PDA

View Full Version : Cerulean Blue

islandwoman
05-04-2002, 11:04 PM
Einion, you can probably dispatch this question very easily.

In Michael Wilcox's "Blue and Yellow Don't Make Green, Wilcox describes Cerulean Blue as a green blue. Yet both Liquitex & Golden describe is as a Purple blue. Which is it? (In terms of color mixing).

RWeller
05-05-2002, 01:56 PM
sure seems like it would be a green to me

blkros
05-05-2002, 05:24 PM
I've always thought of it as a green blue, also.

Einion
05-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Although pigments vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and ceruleans can be quite a range of analogous hues I wouldn't worry too much about this as it is merely a reflection of Munsell colour notation (and a good example of why I don't like it much in practice). If we take the two Golden examples from their colour chart, the Deep shade looks visibly green-biased to my eye, especially compared to the Cobalt Blue swatch immediately under it, yet despite this its hue is listed as 1.2BP If this accurately reflected (sorry, no pun intended) its true nature it would mix cleaner violets than greens and of course the reverse is true. And while I buy that some examples might be mid-blues (which is where Liquitex place cerulean on their colour-mixing table despite its Munsell notation) I don't see either Golden example as being remotely violet.

FWIW if the hue notations for both makers are accurate (vis-a-vis each other) Liquitex's Cerulean is quite a bit more violet than the Golden variety - 2.7BP v. 1.0BP - so Golden's will mix better greens while the Liquitex example might be a better choice for a mid-blue if you want one.

Einion

islandwoman
05-09-2002, 06:55 AM
Trying to get a better grounding in color and stumbling over seemingly conflicting info. I'll order the Golden Cerulean Blue and do some comparison color mixing