PDA

View Full Version : Suede Matboard

Sandy K
05-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Where does anyone buy this stuff? Is it possible to buy suede at like JoAnne's and mount it on a hardwood board. Just curious because I would like to try it without having to buy a minimum of 10 boards from Blick's or Jerry's. Can I get it it at JoAnne's or Michael's in the framing department? Sorry for the questions....as you can see, I don't have a clue...lol..

Donna T
05-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi Sandy! I bought a large scrap of suede matboard at JoAnn's. I haven't used it or anything like it yet, just wanted to have a piece to play around with someday. There is no brand marking on the back of the piece I have so I have no idea if this is from an archival line or not. Maybe if there is a JoAnn's near you they could tell you which brand they use. Sometimes their scrap matboards have the tiniest flaws - they're good to practice on for a small price!

Donna T

Sandy K
05-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Thank you Donna for the response. It is a start for me anyway. I had no idea where to get the stuff. Is it expensive?? I have a ton of Masonite....I was hoping someone would respond to that part of my question whether suede can be mounted to hardboard and if they tried it and were successful.

chewie
05-04-2007, 02:57 PM
i don't think mounting would work very well, but you may find a way to make it happen, so experiement!

the suede board is verrryy spendy, i wish i could frame with it more, but i cannot afford it. if you find somewhere to buy the middles cheap, you'd be lucky.

johndill01
05-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Some frame shops have mat centers that they will sell, just be advised that the mat board is very pricey. Quite frequently over $50 US for a sheet of this mat.

John

Sandy K
05-04-2007, 06:36 PM
wow....that is pricey............gonna have to check it out. Thanks John and Chewie!

sailmary
05-12-2007, 04:04 PM
A frame shop in Asheville, NC said a 32x40 inch sheet would cost $30.00.

QueenBArt
05-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Sandy,

All I use is suedeboard. From what I have been told is that yes Joanne's has it, and Michael's as well. I've heard they sell it pretty cheap too, plus you can buy their scraps for cheap (from what I have been told) and this is a good way to get practice. Most private framing shops do not carry this in stock and a full sheet, 32x40(black core) 23x40 & 36x40(white core) is going to run you about $30-$40 a sheet. Cut that into 16x20's my prefered size to work in and it's $10 a board, which is reasonable to canvas, and some high grade papers.
Suedeboard is not for everyone, so I would recomend starting small and play first, it take time to learn it's unique ways.

I purchased mine from an art store. On a whim I asked if they had any, the first answer was no, the second was 'let us check in the back,' long story short, over the next three months as stock was sorted they found over 8 boxes in assorted colors that I purchased at $9 a sheet, this was because they didn't know they had it and since I was the only one who had been interested they decided to clean house, I think I got like 30 sheets, and it was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Also concerning suede I have noticed, and a few other folks I've talked to have noticed this as well, the darker colored boards do not hold the pastel as well. They even have a different feel to them compared to lighter colors boards. We're assuming it's the dye, but I'm not certain. I would start with a light colored board, my two favorite colors to work with that are neutral are Pearl, and Dune. I would recomend this to start with.

I'm a little confused with what you are talking about with mounting it to masonite? My easel is a tad too high to clamp a 16x20, so I do tape it to a masonite panel to hold it while I'm working, but I would never permanently mount it. Suedeboard you will find out is a very durable board, that flexes but at the same time is rigid enough to withstand alot of pushing and pulling. It's pretty heavy duty.

Another plus to suedeboard is that framers LOVE to cut it. Instead of tearing a blade down like the sanded papers, and some mat board, suede actually has a polishing factor to a blade. So it saves them as well. My framer was so thrilled by what I do on suede she ordered an entire set of corners so I can see the colors and will order through her once my supply is out. So it has plenty of perks.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions let me know I'll be happy to help. :-)

QueenBArt
05-14-2007, 10:18 AM
I sent you a PM btw :-)

sundiver
05-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Michael's has it, not cheap. I asked about scraps at the local one and was told no. At the place they do sell scraps it is at the going rate (whatever fraction of the whole sheet.
Sometimes the scrapbooking stores has suede paper, 9x12. I got some at Leisure World $3.59 I think. Couldn't find any at Michael's.

Sandy K
05-14-2007, 01:30 PM
thank you everyone.......I was going to ask at JoAnne's and Michael's but I got tied up this last week.

Kristen, yes I just got your PM....thank you so much and for all the advice. I appreciate it.

Pabs
05-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Hi all. I'm quite new to all of this but would ask; does anyone know if this material is avaliable in England, and if so, then where? Is it expensive as per average costs of other surfaces?
Thanks.
Regards,
Pabs

sundiver
05-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Hi all. I'm quite new to all of this but would ask; does anyone know if this material is avaliable in England, and if so, then where? Is it expensive as per average costs of other surfaces?
Thanks.
Regards,
Pabs

Maybe you call it mountboard but it is used in framing, and pastelists have taken it on as a working surface. So you could check with some framers as to its availability there.