PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble May 7 Thru 13

K Taylor-Green
05-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Good morning, everyone! I hope your week is off to a good start. Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread, where we share the happenings of our everyday lives!

Jess and I have started a tradition of watching the Kentucky Derby while having dinner out. Usually, we go to Damon's, as they have huge TV screens. There are controls at the tables to control the volumne.
This year we chose a restaurant in Chillicothe as we just happened to be there for other things. Jess was replacing his mom's split rail fence and I was at a friend's a few miles away photographing her newly born Arabian filly. I'll post pics later. I need to resize them for WC.
The race wasn't a disappointment, but not the thrill ride of last year's Derby with Barbaro, either. It didn't help that there were no volumne controls anywhere and we had to watch it without commentary!:eek:
Later, we watched the Barbaro special at my MIL's house. As painful as it was, it was worth it to watch him run again. There will not be another like him in my lifetime.

Pat Isaac
05-07-2007, 09:35 AM
We watch every year also and enjoyed the race. Not the thrill of Barbaro. I had my last concert of the season yesterday and it went well with a large crowd. I also had hummingbirds at my feeder yesterday, which is always a big thrill at our house.

Enjoy the day.

Pat

K Taylor-Green
05-07-2007, 11:58 AM
I haven't seen any hummers, yet.

K Taylor-Green
05-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Introducing HYH Ratezra Haiefaseyn, born May 1st under a full moon.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2007/41107-Haiefa2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2007/41107-Haiefa8.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2007/41107-HaiefaJazzy.jpg

Piper Ballou
05-07-2007, 12:55 PM
I am not a horse person, fell off a donkey when I was young and have a nice scar on my cheek, my husband did watch the race and my school assistant (I bet she even had on some type of hat)

The weather has been warm one day, hot the next, and then cold...weird for this year.
The good news is...only 5 more weeks of school for me..yippee
Hope everyone has a great weekend.
piper

Kathryn Wilson
05-07-2007, 03:38 PM
The race wasn't a disappointment, but not the thrill ride of last year's Derby with Barbaro, either.

ummm .... have to disagree - the race on Saturday was an amazing feat for that horse. He was 19th at the beginning of the race, staying out of trouble, but when the jockey asked for speed, man he was there with bells on. Smart move on the jockey's part, but if you don't have a good horse under you, that would never have happened. A most enjoyable race for me.

Kathryn Wilson
05-07-2007, 03:42 PM
This silly thing won't let me add something.

I watched Barbaro's race in the KD again and there was a point towards the end that looked like a hitch in his stride. I wonder if he hadn't hurt himself then. It's nice to have a huge lead at the finish, but a wise jockey will save his horse for another race, eh?

CM Neidhofer
05-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Awww Kate....what a beautiful baby!!! :heart:

Christine

Merriel
05-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Kate: I know nothing about horse's but alway admire them. Are they always
born with a beard? and do they lose that? or whiskers I guess. We have
horses everywhere = where we live. I always love watching them. They are
a magnificant animal. Thanks for the pictures.

Merriel

Pat Isaac
05-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Great filly, Kate. i agree Kat that this years race was great as I watched that horse come from way behind. However, Barbaro was also good, interesting take about him having trouble early on.

Pat

meowmeow
05-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Hubby watched the are but..well...not really my thing. But...Kate's babies are always beauties and fun to see!
Our weather seems to have finally settled on spring...we are not expecting any rain for a while...I hope they are right.
Took a friend up to Artisans and Craftsman Supply in Portland...I was surprised she had never been there...boy...did she have fun! I got a few little things...to add to my pile for making collage that I have yet to do...oh well. At least I did a little pastel painting. I have not done as much lately as I would like but I've been busy with other stuff and sick in between...life does get in the way!
Sounds like everyone is getting off to a good start for the week! I hope it continues!

Sandy

K Taylor-Green
05-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Merriell, yep they have whiskers,and they keep them. They just aren'taslong on a grown horse.

Maybe, because I couldn't hear the race, it wasn't as exciting for me. I didn't realize till the after race commentary that Street Sense had come up so far behind. There was no volumn turned on at the restaurant.

Kathryn Wilson
05-07-2007, 10:41 PM
LOL - the jockey was so excited, he started celebrating before the finish line - could have been a costly mistake. Apparently, this had been a long time coming and I can understand the excitement, but for heaven's sake, win the race first!

As Nana B said, my lists have lists. I've been packing and packing and packing - and still don't know what to do with the few art supplies I am taking with me to IAPS. All the pre-planning has got me all tired out - but I'm excited to finally be meeting Deborah, Peggy and all the other WC members who are going.

Merriel
05-08-2007, 12:55 AM
That's a sweet looking horse. Their giving wild mustangs away next weekend
close to where we live and they have some babies. They do that about once a year here. We have 100 acreas I'd love to have one but wouldn't know how to take care of it probably. I knew they had short whiskers but those looked so long. thanks.

I know eveyone will have a good time at IAPS. I've been to a couple of them but have to miss this one.
and Thanks Pat for the wonderful demo you are doing. I did buy some
Sennilier pastels when you recommened them so now I can try using them.
your painting is turning out beautiful.

Merriel

Piper Ballou
05-10-2007, 01:27 AM
Pretty quiet around here....here's to all those at the IAPS....have a blast..I thought about going but just cannot things put together so late in the game.

I am on count down now for school, after this week, only four more to go. I have a number of kids that are doing very well this quarter. Tomorrow I am taking my hair cutting stuff to give a student a hair cut....little does he know that I really do not know how to cut hair, but this boy is a shaggy dog and really needs and wants a haircut...good thing it is almost summer and I guess if I mess up I can always just shave his head..I know what you are thinking, why doesn't his parents get him a hair cut....just do not think it will happen....one of the many roles besides teaching that I do
piper

Pat Isaac
05-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Looking forward to you joining us Merriel.
Good for you Piper. Most people don't often know all the little things that teachers do.
Enjoy IAPS everyone.

Pat

meowmeow
05-10-2007, 08:45 AM
This sick grandkids thing is getting to be a bit much! Oi! I drove back up to Maine yesterday morning and spent the day with 2 sick ones! They seem better are are off to school and day care today....poor kids...I hope I don't get this one too..intestinal yuck!

Good luck with the hair cut, Piper!

Sandy

meowmeow
05-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Oops...mean to add....I hope all you lucky people have a wonderful time at IAPS! Maybe one of these years I will make it....have fun and maybe take some pictures to show the rest of us!

Sandy

Pat Isaac
05-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Stay well, Sandy. Were you back in MA for a visit?

Pat

Diana_pastels
05-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Hi everyone. This week and next week are pretty crazy for me - two of my kids (homeschoolers) are taking AP exams at the local high school. My daughter is taking 5 exams total and my son is taking 4. Talk about stress! Today is their first one. Then they have one tomorrow, one on Monday, and one on Tuesday (2 on Tuesday for my daughter).
I have several pictures up on my easel-trying to decide which one to attempt. I have to stop looking through the RL until I paint all the images that I have saved already! :lol: I have my first "real" pastel painting finished and will frame it in a few days - as soon as I can get down to the art store for mats and a frame.
Hope everyone else is having a good week.
Diana

chewie
05-11-2007, 11:13 PM
kate, ahhh, a baby! and where she's at ain't bad either, gorgeous area! so, how bout a barn name? they aren't really gonna spew that out when they call her?! haha!
my mom from iowa has arrived, we're doing a mother-daughter show, on mother's day. I hope it goes well, I think I did fairly well on advertising, but things are not going well for arts this year. we'll see. but, they are close enough to go to--get this one--the d.blick wholesale warehouse!! all the stuff that for some reason doesn't get sold--some is damaged, some is just there? i got 2 new easels today! well, bought em months ago, mom and dad brought them today, with 2 new lights as well. I now have one of those snazzy easel daylight lamps, those longish ones with a long neck! a tube-type easel for an extra when I want to work on more than one thing, and a black steel folding easel for display, demo's., workshops, and the light that goes onto a stanrite easel. i wouldn't have been so crazy with buying except the prices were unreal, i didn't spend $200 on all of it!! (not even sure if i spent $100?)

i was unable to see the big race, wish i coulda. my hubby liked it tho., with that underdog coming up for a big win.

take care, wish me luck, see ya later!

Deborah Secor
05-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Thought I'd drop by on my way to bed and mention that Terry Ludwig and his daughter had a bad roll-over accident on their way to the convention. I posted a bit more about this in the IAPS thread, but he's okay...she was pregnant and lost her baby. :crying:

Other than that, it's been a wonderful day. You are all MISSED at IAPS!

Deborah