PDA

View Full Version : NEW 'Shades Of Autumn' ~ WIP

amaze_1101
04-27-2007, 12:00 AM
This is a read-only thread - for comments and posts please go here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417761)

A few people asked if I'd do another WIP. So I am doing something very similar to the previous work 'Shades Of Autumn' only this time on a narrower and longer canvas. The composition is very similar, shifted slightly to accommodate the new format.

Here's the first stage painting in the leaves first. No grissaille this time just straight into the colour.
Previously I did the background first but feel this is a bit easier due to the busyness of the subject.
Using various mixes of prussian blue, lemon yellow and titanium white for the green leaves.
Using various mixes of Napthol red medium, lemon yellow and titanium white for the red leaves.
Mixture of prussian blue and napthol red med and tit. white for the darker bits at the back.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2007/41055-NEW_Autumn_Leaves_A.jpg

At this very early stage I like to develop some form in each leaf and get away from the flat plane. I've not used any medium yet, using only water to apply the paint. When the white canvas is fully covered I'll start galzing with medium.
This is 18" x 36"

Andun
04-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Even your first stages look better than my finals:(

bionicanaconda
04-27-2007, 02:52 AM
Elaine, great start and spot on colours. Can't wait to see the glazing.
Anthony, you're too modest.

C_Line
04-27-2007, 06:49 AM
Wow you move fast Elaine! I like this composition even better than the first - the canvas shape suits the vine nicely. Can't wait to see the progress.

idcrisis55
04-27-2007, 07:54 AM
lol I agree with what Tony said! Looking good already!

TxAggieDarlin
04-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Even your first stages look better than my finals:(

LOL.....I KNOW that feeling...IT IS TRUE!

theonoe
04-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Elaine,

Do you happen to know the ratio of water to paint that you use?

Theonoe

Siana
04-27-2007, 03:48 PM
I really like that, thanks for saying how you started your leaves. I will try one with leaves myself. Thanks again. Siana

Charlie's Mum
04-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Lovely comp and colour balance Elaine - like the double square and portrait format too.

bullyluvver
04-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Oh WOW!!! Thanks for doing a WIP, I've been really looking forward to it. Love the colours and everything about it up to now. Can I just ask....do you like lots of texture under your brush or do you prefer a smooth canvas?

Gail

amaze_1101
04-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Morning guys
Thanks for dropping in for a look. Will work on this again later today. I have to take youngest son to soccer game this morning.

Do you happen to know the ratio of water to paint that you use?
Theonoe I really had to think about this one. Water to paint ratio is roughly 80% pigment 20% water.

Can I just ask....do you like lots of texture under your brush or do you prefer a smooth canvas?

Gail For this particular work I want a smooth surface. However the trunk, yet to be painted, will have some textured medium (with colour added) after the initial base colours are painted in. Then when the textured medium is dried I will add further glazing over top. This is how the main trunk branch was done on the previous 'Shades of Autumn' work.

Be back later with an update.

edtree
04-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Thank you for this WIP, Elaine! Leaves are something I'd really like to improve on; this will surely help. I'll be checking back as your painting (and lessons) progress.

Elizabeth

amaze_1101
04-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Hi again.

Thanks Elizabeth.:wave:

So I spent an hour or two this afternoon filling in the background using prussian blue, purple madder and burnt sienna. Lots of little bits of shape requiring a rather small brush for so early in the game. I'm using an angled chisel flat brush and a tapered filbert (as in the pic.) I also added the vines using Napthol red and burnt sienna with a little prussian blue.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2007/41055-NEW_Autumn_LeavesZ_001.jpg

Once that was done I moved onto the branches. Hinting at the lighter areas and shadows to achieve some sort of form. I know some artists leave all that to much later in the piece but I'm always impatient for form to show through, and I don't see why it can't be hinted at as early as possible.
I used various mixes of whatever was on the palette to achieve some kind of appropriate bark background. The yellowish area will become the moss with lichen attached at a later stage. Nothing more done to any leaves today.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2007/41055-NEW_Autumn_Leaves_2.jpg

This detail image will give you an idea how rough everything still is at this stage. Edges will all become cleaner as the glazes progress.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2007/41055-NEW_Autumn_LeavesZ_003.jpg

Now that the canvas is fully covered I'll start using medium in place of water. This will create the glazes and allow this first layer of colour to show through under the subsequent layers.

bullyluvver
04-28-2007, 02:18 AM
fabulous!

Gail

purplepansey
04-28-2007, 05:52 AM
I remember seeing another of your works and think it was wonderful this is the same, you do leaves as well as Mother Nature.

C_Line
04-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Beautiful progress, thanks for sharing the specifics.

edtree
04-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Elaine...what kind of medium do you use for the glazing? I've never tried anything but water and have to admit that I'm not always satisfied with the result. I'm loving the way this is shaping up. Can't wait to see the glazing. By the way, you have a amazing amount of patience :)

Elizabeth

Siana
04-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us. I am a novice with acrylics, it encourges me so much. I do so much appreciate this site.
Thanks again.

debsn2paintn
04-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for taking the time to show how you do your paintings! This is looking so beautiful already! I like this format of canvas too!

bullyluvver
04-28-2007, 12:14 PM
I've been back to this half a dozen times today already! It's so beautiful that I'd love to 'have a go' at some flowers/foliage but it's a bit scary. I may try a small canvas to see how I fare - I adore flowers and always try to surround myself with them.

Gail

rmc
04-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Elaine - when are you having a workshop?????????:heart: :music:
You are a sensational teacher - so clear as well as being such an awesome artist - Honest - think about it - I know at least six people of the top of my head who will be on your doorstep immd for it.:clap: :clap:
Looking forwrd to seeing these in person!!!!:wave:

amaze_1101
04-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Morning peeps.:wave:
Thanks again for coming in to see. Well it''s 9am Sunday morning and I'm still not dressed :o Not sure how much painting will be done today if any. Just a couple of comments to post here...

What kind of medium do you use for the glazing? I've never tried anything but water and have to admit that I'm not always satisfied with the result.Elizabeth I use Liquitex 'Gloss Medium & Varnish'. I don't use it as a varnish, just for glazing. There are other great brands out there as well. I hear Golden is pretty darn good. Water will dilute the pigment and in my humble oppinion has a less than perfect application, whereas medium maintains the pigment strength and has a much better application. ie it goes on the canvas more evenly. Try the medium and do some practice runs using your usual water first then use the medium and compare the results.

I'd love to 'have a go' at some flowers/foliage but it's a bit scary. I may try a small canvas to see how I fare - I adore flowers and always try to surround myself with them.Gail perhaps you could buy 2 or 3 very small canvases, say 8" x 8" perhaps, and have a practice run doing just leaves. Collect different varieties of leaves and study them live, looking at how the light plays on them, where the warmer shadows are and the colder highlights. Then paint them. Different types on different canvases. You will learn so much this way, and you will also no doubt have a series of very interesting little works that could well be hung together as a group. Later after all this practice you could go a bigger canvas and paint a gorgeous flower with some expert foliage.

Ruth I quite like the idea of doing a workshop. Will pm you soon to discuss this further. :thumbsup:

C_Line
04-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Dagnabit! How can you discuss a workshop half way around the world that I can't come to?! :crying: :crying: :crying: Anxious to see more on this wonderful painting.

bullyluvver
04-29-2007, 02:37 AM
Yeah...how could you! That's cruel, so cruel! Lol...

fayre
04-29-2007, 03:31 AM
Elaine, thanks for this brilliant tutorial. Your work is wonderful.
faye

amaze_1101
04-29-2007, 05:38 AM
I didn't get much done today. Went out with hubby instead for a stroll around the botanical gardens and took some ref pics while we were there. It is so lovely just now with all the autumn colour.

I did manage to pick up the brushes for a short poke at the canvas :lol: and gave the background darks another coat then added some 'sky holes' in places to break it up a bit and let in a little light coming from behind.

In the morning I'll work on the other areas of the background. I have some much darker leaves hiding in among the darks that need some work. Will update with more pics of all this soon.

Celeste & Gail a workshop may not even happen so no need to worry. If it does however, you can always venture over here.... (hint hint :smug: )

Thanks so much Faye:wave:

edtree
04-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks Elaine! I've need to pick up some other supplies so this is good timing. I'll look for one of those brands of medium and try it. :D

Elizabeth

Café LoLa
04-29-2007, 01:51 PM
I've always wanted to visit New Zealand - good enough excuse to go!

amaze_1101
04-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi again:wave:
This is where I'm at so far.

I worked in the background leaves (which are not easy to see in the image here) and finished the 'sky holes' mentioned earlier. Below this pic is a comparison of the canvas without the 'sky holes' and then with them so you can see how they open things up and liven up the background.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2007/41055-NEW_Autumn_Leaves_3.jpg

Background Comparison ...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2007/41055-demo_8.jpg

These are the brushes I'm using, and I will also use a fine round brush for veins later (which I forgot to add to the pic.) The angled brush, 2nd from left is excellent for working the pointy leaves and also for shading. The large filbert on the far right wasn't used much in this work but I added it in to show what I normally use in most of my large flower paintings for the first layer of paint. It's about 34" wide.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2007/41055-DEMO_005.jpg

Next I worked on the small branch on the far left of the canvas. In this pic I'm adding the first bark texture after an initial glaze of highlight down the centre of the branch. I will glaze further texture over this later.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2007/41055-DEMO_001.jpg

After this texture was dry I added a glaze over the top using burnt sienna, then when that was dry I added a dark glaze down each side in Prussian blue using the angled brush. Later I'll add a further glaze or two over this in the highlighted area to lighten it more and give the branch a more 'rounded' effect.
(The pigment/medium ratio here is about 20%/80% respectively.)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2007/41055-DEMO_004.jpg

It's not easy taking photos with my left hand while I paint with my right. :eek: But hey I'll do anything for my friends! :cool: :thumbsup:

:D

C_Line
04-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks again for taking time to show photos and specifics about brushes & colors used - good lesson for us.

Nitsa
04-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Looking good as always Elaine!
GREAT pictures that explain your process really clearly, so I have rated this thread.

amaze_1101
04-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Last update for today.

I worked on the main branch here, adding texture by using Impasto Medium with a little pigment mixed in. Applying this using my tiny palette knife, I scrapped it across the branch in a slightly curved motion to accentuate it's rounded form.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2007/41055-DEMO2_001.jpg

This is how it looks now and will take a while to dry. When it is I will lay extra glazes of colour over it for added interest. The little white patches are where some patches of lichen will be painted in later.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2007/41055-DEMO2_002.jpg

Kerch
04-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Looks wonderful Elaine. Thanks for sharing your steps. Very interesting.

Gillette
04-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Elaine,
you're a lovely, generous lady sharing your incredible talent with us all, and I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to do so. I love your work.
Jane.

eyepaint
04-30-2007, 01:20 AM
Hi again:wave:
It's not easy taking photos with my left hand while I paint with my right. :eek:

How do you take a sip of coffee if your hands are full? :)

This is a fantastic WIP you're sharing! Thank you for the closeups of the bark texture application - impasto and knifework are so fun!

Cheers,

bullyluvver
04-30-2007, 06:26 AM
Fabulous WIP Elaine, thank you, and I really like how you've opened it up with the sky holes!

Gail

amaze_1101
04-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Morning peeps.
I'll get into the studio soon. Just got to wake the kids and see them off to school first. Should have another update later this afternoon.

Celeste & Brian Thanks
Anita Thanks for the rating.

EP I take my coffee intravenously. There's no other way to have coffee is there?!! :lol:

Gail Yes the sky hoes work well, but I'm thinking I may soften the edges by drybrushing them later to push them back further.

Jane thanks for the kind words. You're more than welcome.:wave:

:wave: :wave: :wave:

rmc
04-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Elaine - you are so good at your so so informative WIP - I am going to give you a mentor point (have already given you 5 stars yesterday - but you keep getting better)
Love the texture effect on the bark- how did you come up with this idea? - was it a result of your holiday ? - relaxing a little -free time to let new creativity flow?

C_Line
04-30-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm giving you a mentor point too...first one I've ever given! You deserve it for sure. Thanks for showing us how to make bark.

amaze_1101
04-30-2007, 11:12 PM
Hi Ruth and Celeste
Adding impasto texture for a trunk or branch has always sat at the back of my mind. Just been waiting for a time to use it. Thanks for the mentor points, You're so sweet.

Here is the same branch with some glazing added after the impasto dried.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2007/41055-DEMO3.jpg

Not sure if you see any difference here. The left image is before added galzes, right pic after glazes. (There's a bit of glare on the left pic sorry)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2007/41055-Demo_Texture.jpg

Below is what I've been up to most of today. Working on the green leaves adding the first glaxes of lemon yellow and titanium white to add to their form. I will add further glazing using the napthol red used in the red leaves and also my trusty cobalt blue here and there.
I also worked on the vines adding shadows down each side to give them roundness and some highlighting down the centre.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2007/41055-DEMO4_001.jpg

Leaf detail for a closer look...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2007/41055-DEMO4_003.jpg

bullyluvver
05-01-2007, 01:45 AM
The bark is sooo cleverly done I can almost feel it.

Gail

Andun
05-01-2007, 01:48 AM
You make me want to be a better artists!!!

amaze_1101
05-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Morning :wave:
Well I wanted to get into the studio early today, but lately I've been pulling my hair out using a couple of brushes that should have been tossed in the bin months ago. So there's nothing else for it but to go into to town and get new ones. I'll be back in the studio by lunch time. More updates still to come.

Thanks Gail. Using mediums for texture is so easy. Everyone should try it. :thumbsup:

Thankyou Anthoiny that's such a sweet thing to say. :wave:

amaze_1101
05-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi again.:wave:
Where is everyone? :cat:

I'm almost finished this now.

Working on the leaves I added a white highlighted stripe effect down each side of the centre of each red leaf using titanium white, then a fine dark vein line down the centre and above the highlighted stripes using cobalt blue.
Once this was dry I added 2 glazes, first cobalt blue to the darker areas and lemon yellow just here and there. These glazes help to accentuate the curves and folds of each leaf.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2007/41055-DEMO_Middle.jpg

For the green leaves I didn't work any viens into them, but just added the glazes in the same way as for the red leaves, using cobalt blue and the napthol red. Using the the napthol red helps lock the two different coloured leaves together

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2007/41055-DEMO_Glazes.jpg

Will finish off this morning and post the final update this afternoon. Hope you havn't all gone fishing. Thanks for those following along and sorry if it's too long winded or a bit dull. :o

Linee
05-02-2007, 04:13 PM
You have such a patience and an eye for detail. Amazing work!

bullyluvver
05-02-2007, 05:05 PM
DULL? Did you say DULL? You must be kidding, I've been glued to this thread since you started it AND saved it to my faves so I don't lose it, lol. My only regret is that it won't be hanging on my wall at the end of it <sigh>

Gail

C_Line
05-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Elaine - what brand is your "lemon yellow"?

rmc
05-02-2007, 06:33 PM
you have no idea how grateful I am for the details on leaf painting - you could have heard the proverbial clunk of the aha moment right down in ChCh - painting the darker thin line first and then glazing over it to tie it into the leaf -excellent sequence. Now big Q - Are you copying this effect from the photo or is it an additional effect to bring harmony / rhythm to the leaves which nature may have left out a tad? ie - do you do this even on the leaves where it isn't seen on the photo?
Love the point about using the same colours in the glazes to tie the different areas together - I'm beginning to think of painting more like music now - the little repeated background notes that both tie it together and give it beauty.

amaze_1101
05-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks Linda

Gail you're a sweety!

Celeste 90% of all my colours, including lemon yellow are W&N 'Finity'. The prussian blue and purple madder I use are Jo Sonja. I have just purchased some lemon yellow and burt sienna by Golden to see what they're like, although I am perfectly happy with Finity.

You have no idea how grateful I am for the details on leaf painting - you could have heard the proverbial clunk of the aha moment right down in ChCh - painting the darker thin line first and then glazing over it to tie it into the leaf -excellent sequence. Now big Q - Are you copying this effect from the photo or is it an additional effect to bring harmony / rhythm to the leaves which nature may have left out a tad? ie - do you do this even on the leaves where it isn't seen on the photo?

Love the point about using the same colours in the glazes to tie the different areas together.

Ruth Copying from the photo stops well before the glazing. By now I am using my imagination rather than what I see. So yes, the glazing is just out of my head really. There are always more colours in nature than the eye ever notices, and so I like to throw them in here and there. Especially on the leaves, always being careful not to change the fact that the 'leaf is green' and NOT rainbow coloured. It has to be subtle and not uniform.

Tying different areas together is very important in any theme. All areas need to harmonise and so taking a colour from one area and using it in a seperate area will bring all the parts together to form the whole. Hope that makes some sense. (Geepers I need a coffee...:eek: )

debsn2paintn
05-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Not only are you just so talented, but you are just the sweetest person to take the time to photograph all these close ups to help! Thanks you soooo very much :)

This is just so beautiful! I would have never thought to paint leaves, and I think this is one of my favorites!

Margaret 59
05-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Elaine, I'm just fascinated with your WIP, having only just read the whole lot. Thanks a bunch!

amaze_1101
05-03-2007, 05:07 AM
Thanks so much Debbie and Margaret.

Spent a little time tidying edges and tweeking here and there this afternoon, now it's all finished and hanging on the wall.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2007/41055-NEW_Autumn_Leaves_4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2007/41055-Hanging.jpg

Thanks for following along. :wave:

C_Line
05-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Absolutely, wonderfully, fantastically gorgeous. The spot of sunlight on the lower bark is perfect. My favorite area of the painting. And look at the section where someone's been munching on the leaves...so interesting.

Assaf
05-03-2007, 09:14 AM
It's so beautiful! Your composition is great, and the emphasis on details is wonderful.
This was a great lesson. I never used impasto medium, and now I really want to.

idcrisis55
05-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Beautiful work and a great thread, Elaine. I really like that final photo of it hanging on the wall.

amaze_1101
05-03-2007, 03:02 PM
The spot of sunlight on the lower bark is perfect. My favorite area of the painting.
Thanks Celeste, Actually it isn't exactly sunlight on that lower branch but yellowy moss with lichen. :o

This was a great lesson. I never used impasto medium, and now I really want to.
Thanks Assaf and welcome to the fourm.:wave: You will love working with impasto. It is so useful in all sorts of areas. It's great for adding some interest in an empty area like a large background in a still life for example, as well as anything thing that has a rough texture in life. :thumbsup:

I really like that final photo of it hanging on the wall.
Thanks Ann. yes, it's nice to see where a painting my 'live' after it has been worked on.:cat:

bullyluvver
05-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Absolutely stunningly beautiful!!!! Thank you so much Elaine for sharing this with us and please, please do another one very soon.

Gail

Charlie's Mum
05-03-2007, 05:45 PM
It's been super to watch this vine grow!
The different textures, the glorious colour and such attention to detail - thanks for sharing your passion Elaine - it's a beautiful result.

Many thanks too for the generous sharing of your methods.

You deserve all the kudos coming your way :D