky! :)

Where can I see fun with paperclips 1?

Ellen Altamore
05-11-2007, 08:16 AM
very cool - use what you have, eh?

calumey
05-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Louise,
Fun with Paper Clips 1 was a while ago. Here's my first attempt at paper clip greatness :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380766

richsantaclaus
05-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Wow! VERY nice! Staples LOVES you!

Tanz Girl
05-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks a great idea Cynthia.
I bet you had fun too.
Tania.

gingery
05-11-2007, 11:49 PM
I've always loved purple with green & I love the recycle or use what you have available idea!:clap: This is a beautiful piece & I would have never guessed it was made out of paperclips!:thumbsup: That is too cool!:cool:
ginger

one hot beader
05-12-2007, 04:56 AM
Paperclips have a nice 'hand' to them. But after all that effort, how are you going to stop the rust. Because they will!

LouiseI
05-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the link Cynthia, that's one pretty necklace! Do they rust? I'm thinking we have paperclips on things around the house and don't recall seeing rust, but I guess it might be different if they were worn next to a sweaty body?

calumey
05-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Nicole,
I'm not too worried about the rust as it's more of an art piece. I wanted to see how I could make a pretty piece with all the clips. I don't plan on selling it and only plan to wear it once in a blue moon. Again, it's just fun with paper clips. Something to do other than sitting watching tv and munching (I'm trying to lose weight) :)

torchtot
05-12-2007, 06:45 PM
I really love it. Thanks for sharing this idea. It gives me some more ideas...........I needed something stronger than the thin sterling silver wire for some doggy collars I made. I think I will go get a box of clips and remake them because I wouldn't want the little doggy bones falling off the collars when they go for a walk or whatever.
But I don't see why you couldn't sell them as long as you state it is stainless steel and not silver?
Paper clips are stainless, right?
Carol

LouiseI
05-12-2007, 08:47 PM
I don't think they can be if they rust Carol, they must be something else, I still think it might be fun to try something with the plastic coated ones.

Labrador
05-12-2007, 08:52 PM
This is a cute idea :-) I like it

Sophie

tackytwo
05-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Walmart and hobby stores have a product called FUN WIRE--it's 22 and 24 gauge wire covered in bright colors of plastic....I've been using it for jewelry making for my family...especially my 5 year old granddaughter...haven't used it with my lampworked beads yet...but this thread gives me lots of ideas....Way cool.....Thanks for the idea

Sheila M
05-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Hey cool! I like to use aluminum welding rods to make bases for my beads.
People kept telling me they looked like paper clips.
When I saw the title, I knew I had to chime in.
I really like the way this piece turned out. If you rub some sealer on there
you will not get a whole lot of oxidation. maybe even skin oil?
...I like!

fcfmountain
05-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Most paperclips are chrome plated which is why they resist corrosion -till they are abraided on a rough surface. You can wear them safely next to your skin. The only area that might give trouble are the tight wraps where the chrome might peel off. Let us know how it does. TIM

gingery
05-18-2007, 08:11 AM
I would think that you could coat the paper clips, after bending them into the shape you desire, with clear nail polish. That should prevent any corrosion. Just a guess on my part.....what do you think?
ginger

calumey
05-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I might just have to make a fun with paper clips 3!