PDA

View Full Version : Push the darks? C & C's anyone?

donna9
05-06-2007, 09:11 PM
This is my first real drawing project. I tried to push the darks, as you say around here. I used Strathmore recycled drawing paper, an HB, 2B, 4B, 6B and 8B pencil. I would like feedback. I have held off on fixative in case something needs to be reworked.

donna

Indyviews
05-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Hi Donna, your drawing looks good. If you are wanting a close copy of the color version, then you need to go a bit darker on most everything. If your emphasis is on the window and it is the main point of interest, then you definitely need to go darker.

While looking the both images, squint your eyes and you will see that the grass, trees, sky, curtains need to be darker. Imagine the sky darker where the window panes pop out.

Believe it or not...after darkening most everything 'outside' and darkening the curtains....you will then need to darken the white window. This paragraph and the preceeding one pertain to the fact that the window is the interest in this drawing.

If not, darken the grass and the structures a bit and you have a nice drawing.

frieda L
05-06-2007, 10:05 PM
nice work. and yes, Steve explained it so well.
frieda

jlukach
05-06-2007, 11:30 PM
:thumbsup:Hi Donna,I agree with Steve. He has given you good advice. The only thing I would add (Personal opinion) Is in the future take artistic license and make the window square to the paper. The drawing would read better with the vertical and horizontal lines parallel to the edge of your paper, However, don't change this drawing. It's coming along nicely.:cool:

Jim

donna9
05-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks for your comments. I very much appreciate them.

Steve--I will follow your advice and darken just about everything. I see what you mean about squinting. I am surprised that the window will need to darkened too, but I believe you. One thing that bothers me, the right and left sides aren't curtains, but a building. Is there something I need to do to clarify that? Thanks in advance.

Frida--thanks for the kind words.

Jim--I was drawn to the picture because it was off center, and so am I :) :) . But I think squaring up the piece would be better. There is so much to learn!?!

I have to get this finished by Friday morning as my life is about to get crazy for two weeks. I will post the changes before then.

donna

Indyviews
05-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Well Donna...this is embarrassing! I was thinking I was looking out at a scene, but now it is clear that I am outsind looking at a window reflection. (I hope).

There is something I would to see you do if you have Bluetac or a kneaded eraser it is not necessary. If your vertical lines of the window and panes were plumb (up and down) it would help. What Jim said is good but to go ahead with the drawing. The angled view is interesting.

I see great contrasts in the barn reflection so it would stand to reason that there is strong sunlight on the building and window. So you need to darken the cracks between the boards, (I hope I am asuming correctly) I notice you have some narrow dark variations on the boards, some lighter ones might be good.

On your window's right side, darken the shadow of the vertical board. On the left side darken the edge of the board mostly the corner next to the sunlit area of the window.

This is not so easy to explain...so give me a few minutes and I will come back with a quick example of what I mean.

Indyviews
05-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Donna, there is no great change but I hope it helps some.

I darkened the siding boards here and there and the joints between them. Also some angled areas and knot hole effects (sort of). I also darkened the verticals in the white window and a few dark wheathered areas also and the left edge of the window.

I also lighted the left edges of the dark edges of the boards. I did very little lightening of the dark boards...if any.

Any time strong light appears on anything, look for contrast, or at least that is what I have seemed to notice.

Below is a before and after,not a lot of difference.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2007/97444-Donnas_Barn_Comp_for_WC.jpg

donna9
05-08-2007, 10:38 AM
steve--you are looking at a window reflection and please, there is no need to be embarrassed. I appreciate any help.

I will darken and lighten. I think then I will put it away until Memorial day, when I get back. I will look at it with fresh eyes and then hopeful spray the fixative.

donna